Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris D4D 55 Plate Change?

Trixtope

My wife has a 5door Yaris D4D 55plate with 55,000 on the clock. Its in perfect condition with no problems at service. She does about 5000 miles per year.

We are looking at changing it but Dont like the petrol one (too light) and prefer the perr 2011 style change.

However, is it really worth changing a low mileage diesel car? What sort of expense is comming up in service, and what sort of depreciation are we looking at per year now?

The car is fantastic, and we love it to bits!!

If you're looking at the post 2011 Yaris D4D it may have a diesel particulate filter, which probably won't be suited to your low annual mileage if a lot of short journeys are involved

If you happy with what you got and its running well, then why change?

Keep the service schedule up to date, particularly oil and filters and at 5000 miles per year you got many years left in it.

Change to a newer one and there may be compromises and as Mike says above, other factors to consider.

With such a low annual mileage, if you did change I would consider a petrol version anyway.

Or you could consider the Yaris Hybrid. 50mpg all winter with mainly short runs on cold engine. Beats the diesel hands down for your sort of mileage.

Our d4d is 2 years older than yours - similar mileage - and is still going strong...

Or you could consider the Yaris Hybrid. 50mpg all winter with mainly short runs on cold engine. Beats the diesel hands down for your sort of mileage.

As Ian has said, have a look at the Yaris Hybrid, your only regret will probably be not having looked at one sooner.

My 2005 D4D has 127,000 miles now. In the past 60K we have replaced the following: Front discs and pads, front wheel bearing and ABS sensor, rear brake shoes and handbrake adjustment clips. Last year it required some new brake pipes for MOT and aside from lubrication and filter services and a couple sets of tyres I think the only other major expense has been a Battery and a fuel contamination issue which required nothing monetary to sort out. Sounds a lot but the biggest actual bill was £280 for MOT last year and that was mostly due to the brake pipes and abs sensor.

Ours is getting a little tatty cosmetically and there is some rot setting in, however I see no reason to change the car and intend to extract the full value and mileage from it - 200K maybe. I've just taken this car back off my missus who needed something larger for the kids, it's my commuter now and will probably rack up 20K in the next year. With her 5k annual mileage, the lack of DPF meant no issues with short trips in town.

If you do decide to change, a Mk1 diesel with that mileage should be worth decent money compared to similar age of Corsa/Clio

IMHO the Mk1 Yaris D4D is the best small car Toyota has ever made. It's the most reliable of the 3 versions of Yaris diesel and, in the real world, the most economical. It is also the most fun to drive! It doesn't have the nicely balanced handling of the Aygo, but is only slightly heavier with a much more powerful engine.

If you're happy with it, I'd stick with it - that car still has years of reliable service to give. :D

If you do sell it tho', make sure you get top dollar for it - 5-door Mk1 Yaris D4D T-Spirit's with low mileage, esp. ones in good nick, are EXTREMELY rare and still sell for more than older Mk2's!!!

When I was hunting for one a few years ago, sub-60k ones were still selling for £4-5000! :eek: (And were mostly in Scotland for some reason :unsure:)

I'm not so keen on newer diesels; All the EURO emissions crap they stick on them just makes them more likely to go wrong, esp. with short journeys that don't let the engine heat up enough.

The Mk3 Yaris HSD would do well with your sort of journeys, but it's a lot less fun to drive and you'd have to buy it for reasons other than economics as they're quite expensive even second hand and would save you next to nothing on fuel over the Mk1 D4D.

The Mk3 Yaris HSD would do well with your sort of journeys, but it's a lot less fun to drive

All down to personal opinion, myself, and a lot of others, would beg to differ ;)

Well I didn't think many people would rate the HSD engines as particularly 'exciting' or 'fun' to drive.

This isn't a bad thing mind; Just a characteristic of different engine types - On the flipside, I would say they are very smooth and relaxing to drive - It almost feels more like gliding along than driving.
It's not very evocative when you're hooning around a twisty hilly country road (The D4D is so fun for hauling up a hill :D), but I imagine it'd be much nicer when you're on a relaxing cruise. (And I have on occasion wished I had one when stuck in deadlocked foot-at-a-time traffic!)

Heck, Toyota's aren't generally considered fun or exciting to drive these days, but you'd have to pry my Yaris out of my cold dead hands :wub:

Well I didn't think many people would rate the HSD engines as particularly 'exciting' or 'fun' to drive.

