Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing Alloys To Steels For Insurance Purposes

toyota yaris wannabe owner

It's a pretty lame argument tho' - It doesn't take into account the fact that the petrol head types are more likely to look after the car and keep it in a road-worthy condition :(

I am consistently amazed at how many 'normal' drivers never check their oil or tyre pressures for instance.

On the extreme end of the scale, funny/scary story: I was talking about car stuff with a mate many months ago, and his sister overheard and off-hand mentioned that her brakes had felt a bit weird lately. On a whim we had a look and I **** you not, the car was basically stopping on one front pad! The other was totally shot and was actually making shrieking noises on engagement (She was totally oblivious to this due to the ear-exploding volumes she listens to music at apparently), and the rear drums were so bad the handbrake wouldn't hold the car on an incline at full extension! :eek:

The kicker? Her insurance is *half* what I pay!

It's a pretty lame argument tho' - It doesn't take into account the fact that the petrol head types are more likely to look after the car and keep it in a road-worthy condition :(

The kicker? Her insurance is *half* what I pay!

Unfortunately for us humans insurance is based on cold, hard statistics. Despite No.6's protestations we are all just numbers.

If the car isn't roadworthy the insurance can refuse to pay.

But relatively few 'accidents' are actually caused by mechanical failure - cars and tyres are very reliable these days and the annual MoT weeds out most horrors. The vast majority of 'accidents' are caused by people doing things that in hindsight turn out to be not such a good idea.

People who modify their cars (I believe - I don't have the stats) are more likely to drive them in interesting ways. So statistically they are more likely to do those things that turn out to be not such a good idea.

It's not a lame argument; if you step back far enough it's perfectly logical and reasonable.

It's a pretty lame argument tho'

Not really, just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't justified.

• 1 month later...

Keep the alloys, insurance aren't going to pick up on it, not worth the time and effort.

Keep the alloys, insurance aren't going to pick up on it, not worth the time and effort.

.... unless a claim is made, then it is quite feasible that the insurance will pick up on it

Oh how very wrong you are! Nothing like advising someone to openly break the law and invalidate their insurance policy - ultimately leading to a potential life of hell unless you're happy not ever needing insurance again!

Hi Gentleman.

Can i suggest you try this man for a quote as he specailises in cars that are not quite, or even if they are, standard.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/user/115392-danadrian-flux/

As you can see he is a TOC member and i am sure he will give you a discount once you mention the club.

Regards Mike.

• Like 1

There is some rubbish talked on internet forums about how insurance companies will run away from a claim and hang you out to dry just because your vehicle is not fitted with the original wheels.

Case histories if you please, and not just 'I know a girl who works with a guy that lives in a commune where someone's mothers boyfriend heard about a story on the internet etc.'

Can anyone show any report where a claim has been rejected because steels have been fitted in place of alloys?

Then again, let's not give the insurance company chance to wriggle out, stick to the original 16" alloys, put some nasty cheap Chinese tyres on just 3 of 'em and put the 13" space saver wheel on the front offside, the insurance company won't have a problem with that, will they?

.......oh, hang on, just a thought, hands up them that have told their insurance company that they've dumped the gunk in favour of a real spare?

Think the story is different here - at post 10 the OP stated that the insurance quote they've had for the car with steel wheels is drastically cheaper than the quote for the car with alloys, he is trying to keep the insurance cost down to a reasonable level, and this is the reason they are reverting to steel wheels on the car.

Nothing to do with forum members advising that original steel wheels should be fitted in place of alloys.

There is an instance on the forums where a member who wanted to change from 17 inch alloys to 15 inch alloys on their Auris, and had the change refused by their insurer - see post 27 of the following:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/145281-toyota-motor-insurance/page-3

That post 27 is a combination of 1; Asking turkeys about Christmas, 2; Computer says No, 3; Toyota Insurance intransigence.

Whilst I accept that my comments above might not be directly answering / related to the original post I do stand by my attitude towards the myth that you'll be left high and dry if you've changed wheels or any other aspect. Stickers on the bodywork come to mind here.

Basically, it's the 'asking turkeys about Christmas' that is the root problem.

Apart from my steel winter wheels & tyres and the space saver spare I can think of three other so called 'mods' that I have no intention of rattling their cage with, my swivel seat base, the baby seat and the permanent removal of the rear parcel shelf.

even if I change from the originally supplied oem alloys on my car to another set of different design alloys from another Avensis T27 various insurance companies that I checked with considered it a modification & wanted a premium increase.

There is some rubbish talked on internet forums about how insurance companies will run away from a claim and hang you out to dry just because your vehicle is not fitted with the original wheels.

Case histories if you please, and not just 'I know a girl who works with a guy that lives in a commune where someone's mothers boyfriend heard about a story on the internet etc.'

Can anyone show any report where a claim has been rejected because steels have been fitted in place of alloys?

Then again, let's not give the insurance company chance to wriggle out, stick to the original 16" alloys, put some nasty cheap Chinese tyres on just 3 of 'em and put the 13" space saver wheel on the front offside, the insurance company won't have a problem with that, will they?

.......oh, hang on, just a thought, hands up them that have told their insurance company that they've dumped the gunk in favour of a real spare?

Cough....

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Neath-minister-told-void-car-insurance-covered/story-25956393-detail/story.html

Well we generally advocate that any deviation from the factory spec of the car should be declared; If you don't, you're just giving the insurance company room to wiggle out of their responsibility.

Some insurance companies will let minor deviations slide, but some (Usually the cheapest ones) can be absolute anal probes about it.

There's already a bit of a grey area about e.g. going from 17" to 15" alloys; Even if they are dealer fitted, if none of the standard specs have 15" rims then it counts as a modification with some insurers whereas others don't care as they are still OE alloys.

Heck, when I was looking to replace the badly corroded and kerbed rims on my Yaris, eSure said it would count as a modification even tho' the replacement rims were the same size. I ended up getting mine refurbished and powdercoated, which cost more than buying a new set of 14" Wolfrace rims from eBay! (They did come out looking nice tho' :D)

Best not to take the risk IMHO.

Cough....

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Neath-minister-told-void-car-insurance-covered/story-25956393-detail/story.html

Shame Ecclesiastical Insurance don't insure vehicles ....