Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can The Auris In Car Stereo System Read Dvd Audio Discs?

Hoof Hearted

My Auris is the Auris 1.8 VVT-i Hybrid (MY13) Icon.

I'm off on a jolly tomorrow to the Big Smoke so I thought I would burn an iTunes Playlist or two to a disc to listen to on the journey. I have plenty of DVD-R type discs but only one CD-R. So I wonder if it is okay to burn to a DVD rather than a CD?

I used to have a Nissan that had a CD player instead of a Tape deck. It couldn't read DVDs of course. But that car was made in 1999 and in-car entertainment tech in those days wasn't very advanced compared with nowadays (no iPods then). My previous Auris SR (2011 model) I only used burned CDs in as far as I can remember.

So I'm wondering, if I burn a playlist to a DVD-R, will it work in my all singing/all dancing Auris Hybrid (my first car with that really useful reversing camera I've often hankered for)?

Good idea. I hadn't thought of that.

Do you mean just save the playlist from iTunes to a USB stick or the actual files themselves?

Hi, does your car have a USB socket, say close to te handbrake, just that my 2012 Rav 4 does, it has a little rubber cover over it.

I just put (Burnt) loads of CD's using my computer onto a USB stick, it takes no time at all, i think the official term is 'Ripping'.....anyway instead of having to play each CD the music transfers onto the USB stick in seconds.

When the USB stick is in the car all the albums show on the sat nav screen, which track it is and allows you to pick which CD you wish to listen to, you get lots of interesting graphics too!

Mike.

• Like 1

If you have any music on your pc that you like drag and drop your favourite tracks on to memory stick the bigger the memory the more music it will hold.

If you go down this route of storing your music i doubt if you will need a stick of too great a capacity. As my wife literally has 10 foot of CD's if they are in their cases i thought they might not all fit on one USB stick so i bought a 128Gb one.......now i put them all on the stick and it still has over 100Gb's of unused space so i would imagine one of 28 or 32 Gb's will do you fine, and a lot cheaper too!

Mike.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

If you go down this route of storing yor music i doubt if you will need a stick of too great a capacity. As my wife literally has 10 foot of CD's if they are in their cases i thought they might not all fit on one USB stick so i bought a 128Gb one.......now i put them all on the stick and it still has over 100Gb's of unused space so i would imagine one of 28 or 32 Gb's will do you fine, and a lot cheaper too!

Mike.

Thanks Mate. I will try this of course. The trouble is, of the five or six USB sticks I own, each and every one of them is a replacement for the one that stopped working before. I can store stuff on them, can even read them okay. But as soon as I add any data they get screwed up for some reason. Maybe I should chuck as much as I can on a new stick the first time I use it and forget any unused space?

I run my music direct from my iPod via bluetooth,iPod stays in my pocket so nothing to attract thieves.

When charging is needed I made a small black pouch out of material plus I bought a short BLACK lead.

When its in the little tray by the USB plug its all but invisible to the casual thief.

Not the cheapest way but iPods are going on a daily basis on eBay.

I run my music direct from my iPod via bluetooth,iPod stays in my pocket so nothing to attract thieves.

When charging is needed I made a small black pouch out of material plus I bought a short BLACK lead.

When its in the little tray by the USB plug its all but invisible to the casual thief.

Not the cheapest way but iPods are going on a daily basis on eBay.

Yes. I run my iPod via a USB connector sometimes; it quite an old iPod now and doesn't have bluetooth. I put the iPod in the coin holder-like slot would you believe. When my daughter is in the car, it detects her iPhone and we play music from that.

My question though was can the disk player read DVDs? I suppose I will just have to burn one and see.

Hi Dean

When i plug my USB stick into my Rav 4 i get the complete 'running list' of what's on the stick, i see the album covers and each individual track and i can skip albums if i want to. I am not sure how much of this is down to the cars stereo system or the USB stick but it works faultlessly so what i am saying is if you have the facility to put your music on a stick and plug it into your car you will have 1000's of hours of tracks you might want to listen to. I take your point about putting data on the stick as well, sticks can be cheap to buy, you don't have to over do it by buying a one of too great a capacity like i did but if you keep it for music only it seems to work 100%. I have even put the USB stick in my TV and have exactly the same results and the graphics on the screen just in case the album cover cannot be displayed is like a giroscope and amazing and enjoying to watch. I do not consider myself a person that knows all about all this but all i can say is it worked for me.

Oh and sorry i cannot advise you about disc players reading DVD's.

Good luck, Mike.

USB sticks are marvellous in that they hold loads of music. But in the Auris they are a bit annoying as the USB player always starts automatically if there is a USB inserted, even if the audio was switched off when the car was last used.

The answer is probably no.

I searched the net, and so far came up with the following which may be similar:

https://carmanuals2.com/get/toyota-prius-2015-2015-prius-audio-video-system-operation-10555

Go to page 71 of the PDF and you will find the it only play standard DVD videos not DVD audio.

I suspect the only way you can hear MP3 music is through the USB or bluetooth.

Anyway, using a memory stick has far more advantages - faster to add music, far larger capacity (DVD = 4.7 GB, USB memory sticks 4GB - 128 GB), MP3 and similar compression which means more music. Price is falling.

transfer the MP3 files themselves. I helped a friend find the iTunes music she downloaded on her PC. She transferred them to her phone.

If you have issues using memory sticks, try and format using FAT32, try to place music in folders or just place the music on the main directory. Some audio systems don't like sub folders, and may not even see the music files.

Look in the handbook and it should tell you everything I and other have said.