Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Flashing Stop = Dead

SimonEdwards69

Hi,

Newcomer in need of some expert assistance here!

I have owned the car since 2008 with 15k on the clock, (its a 56 plate) and I will be completely honest, I've had it services once by a back street garage in that time (+ replacement gearbox or clutch, can't remember which!) and it's now on 70k! Great little car, can't remember the last time i checked oil or anything but i did think to myself this morning the engine started to sound a bit 'ticky',

Anyway, on my way home this evening, after driving for 10 mins turned the heaters on and it was coming out cold which i knew instantly was very odd and a sure fire warning sign of something bigger!

About 5 mins later i started to smell a burning smell, 5 mins after that the temperature light appeared on the dash and within minutes of that appearing the 'STOP' light started flashing.

I pulled over on the hard shoulder and turned the engine off thinking it just needed to cool down for 10 minutes but went to turn it back on and nothing, lights on the dash just faded and it didn't even try turning over. Hazards were on for 20 mins and the Battery was really struggling, interior light was faint and so were headlights. The car only flew through its MOT yesterday!!

Any idea's?

Thanks in advance for looking!

Oh that sounds really bad mate, sorry to break it to you. If the temperature gauge went really high and you smelt a burning smell I think you left the coolant too low and cars overheated now and inside its melted. I think you have done your engine in. It can be your Battery which has gone duff. As you say that it was blowing cold air which means it can be the thermostat but if your tempreture went high then its almost likely to be the coolant and now the engines had it.

It doesn't have a temp gauge so not sure about that one but would the engine not at least try to turn over?

There was a part of me that thought it was dead, to be fair it's not had the attention it's deserved since my misses has owned it!

Same thing happen to my corolla, the inside engine has been melted from the high tempreture, parts cannot move. However, try recharging Battery and connecting again, if it works and cranks your in luck.

No sympathy, if u don't look after your car it won't look after u!!!!!!

• Like 1

It had no water in the engine.
Sure sign was heater not working.
That was possibly due to a failed water pump. The signs are well documented. (As is the cure).
About £50.00 + fitting. (cheap).

With no water, The engine has overheated to the point of seizure.
You have killed it dead.
Replacement engine from breaker......
About £250.00 + fitting. (expensive).

Regular checking of essential fluids is part of using a car.

Seizing an engine at a less convenient time could have killed you.

You stopped on the hard shoulder......http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/coach-driver-arrested-after-three-killed-m1-crash-1487995

Ah well, its only cost you money...... this time.

Thanks for your input Martin, just as well i wasn't after sympathy!

I know full well it's my fault this has happened, being complacent with a great little car that just kept running and running was my downfall.

Unklian, walking across a road at a different time could have killed me if i were run over by a bus. I appreciate the rest of your feedback though, thanks.

Considering it's a 56 plate with 70k on the clock, it's not going to be worth spending £600-£700 repairing it with a new engine...

I know full well it's my fault this has happened, being complacent with a great little car that just kept running and running was my downfall.

Unklian, walking across a road at a different time could have killed me if i were run over by a bus. I appreciate the rest of your feedback though, thanks.

Considering it's a 56 plate with 70k on the clock, it's not going to be worth spending £600-£700 repairing it with a new engine...

i would say it is worth spending it to fix it, the cars still can go for around £2000 on a 06 they hold the value quite well.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201502211129136/sort/default/make/toyota/usedcars/model/aygo/radius/1500/postcode/ne109aa/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/1/maximum-age/up_to_9_years_old?logcode=p

it will only be worth parts if you decide to get rid of it.

if you arnt going to get it repaired are you going to scrap it or sell it?

I agree, after looking on eBay, engines can be bought for £200.00 + shipping.

Its not a difficult swap, so unless your car is a real beater, it may be worth doing.
A car needing this doing is next to worthless.
a car with a newly fitted, low mileage engine will be worth (I think) enough extra to justify the time / effort.

possibly

Ian.

I agree, after looking on ebay, engines can be bought for £200.00 + shipping.

Its not a difficult swap, so unless your car is a real beater, it may be worth doing.

A car needing this doing is next to worthless.

a car with a newly fitted, low mileage engine will be worth (I think) enough extra to justify the time / effort.

possibly

Ian.

i would say it is worth spending it to fix it, the cars still can go for around £2000 on a 06 they hold the value quite well.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201502211129136/sort/default/make/toyota/usedcars/model/aygo/radius/1500/postcode/ne109aa/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/1/maximum-age/up_to_9_years_old?logcode=p

it will only be worth parts if you decide to get rid of it.

if you arnt going to get it repaired are you going to scrap it or sell it?

am i the only one thinking this would be the perfect opportunity to put a bigger engine in this Aygo? it needs a new engine anyway may as well upgrade.

I would say it's worth fitting another engine if they go for this sort of money and mileage....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-C1-PEUGEOT-107-TOYOTA-AYGO-2005-2013-1-0-ENGINE-1KR-1-396-Miles-only-/201292029344?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2eddf09da0

Maybe you'll get another 70k out of it :)

Maybe get 70k only if the oil, water and all the other service requirements are met.

If not ?

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

i think the joke was that i didn't do any of that previously and it got to 70k! Cant imagine how long it would have lasted if i had actually looked after it!

I'll have to try and find out whats its worth without doing the engine replacement and way it up! (Will also have to find out how much its going to cost me to actually have a replacement engine fitted too!

Thanks for all the input guys

Haha, we had a car which was the same. We did 80k mileage full without any service, just pure driving. I did never ever change anything, no parts what so ever. It still had life inside it, it was just leaking oil and we had did enough in a car like that. That was a Hyundai Amica, excellent car. Another car which we had was a 1.6 Renault Megane, brought the car at 50k miles, drove to 120k miles on the dot and still had life inside it, not a single mechanical problems. For me, for some reason, the cars which I acutally look after are the ones which give me problems, the ones which I dont care about just keep on going!!

i think the joke was that i didn't do any of that previously and it got to 70k! Cant imagine how long it would have lasted if i had actually looked after it!

I'll have to try and find out whats its worth without doing the engine replacement and way it up! (Will also have to find out how much its going to cost me to actually have a replacement engine fitted too!

Thanks for all the input guys

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-C1-Peugeot-107-Toyota-Aygo-998-Cc-3-Cylinder-Complete-Engine/161624983820?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140328180637%26meid%3D28c3024cb3494ba3bbb55edaa379d978%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D201292029344

Look at this one. might be wortch giving a call and asking for a quote. though would rather have the lower millage engine that conrod mentioned before.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links