Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2001 Celica T Sport Question

philip81

Hi

After 33 years I've decided to buy my very first car (I used to ride motorbikes in my former years...)

Now, after a bit of window shopping I put a deposit down on a celica t sport today

Took it out for a quick spin

All seemed good. Hpi clear etc

Now....looking for an insurance quote

Type in the reg, the car comes up as a 140 model?

Now, I rev'd the engine and it slightly flew past 6krpm and did seem to lift, so I assume it's the correct 190bhp model..... Though maybe before engines do that......

And have the engine number from the hpi, not sure if that tells you which engine it is...

Anyhow. I'm sure go compare is just wrong. Though before I pick the car up next week, anything else I need to check?!

Hi

After 33 years I've decided to buy my very first car (I used to ride motorbikes in my former years...)

Now, after a bit of window shopping I put a deposit down on a celica t sport today

Took it out for a quick spin

All seemed good. Hpi clear etc

Now....looking for an insurance quote

Type in the reg, the car comes up as a 140 model?

Now, I rev'd the engine and it slightly flew past 6krpm and did seem to lift, so I assume it's the correct 190bhp model..... Though maybe the 140 does that also.....

The hpi confirm it was co2 J, which I believe is the correct code for the 190

Engine number on hpi 2zz9e

And have the engine number from the hpi, not sure if that tells you which engine it is...

Anyhow. I'm sure go compare is just wrong. Though before I pick the car up next week, anything else I need to check?!

£4k is stupid money for a pre face lift car..even £2k would be optimistic for a 51 plate.

From the pics., the car is not a T Sport or a 140. It's a 190 missing the leather seats in the front, and the vinyl seats in the rear. The colour should be "Storm Blue", which looks Black, until the sun brings out the blue fleck in the paint.

• Like 1

Rev counter looks correct, it revs to just over 8k

Engine for a 190 is 2zz, so that seems right as you mentioned

seats look like they are fabric, don't recall them being available on a 190 model but kev (scarlett arrow) knows more about the models than anyone.

some insurance compaines do get them wrong,

get a pic of the engine bay, we'll know then

• Like 1

£4k is stupid money for a pre face lift car..even £2k would be optimistic for a 51 plate.From the pics., the car is not a T Sport or a 140. It's a 190 missing the leather seats in the front, and the vinyl seats in the rear. The colour should be "Storm Blue", which looks Black, until the sun brings out the blue fleck in the paint.

I agreed at 3750, as the overall condition was very good, full Toyota history

It rev'd like a 190

I am due to pick it up next Saturday

I did see a later model on Friday. Higher mileage and worse condition for 3500

As long as it is a 190, to be honest I'm not overly bothered by the price, as its in good condition :-)

As long as you're happy, that's the main thing.

One thing to check on the pre face lift 190 and T Sport, is the "lift" bolts. It's highly recommended you change these to the revised/improved type, before they snap. FYI, Toyota call them "Flange Bolts".

• Like 1

Cheers, yeah - going to take it to Toyota in Reading to have a look soon enough

Just threw me a bit seeing the 140 on go compare! Haha

I'll get the dealership to ping me a photo of the engine bay

I'm not too bothered on the leather seats. Though does seem odd

I'll take it as being a 190 rather than t sport model

I think already it's a keeper, plenty of bits to buy. But for this year. Drive it, take it to the Nurburgring, and generally just enjoy it :-)

And oh, what do the different engine bays look like?

Black plastic inlet manifold on the 140, Steel inlet manifold on the 190.

Enjoy the Nurburgring, was last there in 2006 (during the World Cup).

Paid for a Parkers review

Leather seats. Zero cost option? Now. Why you wouldn't have leather seats is another matter

So, if I get a photo of the engine bay pinged over from the dealership, you guys will confirm from the photos it's the 190 :-)

This is what the engine bay should look like if it's a 190 (minus the induction kit)

IMG_0486.jpg

We will.

Every single UK spec. 190 I've seen, has leather fitted as OE. The only ones that have cloth, have been imported JDM cars.

On a 14 year old car, there could be any number of reasons why the seats have been replaced.

The oval tail pipe is another pointer to the car having the VVTi-L engine.

The vvti-l being the 140?

Does have twin disc brakes? Hmmmmm...... Bit worried now. Only put a small deposit down

No..the "L" standing for Lift.

• Like 1

Cool :-)

Everything points to it being a 190

There was a lift in revs when I drove it

Redline seems to fit

And it's got rear disc brakes

Leather seats were no cost option according to Parkers at least.....

No rear spoiler is odd?

I ll get all the details from the dealership, phone a Toyota one, and hopefully mind rested and enjoy :-)

Oh, maybe the owner at new was a vegan? ;-)

All uk celicas have discs brakes at the rear, it's only the 140's in the USA that had shoes at the back.

Having no rear spoiler isn't odd, the prefacelift 190's didn't have them, mine didn't, but it did have leather seats, unless they were damaged and someone has had them replaced.

• Like 1

image.jpg1_1.jpg

From Parkers.....anyhow.

Just on a positive.

The lift is amazing. And having ridden some exciting bikes over the years from my r1, to zx10. Even I was impressed by the step in power :-)

I wouldn't take too much notice of Parkers when it comes to specifications. For example, the Wheels are 16", not 17" as stated above, and as Colin has already mentioned, a Spoiler was not standard.

• Like 1

Definatly a 190 then

If you do look closer on the parkers screen grab it does say trim - cloth, but under is it also says leather look vinyl, depending on what the rear seats are, if they are vinyl then someone has changed the fronts, as you don't get vinyl rears and cloth fronts, if you have cloth fronts you have cloth rears on all the models i have seen.

• Like 1

Hi,

If you haven;t sorted your insurance yet then please feel free to give us a try if you like. If you wanted to PM some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.

Regards,

Dan.

As it happens. I had my old motorbike insurance with you guys and yes. I need to phone for my car one!

On my to do list this week

1. Insure.

2. Tax

3. Sort out parking permit

4. Pick up car

Just picked it up! :-)

Things to note....

1. The interior is super clean...

2. The body work and wheels in great condition

3. It's got 39k miles on it! And last had a full Toyota service history :-)

4. Got some decent looking pirella tyres on it

Bad....the gearbox! What. How clunky!

And there is a slight whine from the engine at low revs....? Not sure what it is? Probably too high a great and low revs?

Anyhow. I haven't driven in years. Even since passing my test really. Though it was so easy to drive :-)

And oh. Interior light. Turns out that doesnt work? Oh well. Replacement bulb I hope :-)