Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Struggling To Start

CadetLass

Hi All!

I'm new to the forums - nice to e-meet you all!

I have a brand new 15 plate Toyota Aygo (not even three weeks old) and its struggling to start. Ignition turns over, but engine is slow to start.

Planning on going into the dealership but wondered if anyone else had a similar issue; or any ideas on what the problem might be?

I definitely haven't left lights on, or anything :P

My Aygo is a lot older than yours bit, if ever it fails to start, I just turn the key until the dashboard lights come on and wait a few seconds before starting. This tip may only apply to older Aygos but might be worth a try. Good luck!

Wow you're really cool about this I would be fuming. Brand new motor that don't start right.

You might have a Friday afternoon car there. See if you can get it changed. Or at least make dam sure that you are 100 % satisfied that it has been repaired to your satisfaction. I would want to know what was wrong how it was repaired etc. And I want it all written in the auto's service book for the time it happens again. Hopefully never.

Good luck

If you can take someone 6 foot 6 with ja

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

Very unlikely to be a major problem and even less likely for Toyota to have built a "Friday Afternoon car"

My guess - One of the Battery terminals is loose.

Hi this is becoming a very common problem on the new Aygos. The Battery terminals are not connected properly. Solution is to tighten screws at the Battery terminal.

Sorry to hear that, Jemma. My 15 plate Xpression is starting fine, so yours may just need the Battery terminals tightened, as others have said.

Thanks all! I don't think it's anything major - the car does start - it's just taking it's sweet time - usually if I've only done a short journey (like the five mins from the work to the gym - it's fine after the half hour drive to work!).

I'll pop into the dealer this weekend and get it checked over!

Thanks for thinking I'm laid back! I've had a string of old, rubbish cars that keep breaking down, so I'm actually pretty paranoid!!! My petrol light came on earlier, and I was like "Oh NOOOOOOO, only 22 miles left to get to a garage!". :P

My worst breakdown involved my head gasket blowing up in the fast lane of the M25, so a car that's a little slow to start is nothing!!

I have this issue with my month old 64 plate Aygo and my Battery terminals are tight.

***EDIT*** yes a 64 plate sorry for the typo!

Presume '64' plate

I have a 14 plate Aygo and it always started first time except if I had a minor blip and didn't hold my foot down on the brake long enough (MMT transmission) I'd be straight back to the dealer, let them deal with anything since its their problem

i would document everythink thats happened i.e.

time,date,wether its after a short or decent length journey,dry,damp or wet weather

and what ever is said between you and the dealer and if they cant resolve your issues

tell them in writing that you are rejecting the car due to the following issues and that

you have lost all faith in the car.

you have paid GOOD MONEY for your car so dont let the dealer walk over you

at the end of the day a dealer is only interested in taking your money,before you

buy a car they will bendover backwards to help you but this doesnt normally carry

on after delivery has taken place as you become more of an annoyance.

At the end of the day it is probably something minor like the Battery terminals being loose. By the sound of it, the dealer hasn't had a chance to look at it since you've taken delivery. Give the dealer a ring, say that is temperamental to start, and let the dealer sort it, whilst you have a cup of coffee in their waiting area.

I guess someone who is experiencing the problem need to take a visit to a dealer and give them a chance to read any error codes accumulating in your car's ecu.

Short journeys do play havoc with modern cars. I was actually once advised by an RAC patrolman never to start a car from cold and switch it off in less than 5 minutes.

I can't recall the exact reason but it was something to do wIth messing with the sensors.

Dark Matter, that rings a bell. I once moved my previous car (not an Aygo) from the driveway into the garage and switched it off. The next morning it was flooded, and I had to get the RAC to come out. He said not to switch off a car without giving it a good chance to warm up and for the ECU to lean out the fuel mixture, etc.

Dark Matter, that rings a bell. I once moved my previous car (not an Aygo) from the driveway into the garage and switched it off. The next morning it was flooded, and I had to get the RAC to come out. He said not to switch off a car without giving it a good chance to warm up and for the ECU to lean out the fuel mixture, etc.

Thinking about it that was the exact same scenario. Started my car , moved it a few feet and next morning it wouldn't start so RAC called out.

Another possible (albeit less likely) cause for the OPs problem is cheap supermarket petrol.

I have experienced starting issues (with a Mazda) that went away after switching to BP

I guess someone who is experiencing the problem need to take a visit to a dealer and give them a chance to read any error codes accumulating in your car's ecu.

Short journeys do play havoc with modern cars. I was actually once advised by an RAC patrolman never to start a car from cold and switch it off in less than 5 minutes.

I can't recall the exact reason but it was something to do wIth messing with the sensors.

my Yaris once started with a worrying noise coming from the exhaust. It improved after I had warmed it up. Turned out it was due to me starting it up, moving it just a short distance then turning it off again.

Well, car's been fine all day (typically), drove to work and back - then later in the eve. drove to a dance class and back... all no issues, but all journeys 20 mins+

Wonder if there's anything I can do to "warm it up" per se? I need an excuse to go down to the coast ;)

It's not *my* car, as it's on a PCP, so the dealer has every reason to continue bending over backwards to help - it's in their interests if they want to buy it back in 3 years!

I'd still be inclined to get the dealer to check it.

By the way cars on Hire Purchase aren't owned until the last payment is made - until then, they're effectively hired.

I don't see this being a loose Battery terminal only on short journeys.

Drink a cup of coffee and wait eh I want to know what they are doing vielen dank.

They can tell you anything they like don't forget that one day you might need that little toy of yours urgently and if it don't start then .............

My Aygo x-clusiv has been like this since I got it and I just put it down to the cheaper parts used compared to the push-button start iQ I had before.

Well then mine does not do this its 8 years old made of cheap parts.

Not only that,love to hear the reason you are going to give for soo many of them being sold....

Even a rolls royce will break down. When I look under the hood I see the name Bosch I am sure you have from them oder??? They are German quality ( not cheap ) . Please don't forget to reply

My Aygo x-clusiv has been like this since I got it and I just put it down to the cheaper parts used compared to the push-button start iQ I had before.

With respect I think that's a very odd conclusion.

Every car I have owned regardless of age or price has started from cold in less than one or two turns of the engine.

I will expect no less from my new Aygo when it arrives otherwise dealer's ears will be severely bent.

Thanks all for checking in! I didn't go to the dealership because - typically - I haven't had any issues with it this week!!

Keeping an eye on things for the time being but if it happens again I'll be going back in.

Sounds like it might just be the "short journeys" thing because I haven't driven anywhere less than 20 minutes away this week.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links