Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another Mpg Thread

thomasaiwilcox

I have had my IQ for nearly 3 weeks now and have been getting a good idea of what it can do on fuel.

Most of my journeys are very short i.e. 2-3 miles and I have been getting around 40 MPGs. I was initially disappointed with this but I now realise that it doesn't matter what car I have, short journeys when the car is cold are always going to give bad MPGs.

Today I had an MPG success story. Last night i brimmed my tank and reset my trip meter and today decided to do a trip Blackpool (from Stockport). I decided to drive as carefully as I could to achieve the best fuel economy. I stuck to around 65mph where possible and stayed behind larger vehicles when available (following the 2 second rule of course). I fuelled up on my return to Stockport and the results are a 7.45l fill up and 128 miles covered. I have recalculated the results numerous times as I didn't believe them first time round; 78 MPG! << Please correct me if I have calculated this wrong.

What I have taken from this is that fuel economy is not an exact science and if you don't have the right conditions or environment you probably won't get what the official figures state.

Very happy with my IQ and very happy with the MPGs it can obtain it the right conditions.

Using your figures, I also get 78mpg.

7.45 litres equates to 1.6388 imperial gallons

128 miles divided by 1.6388 equates to 78.1mpg.

Staying behind larger vehicles would have provided some slipstreaming effect, reducing drag on your car and reducing your fuel consumption - which is why you sometimes see HGV's travelling close together on motorways.

Hate to rain on your parade but you can never judge mpg results from one tank unless under scientific conditions. If you didn't quite fill up to the same level, then your results will be off. Could be as simple as the petrol forecourt having a slight slope and parking a different way round or using a different pump etc. I'd be amazed at any petrol car getting nearly 80 mpg at 65 mph. If you're really confident, then drain your tank, add 8 litres and try the trip again - dare ya. In reality you probably got a good 60 mpg though, which is still good.

Try fuelly and keep a long term log - you can write a side note explaining the tank. This will give you a good average.

Not going to try that, I don't like taking risks just for scientific confirmation :driving:. Perhaps you are correct in the its not the most accurate way to work out MPGs however I did refuel at the same station and at the same pump as its not a busy one. I just fueled up until it clicked. Maybe that would put the figures out around 10 MPG.

Might well give fuelly a go, thanks for the heads up on that.

What did the cars computer say? Usually Toyota ones over read by about 2-3 mpg. If that says 87 mpg, then you're spot on, though if it says 65, then there's your answer too.

I'd b e wary about just clicking off on the pump. That is so variable, though many modern cars don't like you to brim the tank either.

The important thing is you're enjoying the car and saving money :)

I to suggest joining up to fuelly. Im on my fourth tank and was pleased to get a congratulations flag up saying I had beaten my best consumption 56.1 on my IQ3. Brill Im well pleased. It also tells you how much you have spent and any other combination of results. (How do they do that for free ?) My best result on my 'stupid' dash gauge has been 54.6 so I dont put any faith in it. Also it had been flashing for about 10 miles last time out, and when I went to go out the next day it was back to 2 bars and remained so to the petrol stn 10 miles away, then only took 26.03 litres to fill to the brim. Grrr. Cheers Colin.

• 2 weeks later...

Just come back from a lovely drive to Wales and back 277 miles
Kicked its bum over the hills and the gauge showed 53.8mpg
Filled it up to the neck with 22.44l

Thats 56.2mpg
GET IN !!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Or did it mean your last tank mpg was reading under? ;)

I wanted to see how accurate the mpg gauge is so I fill it with fuel until I can see it at the neck. Then I set my trip, drive somewhere and fill it back up until I see the fuel at the neck again and I note the litres it takes and the mileage on the trip.

It's the only true accurate way to measure MPG

• 1 month later...

Great sunny day today so time for a trip to Barmouth. A lot of slow traffic on the roads, so not really surprising that we got such good MPG. At 54.9 miles, over some rather steep hills on the A470.

First picture shows best MPG on arrival in Barmouth, and second shows MPG achieved on return journey, sat in driveway.

post-113536-0-28875300-1433434153_thumb.

post-113536-0-74723400-1433434267_thumb.

Great sunny day today so time for a trip to Barmouth. A lot of slow traffic on the roads, so not really surprising that we got such good MPG. At 54.9 miles, over some rather steep hills on the A470.

First picture shows best MPG on arrival in Barmouth, and second shows MPG achieved on return journey, sat in driveway.

I assume yours has had a new gauge fitted. Mine only goes up to 60mpg and it's 2010. However my fuelly results are way and above the gauge which under reads by some 3-4 mpg. Pleases me no end when I get the fuelly result. Loved Barmouth, went there on a steam train trip once. Great day out. The train driver had waist length hair and heavy makeup. He/she (very deep voice) did a very good job though. All made for a special and fun day out. Cheers Colin.