You don't have to rag an engine to enjoy yourself.

Something very enjoyable able sitting in traffic in silence, using us fuel, and coasting along as an EV.

I'd keep your current car TBH, it's done next to no mileage for a diesel and if you haven't had any problems with it even more reasons to keep it IMO. As long as it is being regularly serviced should give you many more miles. With or without DPF diesel engines benefit from a good run out regularly.

I've just part ex'd a Mk 2 55 Yaris D4D with well over 120.000 miles on it. Started getting niggles the last 20k. My first Mk 1 diesel Yaris did over 217,000 before it was on its last legs.

You don't have to rag an engine to enjoy yourself.

Something very enjoyable able sitting in traffic in silence, using us fuel, and coasting along as an EV.

People find enjoyment or fun in different ways .......

If i was in your position, I`d keep your yaris, and service it regularly, and spray the underside with waxoil or just old engine oil if you`re tight like me....the only thing that will end its useful life is rust.....other things can be replaced as they wear out etc

According to Honest John (http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/) the economic life of a modern car is now 7 years. After this time it is quite possible that a major repair will exceed the value of the car. Given that taxation is likely to rise on diesel engined cars in forthcoming years I would be looking for a change. Just my 2p's worth! :blow:

According to Honest John (http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/) the economic life of a modern car is now 7 years. After this time it is quite possible that a major repair will exceed the value of the car.

But that is only a problem if it needs a major repair.

Say the car is 'worth' £2,000. If it is working OK then changing it to a new one (say a £12,000 value) will cost £10,000. So you are spending £10,000 in a bit of a gamble to avoid possibly being stuck with a £0 car.

But if it does need a £2,000 repair you could have that done and still have a £2,000 car - and having saved £8,000.

Yeah, it's not that simple because all sorts of other, personal, values and emotions get involved, but you need to be wary of using statistics like the one above.

There are an awful lot of 10+ year old cars pootling around quite happily and the motor trade would dearly love us to trade them in for something newer.

• Like 1

The car is 9-9.5 years old. The heaviest depreciation will have been in the first 3 years of its life, depreciation will have slowed down by now, and will be the least of your worries. If the Yaris is running OK and you're happy with it, keep it.

If you fancy a change, change it.

It is really down to what you want ......

• Like 1

The Mk1 D4D has proven high longevity and is still cheaper to run, tax and service than most modern cars. It will also be far cheaper to insure than a new car.

There is literally no economic advantage to changing it out.

The only real reason to change is if you really want a change.

As I said, tho', the car has very strong residuals as the 5-door Mk1 D4D's are very rare and ones in good condition are quite sought after (It took me ages to find my one! :D), so if you do sell it, don't get short-changed!

• Like 1

According to Honest John (http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/) the economic life of a modern car is now 7 years. After this time it is quite possible that a major repair will exceed the value of the car. Given that taxation is likely to rise on diesel engined cars in forthcoming years I would be looking for a change. Just my 2p's worth! :blow:

Ah yes, honest John...........

I'd take that with a pinch of salt, most of what is on that website is little more than personal opinion from what I've seen - but then again 7 years will be taking into the poor build quality of companies such as the French manufactures etc, and not allowing for the Germans and !Removed!.

If we'd have gone by that we'd have been thousands down on our mk1 Yaris, which we've only just got rid of at 14 years old with 192k on the clock (and still with plenty of life in her) and very little in running costs other than fuel and expected wear and tear consumables.

You see many many cars older then 7 years on the road and still looking good and running good.

Last year we traded in a Citroen C1 which was then 8 years old, still running very well and looking good, and I reckon the garage we sold it o would have put it straight on the forecourt and sold it pretty quick.

More fool the people who follow the advice in that Honest John article!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2002 model Yaris 3 door D4-D in S trim (bottom of the range so less to go wrong). I paid £3250 for it in 2012 with 60k miles. I'm now at 85k miles and have averaged 66.4 mpg over that distance. I have the car serviced annually to keep the service record going but do other work myself such as changing discs and pads and drop link bushes.

This car is the spiritual successor to a 1988 Peugeot 205 XLD my girlfriend had. The Yaris weighs 10% more but has 25% more power and 55% more torque. It's fun to drive and I will keep it as long as it runs.

• Like 1