Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Member Wanting To Clean Throttle Body

shab2015

Hello

Recently purchased a Corolla 1.4 vvti on a 53 reg hatchback. Yesterday noticed that the backbox was blowing so changed this myself but no want to give the throttle body a good clean as i'm not sure if the car idles high enough. It sits around 500rpm when warm but not as steady as I think it should.

So therefore going to whip the throttle body off and give it all a clean including the IAC valve.

My throttle is the one with the actual throttle wire coming from the inside of car and operated manually.

Now my question is do i need to take anything into account? Is it just a case of taking off, cleaning and just putting back? Any learn process I need to send the car in?

Hi there,sorry I can't really help to much. I do know that the carburettor is set for the engine to idle at 600rpm. This, apparently is not adjustable. My Corolla was not decelerating smoothly. A garage rectified this by cleaning a part of the carburettor which is monitored somehow. I hope this helps a little.

Thanks for the reply, its a fuel injection system on these.

I suspect they did clean the throttle body

Hi, You need to be aware of coolant line, if your careful you can take it off with minimal coolant loss, stick some towel under and wash off any that escape.

It is adviseable to replace the gaskets when you put things back together, i.e. TB and IAC valve. There are some youtube and other article describing the process.

hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply. One last question, will it need to be calibrated by a diagnostic tool after or a simple Battery disconnect and relearn be ok?

also, have a look at the MAF sensor, if dirty spray some electronic contact cleaner, attach a straw and spray into it, dont touch it of try to rub it with cotton buds, it will damage it. Again there are videos on youtube.

disconnect Battery for 10min or so, it will relearn.

Thanks for all your help on that, will hopefully be doing this next weekend so will feedback

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links