Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shark Fin Aerial

iQ-Chris

Hi everyone

I'm interested in buying a cheap shark fin aerial for my iQ and just wondered if anybody could point me in the right direction..?

Does it have to be wired in, or can I just stick the plastic cover over the existing aerial base?

All help gratefully received.

Chris

2012 iQ² with red leather upholstery ☆ upgraded interior lighting ☆ white backlit dashboard/switches ☆ auto-folding mirrors ☆ smart entry ☆ auto-locking doors ☆ chrome exhaust ☆

post-141159-142584250553_thumb.jpg

Hi chris

The radio has a in-line amplifier so some of the fins you see have a pre-amp which will overload the existing one also they would need 12v power to power it. There msy be some fin " aerials" out there that have a threaded connection and a short bit of wire in there but although they look good, and good for reception in say London. You may struggle in the outskirts

David

Chris

Your photo would not be suitable you would have to take the roof lining down and remove the existing aerial mount and take the new cable through the roof and find a way to get it to your radio pre amp. On the other hand i may be able to modify ( adapt) it for you

David

• 5 months later...

Looks great! How would a novice like me go about fitting one? Thanks!

Chris

iQ² in black ☆ red and white leather ☆ sunroof ☆ upgraded interior lighting ☆ white backlit dashboard/switches ☆ auto-folding mirrors ☆ smart entry ☆ auto-locking doors ☆ chrome handles and exhaust

it simply attaches via double side 3m tape which is already cut out with the right size and shape.

haha if I can manage it anyone can

Sounds good, but what about removing the old aerial?

Chris

iQ² in black ☆ red and white leather ☆ sunroof ☆ upgraded interior lighting ☆ white backlit dashboard/switches ☆ auto-folding mirrors ☆ smart entry ☆ auto-locking doors ☆ chrome handles and exhaust

you just unscrew it, the new one has an attachment you screw back into the original socket and the cover sits on top of the whole thing.

take a look at the eBay link, there are some pictures showing how it all fits

Thanks Ady! I've ordered one and will be fitting it this weekend.

Chris

Will do! My iQ is black so a black aerial it is :)

Chris

• 3 months later...

I was very happy with the colour match; unfortunately it's quite difficult to show that in a close-up.

Chris

post-141159-145129528702_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

David,

How do you find the signal strength of this particular fin? I'm having particular problems maintaining a strong signal with Radio 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Mark

Hi Mark

I did do a a long right up on Antenna's for the iQ. The original Antenna for the iQ is incorrect in length. Although tightly helically wound, it is too short and in fact the Antenna on our Toyota Verso is the correct length for the iQ. It is quite long and suspect the exterior designers didn't like it. The original Antenna is 3db's down on the Verso one. 3db= approx half signal strenth. The helically wound spring in tbe shark fin is a total compromise as it is very close to the body of the car thus making it quite in efficient. I measutes it at around -5db dependant in frequency chosen. I live on the out skirts of London so reasonably ok but rurally deaf as a post. If your listening to FM the Antenna at 100mhz should be 75cm long.like on old cars. Pre amplifiers are employed in the iQ as in most modern cars. The Antenna's are 76cm helucally wound to make them visually smaller but electrically the right length. Unfortunately, there are losses as much as 6db!!

Sorry for all the tec stuff

David Broacast Engineer Transmitter Engineer

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 16/1/2016 at 10:23 AM, Mark_P said:

Here is Einstein with a Shark Fin (not pearl white though), which I purchased from AliExpress

WP_20160116_09_12_56_Rich_LI.jpg

Your antenna is the flat model or the curved model?

What is fitted for IQ?

Thanks and bye, Luca.

Hey Luca,

The roof is slightly curved, but the Shark Fin purchased was a flat roof model and it fits fine.