• 1 month later...

I like seeing this on Fuelly - Fuel-up Added - Best Tank!

Congratulations, this tank is your best so far at 61.5 UK MPG! Details - MPG: 51.2 / UK MPG: 61.5, mi/L: 13.5, Miles: 303.6, Litres: 22.44, Price: £1.15/Litre, Total: £25.78

I think is great, but think how much higher it would be without using the air-con. Of course, I don't want to be uncomfortable in the heat we have had of late. It's 22' today, has been as high as 26 around here (Shropshire). Also, nice to see that mileage with two notches still to go on the fuel gauge.

That's really great, Bob

Chris

iQ² in black ☆ red and white leather ☆ sunroof ☆ upgraded interior lighting ☆ white backlit dashboard/switches ☆ auto-folding mirrors ☆ smart entry ☆ auto-locking doors ☆ chrome exhaust ☆

I am constantly surprised by my fuelly results. My last tank gave a reading of 52.4 on my gauge just before I refilled yet fuelly gave 56.5 ?? (It was a hilly tankful) Nice to know my gauge under reads. Ive given up relying on my gauge and just use it to better my result by trying to get a higher reading before I reach home. Ps, I only use my aircon when its raining. Enjoying my new sunroof. Cheers Colin

I assume yours has had a new gauge fitted. Mine only goes up to 60mpg and it's 2010. However my fuelly results are way and above the gauge which under reads by some 3-4 mpg. Pleases me no end when I get the fuelly result. Loved Barmouth, went there on a steam train trip once. Great day out. The train driver had waist length hair and heavy makeup. He/she (very deep voice) did a very good job though. All made for a special and fun day out. Cheers Colin.

Yes Colin, had the new computer installed and sails past the 60mpg figure, well, some times. I think the fuelly results have to be relied upon more than the Mr T fuel gauge, that is almost useless. Yeah, Barmouth is a nice place, great beaches too. The best part though is The Mermaid Fish and Chip Shop just over the railway line from the car park. It's almost worth going out for the drive just to go there.

:thumbsup::pepsi:

That's really great, Bob

Chris

iQ² in black ☆ red and white leather ☆ sunroof ☆ upgraded interior lighting ☆ white backlit dashboard/switches ☆ auto-folding mirrors ☆ smart entry ☆ auto-locking doors ☆ chrome exhaust ☆

Cheers Chris. Just got another Fuelly in, here's the results -this includes using the AC a few times.

Fuel-up Added Best Tank! Congratulations, this tank is your best so far at 62.8 UK MPG! Details - MPG: 52.3 / UK MPG: 62.8 mi/L: 13.8 Miles: 253.7 Litres: 18.37 Price: £1.15/Litre Total: £21.07

All,

As there are references to having a new computer installed, is this done by Toyota free of charge or is there a large cost associated with getting it replaced to display more than 60mpg?

Cheers,

Mark

My 59 reg IQ3 originally displayed a maximum of 60 mpg. I mentioned this to the service department and they fitted a new unit displaying up to 99.9 mpg under warranty at 6073 miles. It resulted in the odometer being reset to 0 though.

• Like 1

Some people have had it done FOC by toyota, but I suspect that would only apply if the car was still in warranty. Loved the Fish & Chips at the Mermaid Barmouth. I also went there. As good as my 'local' The Harbour Fish shop Teignmouth Cheers Colin

• Like 1

I see, Einstein is under just under 80,000 miles but has expired the five year warranty as it is an 09 plate (registered 1st March).

I'm sure I can live with it, but it would have been nice to get it replaced.

Cheers,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

My latest Fuelly Fuel-Up Added - 60.2 UK MPG

Details- UK MPG: 60.2, mi/L: 13.2, Miles: 220.3, Litres: 16.64, Price: £1.14/Litre, Total: £18.95. This was a fill-up at Sainsbury's, Shrewsbury today, 31-07-2015. One of the good things about this warmer weather, better mpg figures.

• 2 weeks later...

This was a fill-up at Sainsbury's, Shrewsbury today- Fuel-up Added: 60.2 UK MPG, miles/L: 13.2, Miles: 201.4, Litres: 15.22, Price: £1.12/Litre, Total: £17.03, happy with that. :driving:

Topped up yesterday.

Shell v-power nitro @ £1.21p with 35 litres (didn't expect to be able to put more than 32l in).

I did 401 miles before filling up. Got 52.2mpg.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Topped up yesterday.

Shell v-power nitro @ £1.21p with 35 litres (didn't expect to be able to put more than 32l in).

I did 401 miles before filling up. Got 52.2mpg.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

WOW! 401 Miles! That's great Mark. You're gonna hate this- 'You could say, you've really hit the mark on fuel economy...' :fireman:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links