Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 2009 Gearbox Failure

clare666

Can anyone else confirm, or deny, that there is a problem with the gearbox in this model and year of car?

As a careful owner of this car, and looking after it, this morning I was in a position of a dangerous driving condition which was later confirmed by garage as a gearbox failure.

Having only done 67,000 miles with a diesel powered car I find this quite unacceptable. Looking at some internet posts there appears to be others who have had a similar issue. I am not going to let this one go with the manufacturer and want some answers.

So, has anyone got some ideas or similar complaints as I intend to take this further.

Hi Clare, the only gearbox issue I know of with the Toyota Auris is a very notch 1st to 2nd change when cold. This seems to affect many of the 2.0 & 2.2 engined models. Some of us had the gearbox oil changed to improve matters, but it doesn't solve it completely. The only answer is to consciously change slowly & carefully when the gearbox is completely cold. Once warmed up, it's usually faultless.

Do you know what exactly failed & why ? Did the garage give you any details ?

Can you confirm which engine you have, and whether the car has a manual gearbox or the Multi Mode Transmission. Also some confirmation as to what service history the car has - Toyota or Toyota/independent?

Hi there, and thanks for you response.

They are looking in gearbox failure and I may not get any feedback until next week at least.

I am not being unreasonable with my annoyance after such a low milage, I shall see what the garage thinks has caused this fault and post it online.

So what engine and gearbox do you have? Is it a Toyota dealer who currently has the car or an independent?

Hi

1.4 engine with manual gearbox, serviced within recommended time span using Toyota parts by an independent garage, whom I know, trust and have used for many years.

If you are looking for any goodwill contribution from Toyota, you need to be aware that Toyota (as with any manufacturer) will want to have the fault diagnosed and repaired by their own dealer network, rather than taking the word of an independent. Also having the car serviced by an independent will weaken your case for a goodwill contribution. You will need to prove the car has been serviced according to Toyota's recommended service intervals using parts of an equivalent standard to OE parts.

Goodwill works both ways - owners show goodwill by having the vehicle serviced by authorised dealers, and manufacturers show goodwill by contributing to out-of-warranty repairs.

Bear in mind that you want the manufacturer to help. You don't want to alienate the manufacturer by seeming to be heavy handed in your contacts with them.

What is the actual problem with the gearbox? Not going into gears? Popping out of gears or something else?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links