Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlight Glasses

VosperD

Hi

I notice that the headlight glasss on my newly acquired 2001 Yaris are slightly opaque, one more so than the other.

Although it doesn't appear to have been an MoT issue I am considering replacing them.

I see that I can buy them with or without the motors and that there are different makes and prices.

Is it best to buy a complete set with motors or can I just buy any headlamp unit and will it work with existing motors?

I would be interested to know if there are any particular issues in changing these units. What sometimes looks like a straightforward job can often be more involved.

Although I have worked on cars all of my driving years I haven't done much on modern cars so

any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Don,

Nr Bristol.

They usually clean up with a slightly abrasive cleaner: Chrome polish being the normal one: or Brasso.

Access is the biggest problem in removing anything.. You need a socket set with extensions.

Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try.

Better than buying new ones!

Don

Had a look on YouTube and found a tip to use toothpaste so nicked a tube of "Oral B" (Extra White Mint) from the bathroom and after a 15 minute polish and buff up a great improvement!

I found the toothpaste method the cheapest, but didn't seem to last all that long on ours. However the headlight renovator kit that Halfords sell seemed to do the job just as well, but last a lot longer.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/cleaning-products/detailing-products/meguiars-one-step-headlight-restoration-kit

£22 well spent in my opinion.

I've used the Plast RX contained in the Halford's link on my badly clouded headlight cover on my old Yaris and it brought them up crystal clear. Meguiars products are not cheap but they are good quality.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I won't have to buy any new headlamps for the time being at least.

I found some good quality metal polish in the shed and that's bought them up nice and clear. I guess the proper commercial kits will have a more lasting effects and I will probably invest in one if my polish doesn't last. I didn't get a chance to have a close look but is that headlamp lens actually glass or is it some sort of plastic?

Cheers

Don

Most headlights lenses are plastic

Mark 1 yaris are plastic.. you can melt them with high ampage bulbs!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links