Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Yaris 2015, Nsp13F, Replacement Projector Headlamp Bulbs:

mechanic39

Hallo, OEM bulbs are 55W HIR2, hard to find and expensive. Philips has a type "9012", but what other alternatives are available, which fit and work well, and don't cost over € 15 each ? Has anyone fitted Osram Night-Breaker HB 4 (9006NBU-HCB), or simular bulbs ? Note: The New 2015 Yaris has allround upgraded light bulbs, gone are the metal-bayonet end caps, replaced by Glass Wedge fittings, and other Tech.solutions. Also, no "Spare-Bulb" kit under the seat !

Your answers and experiences are appreciated.

See http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/153247-yaris-hybrid-headlights/page-3?hl=%2Bpoor+%2Bheadlights#entry1314536

Basically neither Philips nor Osram, the only two manufacturers of HIR2 bulbs, offer upgrade bulbs in this fitting.

You can consider 9006 bulbs but will need to modify the base in order for these bulbs to fit in place of the HIR2 bulbs.

Leaving aside headlight bulbs, I have fitted (where possible) LED equivalent bulbs for all my smaller glass ones...

For the boot light (slightly longer 38mm festoon than the normal 31mm):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HE5DV1O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

For the interior lights (these really compliment the colour temp of the footwell LED lights already there):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-T10-W5W-501-194-168-Car-White-20-SMD-LED-Interior-Side-Light-Wedge-Bulb-Lamp-/331348796146?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d25ed62f2

For the rear number plate lights:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-501-T10-W5W-CAPLESS-WEDGE-5-SMD-LED-HID-6000K-WHITE-SIDE-LIGHT-BULBS-L-K-/300697145148?hash=item4602f24f3c

Still trying to find some better replacements for the front fog lights as the standard ones are a bit pathetic... (IMO)

• 4 weeks later...

I take it they went in without any fitting issues? I'd be interested in pictures...

no problems at all, my car is the 2015 yaris sport with the projection headlights, the bulbs are HIR2 fitment, just unplug the old ones and in with the new, direct replacement!

ok so trying to take pictures showing the light difference but its not happening, im waiting to get my DSLR back to try and take some pics with that (fingers crossed it works) hopefully have some soon!

Leaving aside headlight bulbs, I have fitted (where possible) LED equivalent bulbs for all my smaller glass ones...

For the boot light (slightly longer 38mm festoon than the normal 31mm):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HE5DV1O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

For the interior lights (these really compliment the colour temp of the footwell LED lights already there):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-T10-W5W-501-194-168-Car-White-20-SMD-LED-Interior-Side-Light-Wedge-Bulb-Lamp-/331348796146?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d25ed62f2

For the rear number plate lights:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-501-T10-W5W-CAPLESS-WEDGE-5-SMD-LED-HID-6000K-WHITE-SIDE-LIGHT-BULBS-L-K-/300697145148?hash=item4602f24f3c

Still trying to find some better replacements for the front fog lights as the standard ones are a bit pathetic... (IMO)

you can get a 31mm LED festoon from eBay, have not got one yet but i did change my number plate lights, work a treat, and my car doesnt have footwell lights, i am planning on putting some in and linking them from the interior light so they dim with the interior light? anyone know if that would work??

I think you missed my point. The Yaris boot light REQUIRES a 38mm festoon bulb not a 31...

Looking good! So, the link you put up was for the 7500K ones but your photo is flagged as 9700K? Do you have a link for those? (only ones I can find are "Platinum white 8500K"?)

Sorry mine are the 7500k i only did it from memory, not very good imho i would get the 8500 as there is a slight color difference when you switch from the daylights to the main lights in the dark but its not enough for me to conplain about

That's what I figured... I've gone for the 8500K ones... :)

Sorry mine are the 7500k i only did it from memory, not very good imho i would get the 8500 as there is a slight color difference when you switch from the daylights to the main lights in the dark but its not enough for me to conplain about

When you say "switch from the daylights to the main lights", exactly what are you meaning? Do you mean the daytime running lights (LEDs)?

Right. I thought so... The fogs are proving to be difficult to find replacements for... (the standard ones are pathetic!)

I hanen't looked yet i did have mine out today tho am i right in thinking they are H13? And FYI the lights took 2-3 weeks to be delivered but they are much better than the originals ill also have a loom for fogs and if i find anything ill post and let you know

No, they are 19W H16 as standard... (which may prove to be a problem if the housing/cabling can't take a higher wattage/temperature...)

Also, don't get fooled by some of the "H16" ones on e-bay! They are the WRONG base! Base is a 90 degree type similar to the headlight bulbs...

Yea i know they are a 90 degree angle but there is more than enough cable on both sides and enough space if they are a straight end base

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/151635571748?nav=SEARCH

A friend of mine bought these for his vauxhall corsa side lights, they do look good when they are on but he only paid 75p for each of his from one of the industrial estates round here, ill find out and get back to you on this!

I already have a couple similar to those...

a. they don't go straight in without some modification (which I don't want to do)

b. I'm not just interested in how they look, I'm interested in how they function...

c. ...and any replacement has to perform properly as a genuine fog light with a low wide beam complete with flat top cutoff (which actually means that the lit element/filament needs to line up correctly inside the housing so that the lens works correctly...)

d. I don't need a second set of daytime running lights (which is what all the LED replacements seem to be...)

(yeah, I know, I'm OCD... ;) )

That's what I figured... I've gone for the 8500K ones... :)

What's that old saying? "You pay peanuts and you get monkeys!" or to put it another way, "I just spent £13 so you don't have to!" :(

These bulbs are rubbish! They are white(ish) yes but they are nowhere near as bright as the original Philips HIR2 bulbs and having looked closely at the GP Thunder bulbs and compared them side by side with the Philips, it's all about the quality of construction. The envelope mounting/construction in the base looks cheap and actually doesn't look as strong as the Philips bulbs. More importantly, and I suspect is why these GP Thunders don't work so well, the actual filament inside the envelope is not exactly central in the envelope. In the Philips bulbs, it is, whichever angle you look at. This probably means that the filament in the GP Thunders are not at the exact focal point of the reflector inside the housing and why they don't work well.

They are so dim by comparison, that I would consider it dangerous to try and drive with them at night, even on main beam...

Don't be tempted people!!! :nono:

Sorry you feel that way although i dont see how you can fault them i have drove in the night with them and they are fine and im personally happy with them