Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel Locking Nuts

already taken

Hi

Any one have any ideas how to get a wheel locking nut off . I have the key but it will not budge. My neighbour has air gun and this couldn't move it.

Do you mean it won't turn? Use a well fitting socket with a decent long Tommy bar

Er yep his pneumatic gun delivers 190 lb torque and with the proper locking nut removal fitting no joy!!!!!!!!!

I once had a hub nut on a Mazda 6 which I couldn't undo using a good pneumatic gun, but it undid using a 3 foot tommy bar with a pole on the end.

Never had a problem with one of these

38129.jpg

be careful not to round the locking nut key.

Hi

Any one have any ideas how to get a wheel locking nut off . I have the key but it will not budge. My neighbour has air gun and this couldn't move it.

?Has it rounded off or is it just rusted up...

Hi Exvec

I had two tyres changed on the front last week and the guy had great trouble getting the locking nuts undone. The main problem is you need to put tremendous force holding the locking nut key against the wheel otherwise it just spins off. Real rubbish design and im trying to get them off to replace them with something different. Not bothered if i wreck it getting it off. Thanks for the advice. I guess the alloy has corroded a little.

I took off my 4 locking wheel nuts as I could see the time when I would fail to get one off-probably on a dark wet motorway at night! The problem is that the pattern recess in the special socket is only about a 1/8th inch deep and unless the socket is dead square to the locking nut it will twist out of location and not loosen the nut. I think in the days when alloy wheels were very expensive and rare there was perhaps an argument for these things but not so much now particularly the problems they cause. My MOT garage recently noted that I did not have locknuts fitted they said how much business they get from taking off ones which are immovable-usually from the owners letting the socket slip and damage the lock pattern. They usually weld a nut on the locknuts to renove them!

Hi Sproutdreamer

Yep i totally agree a poor design. I took my car back to Toyota as they had not long serviced it and the got the locking nut off for me with no charge.

I asked the guy how he got it off,bearing in mind i had told them i wasn't bothered if they wrecked the nut getting it off. He said he just hammered the key onto the the nut. I've noticed they are still using these on new vehicles.

I have changed mine now to a type that has three pin locators which have a much deeper seating and hopefully should be ok.

I have a set of these ,they are very good at this type of thing,i use it with a impact wrench and it works almost every time.and i have no affiliation with the seller.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IRWIN-5-Pce-EXPANSION-Bolt-Grip-Damaged-Rounded-Nut-Remover-Set-8-19mm-10504635-/261719666285?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cefb52e6d

I have a torque wrench, and I loosen and re-tighten the locking nuts to the correct setting once a month, and as soon as I get the car back when it's been in a garage.

I've never known a garage to torque the nuts correctly. I use e-tyres for my tyres, and part of their routine is to get you to witness them torquing the wheel nuts. They tighten to the click of the torque wrench, and then another half a turn or two!

I only do this because I had a locking bolt stuck on a Peugeot 407. They are tamper proof on the Pug, so if you try to weld to the locking bolt or use a reverse-thread removal tool, the keyed part comes off leaving a domed top to the bolt.

This domed top was of some type of metal that didn't want to be welded to (slightly goldy coloured)! Thankfully this happened at work and we have a professional welder working with us. We tried all manor of things to get the thing out! Penetrating oil, heat, freeze, hammering etc. After a couple of hours, we got it out by drilling into the bolt (which took an age and several drill bits!), hammered in some square bar which was too big for the hole, welded it in place and swung from it using a tommy bar.

I'd never have managed it at home, or at the side of the road with a flat. I don't want to end up in that situation!

@ Ex Vec....Them Irwin bolt grips are a excellent addition to the toolbox I got mine from machine-mart a couple of year ago.

they have helped me out a few times

• Like 1