Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Flashing Engine Management Light

littlepete

Hi All

A few weeks ago I hit a rather nasty pothole and saw in my rear view a load of light grey smoke. Since then my engine is running on what feels like low power and whilst driving the engine management light flashes, not all the time, sometimes the light remains steady on. At standstill the engine sounds like its struggling and I can see the headlights very faintly flashing. On a longer drive there is often a funny, rubber/burning smell at the rear of the car when I get out.

Any thoughts on what could be the cause? Have I hit a sensor when i crashed into the pothole? It was an almighty bang!

Cat has done 164,000, Corolla T3, 03 plate.

Thanks in anticipation.

Think it could be all or any of the problems you mention.

Have you done a visual inspection of the engine bay and exhaust , partic the cat area and your tyres ?

Have you been to a garage and had error codes read out ? or asked them to inspect the underside.

Don't think I would risk driving it much with burning smells, flashing lights and low power, think you need to get it sorted asap !

Its only going to get worse and more expensive the longer you leave it.... even the risk of a burn out ...

Everything looks fine in the engine bay, and I've had a look underneath myself and can't spot anything untoward. I've had the error code read and its P303, showing a engine misfire. The car does run OK, just rather unevenly.

I will be getting it checked out, but wondered if there were any further thoughts?

Everything looks fine in the engine bay, and I've had a look underneath myself and can't spot anything untoward. I've had the error code read and its P303, showing a engine misfire. The car does run OK, just rather unevenly.

I will be getting it checked out, but wondered if there were any further thoughts?

P303 means cylinder3 missfire, with serval possible causes.

Some you could do your self others for a garage.

Runing with a misfire could damage the cat more as unburnt fuel could be going in to it.

post-95973-0-11328600-1426334618_thumb.j

• 4 years later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links