Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anoying Rattle! Something Serious?

Yaris1234

Hi!

I recently bought an Toyota Yaris -05, about 60k mileage.

I have a rattle sound coming somewhere around the engine on the left side (from drivers view). It's
very strong around 2000 rpms and when I'm accelerating. It's not there when the engine is idling or just gasing without any loud.

I've been to the mechanic twice but each time the sound hasn't been there. The guy sat in the passenger seat as I drove, but we couldn't hear anything... :-( He also took a good look within the engine room and under but he couldnt find anything loose.

Anyhow, I decided to record the sound just to have something to show for the mechanic.

What do you think about the sound? To me its not a normal sound, sounds like metal against metal. My biggest concern is that it is something with the transmission...hope not!

Here is a link to the video I recorded: http://youtu.be/SBtu-oTWxv8

Many thanks for your help!

Sounds to me like the timing chain, mine is the same but only when idling and below 2k rpm

Ok. Is it a sign that the timing chain is about to brake or what can I expect?

A timing chain change would kill my bank roll lol...

Before you die with worry :-).. when was the oil changed?

The timing chain tensioner is driven by oil pressure so oil of the correct quality and specification and a clean oil filter are MUSTS.

And service history?

The vendor if a business has Sale of Goods Act liabilities..

As you have just bought it, go back to the vendor. if Private, tough. Do an oil and filter change...

Bought private. Service book looks great, service done by the right intervals at Toyota. The car went through a full service two days ago, including oil and oil filter change.

Funny thing; the sound is less pronounced when someone is sitting in the front passenger seat. But when I'm driving by myself the sound is very present.

So it could be something in/near the passenger seat.

Take the passenger seat out (4 bolts and maybe an electrical connector) and see if that cures it.

If it does then you know where to look for the source.

Passenger seat belt rattling against the car interior?

I'm 100% sure it's coming from the engine room. I can hear that the sound is coming from that angle.

I will leave it at Toyota so they can have a look at it.

I'm 100% sure it's coming from the engine room. I can hear that the sound is coming from that angle.

I will leave it at Toyota so they can have a look at it.

Please let us know what it turns out to have been.

The clue to this is that the rattle stops when you have someone (mechanic) in the passenger seat

It can be difficult to locate the source of rattles when driving as the sound transmits around the car

Before you go to the expense of taking it to toyota .....try driving it with nobody in the passenger seat with the passenger seatbelt buckled up

It is also worth checking the rear seat buckles

Ok so I was at Toyota this morning. Of course they couldn't hear the sound when they gave my car a test drive, but after I showed them my recording they understood that something is rattling.

I quote the mechanic's own words:

"Moved wire-bracket that keeps the gear-wire, a bit to the side"

Personally I can still hear the sound but it is greatly reduced in sound level. Hope this was the first and last time I was at Toyota regarding this matter.

Kudos to Toyota who gave me a really good price for the troubleshooting.

Darn! It is sounding again, and this time I thinks it's louder than before.

Recorded a new clip, just listen, it sounds really bad, doesn't it? 😕 😢

Strange thing Toyota couldn't find anything...

http://youtu.be/fkuHbr-y7lM

Darn! It is sounding again, and this time I thinks it's louder than before.

Recorded a new clip, just listen, it sounds really bad, doesn't it?

Strange thing Toyota couldn't find anything...

No.....it does not sound bad.......Did you try fastening the passenger seat belt as suggested?

If your rattle has come back after your visit to Toyota then I think they owe you a refund!

Another possible source of rattles on the Yaris is the lack of lubricant on the hatchback catch.......When lightly greased the rattle will disappear :)

Yes I tried the seat belt thing, no change. It's coming from the engine room.

Ok so you think it doesn't sound bad? How come? To me it's sounding like something is about to snap, break och wear out...

What is the hatchback catch? I'm non English s

What is the hatchback latch?

The back lift up "door" is the hatchback.

and the latch is the device that keeps the hinged hatch fastened to the car body when closed together.

Worth a try.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links