Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Location Of Handbrake Shoe Adjuster,top Or Bottom

oldinfrance

Just joined,Previa D4D 2006,will introduce myself later when I have managed to complete the change of the rear discs,where is the adjuster for the handbrake shoes,impossible for old eyes to see through the ridiculously small inspection hole,can someone point me to the right location please,many thanks,will wait by laptop in the hope that some kind soul will come straight back,many thanks

on my Avensis the adjuster is on the bottom, so you would need to spin the disc round so the rubber grommet is on the bottom then there is a cog that you push down with a screwdriver.

if your struggling to get the disc off, my discs come with two threaded bolts I put two bolts in and when I tighten it pushes the disc away from the hub.

I have attached a file which may help you further it is on the avensis though

BRAKE.pdf

Avensisd4d786.

Many thanks for your advice,does the Avensis necessarily have the same braking system as the Previa though?,I realise that I need to 'back off' the parking brake to allow the disc/hub withdrawal,it is just that I have spent a lot of time trying to locate the adjuster wheel and with the very small aperture its proving elusive to me.

If I can be assured that it is positioned at six o'clock then I can concentrate just in that area which would be a big help.

Thanks anyway.

Oh yes and I have used bolts in the two threaded holes which has forced the disc/.drum off, but not fully,its still being prevented from full withdrawal by the brake shoes.

once you get it at 6 o'clock you will feel/see a cog push it down.

Righty ho then,I will concentrate at the 6o'clock position and hopefully have some success,I don't think I'll get out on it today but will report when the small job is completed,

thanks again then.

460526D.png

This is what mine is like if you message me your VIN number I will get a diagram of yours.

Thats nice of you,number herewith------JTEGG32M700018616

many thanks

above shows all the diagrams I could find of rear brakes and handbrake cable.

this may help its of another forum

'If this is the case, you will find some nuts securing the cable & adjusting it at the lever itself, you need to slacken these off a little way, then you need to remove the rear wheels & the rear discs. You then need to use the adjuster wheel on the rear brake shoes & adjust the shoes until the discs will just about fit back over them.

Once the discs & wheels arte back in place, you can tighten the internal adjuster by the lever, until the lever just comes up two or three clicks to make it hold the car.

It can be a bit of a fiddle & would be best left to a garage if you are not confident in what you're doing.

If they're anything like ours, the handbrake shoes & the discs were worn when I adjuted recently, so I ended up putting new discs, pads & shoes on the car, all readily available from the local factors, so you don't have to pay dealer prices.

HTH, regards, Rob.'

or there is this video i found

Well those diagrams are pretty conclusive,the back off adjuster is at the 6 'oclock position so thanks a lot for your help,I will post when the job is completed.

I wonder why no repair manual has ever been issued,perhaps the later Previa's were not sold in sufficient numbers to warrant the research and costs.

Thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links