Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hard Wire A Dash Cam

Rigsby

I have a 2012 Avensis Tourer. I want to hard wire a Dash Cam close to the interior mirror, I have a lead with a 12v to 5v convertor in line. Is there anywhere in the interior light fitting where I could connect into, it requires a switched live.

Ha! same here,was going to ask the same thing. Mine is plugged into the cig lighter but does not look very good. Hope someone can point us in the right direction, and an easy job I hope.

mine came with a long enough cable to mount infront of rear view mirror

ran cable up to headlining along windscreen down behind pillar airbag behind dash to an extra accessory socket tapped off cigarette socket. I soldered in behind the centre console.

I ran a cheeky wee bit of wiring via a dpdt factory toyota illuminated accessory switch and a couple of diodes for pretection inserted into a dash blank and it looks all original and no wires.

what is the switch for you ask?

switch up / illuminated ---have it permanently powered when going into supermarket etc incase some one damages your car etc etc and you may have a chance of catching some evidence

switch down / not illuminated -- dash cam works as normal only powering up via accessory circuit via ignition on

Thanks for the reply, I like the idea of the switch to keep it running short term.

My last Avensis was a 2008 model and I could remove the centre console, glove box and parts with out problem.

On the new shape car, I am struggling to remove some of the trim. Hence I was hoping to do it from the interior light .

Wired mine from the power socket in the center consol, used a multi plug cigar socket.

Trim comes away fairly easily.

Just removed it all as car is going, see my clutch post!!!

wouldn't personally take a 12v feed from interior light to power a charger dropping to 5v for a dash cam.

its gonna be bulky and depending on cam/charger could draw another couple of amps on the circuit so may be close to fuse rating for that circuit?

also may interfere with associated module/ door chime / alarm ?

I always use the 15amp accessory socket as its wiring is heavy and designed to run multiple accessories without interference to other systems

but that's just me set in my ways lol

thanks regarding the switch idea.

on my van I have a lot of accessories for charging handlamps etc

a 4 gang accessory socket permanent feed

and a 4 gang ignition feed

dash cam is tidy enough upto centre console and if going into gym etc I unplug charger from ignition fed socket and put it into permanent fed socket.

oh tell you a story.

I was close to calling police but went round and tore them a new ar53 h0l4 and my company are not trusting them with the vehicles anymore so they have lost our work.

van mot a couple of weeks ago

left it there all day

looked back the footage as my van was a mess when I got it back that night

don't know why they had to take my van on a jolly ?

especially skelping it around roundabouts and returning back to leave it ENGINE RUNNING with wipers dry squeaking unattended in their car park.

25 mins later take it in for mot

great sound on my cam listening to them asking each other if they have had a look around and found anything in the van! while they are rummaging through cubby holes and through glove box and opening side door of my van.

no %$(in need to go in back of van anyway

oh my blood is starting to boil again thinking about it.

just shows what you miss when your not there

I wasn't gonna run it from the interior lighting circuit as that would be a permanent live, I was thinking that there may be something else in that area that was suitable.

Never mind looks like I will have to ruh it down the door pillar, is this ok with the aig bag, don't want it to interfere with its operation (hopefully I won't have cause to find out)

• 3 weeks later...

I need to remove the hard plastic trim from the rear tailgate. The bright light panel above the window. It is either a straight pull or a slide left or right or even down. The book telling me how to remove bulbs does not cover this. Anybody know how to remove this panel? I also would like to get the A pillar cover off without breaking them .Auris hybrid TS 2014

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links