Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another Mpg Thread

thomasaiwilcox

Filled up today done 371 miles and only filled up 28 litres so think i could have broke the 400 milestone averaged 59.1 acording to fuelly.

That's cracking, from the 1.3?

Today I was shocked to input our worst ever Fuelly figure, at 48mpg. Due to legality of our Winter tyres, they had to be removed and so had the Summer tyres to put on, which are very legal. However, soon hope to be purchasing some more Yokohama Winter rubber and swap them back again for safety. Besides, looking at the berries on the trees near us, this winter is going to be a bad one, although I would be quite happy for it to be an Indian Summer. We think the low Fuelly entry of 48 may have been down to the tyre swap. Filled up again today hence knowing that awful figure, By the time we got back the AVG was back up at 60.02. I like it anywhere in the 60's.

I also am very disappointed. Since having new front tyres (they fitted 185 55 16 Bridgestone Turunzas) due to the correct size and spec not being available, my fuel consumption has gone up 3-4 mpg. Have got new the tyres on the front and pumped them up to 36psi. Hiq have got a pair of same size Ecopias (£10 cheaper than 175's) on back order to replace the other two which are on the limit. They say with them in the front mpg should improve. We will wait and see. Why is it so difficult to get what you want. Bridgestone say its due to them not being a popular size that they only remake when there is sufficient demand. Wish I had Kept my T sport. at least you could get tyres for it. Cheers Colin

All through the summer I have been on my wider, 205/45 17 wheels and tyres and averaging 46-47mpg in the iQ3.

Last weekend I fitted my winter tyres which are the standard, 175/60 16 size, Dunlop SP winter sport tyres running at 32psi and one week and a tank of fuel later I'm up to 49mpg.

Tyres make a huge difference to fuel economy and the Bridgestones are an eco tyre. I prefer the grip that the 205/45 17 Toyo T1-R's offer over the fuel saving of the very ungrippy Bridgestone Ecopias though.

Craig.

Im off to Reading from Bovey Tracey today so will see if I can up my hopeless mpg. Last fuelly was 53.1 down from my usual 56-7. Front (new) tyres now set at 36psi and rears (Knackered) 32. Will have to order a pair from Mytyres, who seem to be the only people in the country with Bridgestone Ecopias in stock. Thats if I dont swap it for a 'T sport' (with dents) that Ive seen for sale. Will update when I return with next tankfull recorded. Wish me luck. Cheers Colin

Im off to Reading from Bovey Tracey today so will see if I can up my hopeless mpg. Last fuelly was 53.1 down from my usual 56-7. Front (new) tyres now set at 36psi and rears (Knackered) 32. Will have to order a pair from Mytyres, who seem to be the only people in the country with Bridgestone Ecopias in stock. Thats if I dont swap it for a 'T sport' (with dents) that Ive seen for sale. Will update when I return with next tankfull recorded. Wish me luck. Cheers Colin

Please swap your IQ. I'm sure someone else will love it more than you have. All you have done since you have owned it is moan about it.

For example. you put new tyres on and the gauge reads 20.1mph instead of 20mph

You put snow tyres on and MPG dropped - well that's obvious. They are a softer tyre with extra grooves in for more grip. More grip means more road resistance. More road resistance means less MPG. Not forgetting IT'S GETTING COLDER AND DARKER so you will use your heaters, headlights wipers and air con more.

Your MPG gauge has read constantly 3mpg more since you got the car and you are not happy with this. YOU ARE GETTING 56MPG !!!!

Your Yaris T-Sport only got 47.7mpg but it was accurate to 0.3mpg over 27000miles .............. WHO CARES

You insurance renewal ONLY came down by £10 and you were expecting more - It is still a saving

So lets work out how much you have actually saved.

27000 miles at 47.7 MPG at £1.10 per litre will cost you - £2833

27000 miles at 56 MPG at £1.10 per litre will cost you - £2413

You save only £10 on your insurance

And you save £150 on road tax

From the looks of it you had your Yaris for 2 years

So taking into account your mileage can be halved per year this means you have saved £370 by having your Toyota IQ

This will be a grand total of £740 saved over 2 years - and you don't need to fit new driveshafts like you did on your Yaris TSport

References:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/166520-ups-and-downs/

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/168609-another-new-owner/

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/167543-lambda-sensors-for-iq3/

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/166126-14-inch-space-saver/

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/166613-fuel-gauge-operation/

Please don't forget - these cars are city cars, they are not designed to be thrashed. If you get a sore back when you are driving it it is because it is basically a go kart.

Please don't take this the wrong way I just feel that you are being quite pedantic about things that don't matter.

Enjoy this car for what it is - not what it isn't

Since I have bought my IQ I have put new tyres all round, serviced it and fitted a new clutch.

This is general wear and tear. Yes I count the clutch as being general wear and tear because my car has done 160000miles.

Try getting that sort of reliability out of any other car. You can't

• Like 4

Thanks Adam. A little harsh maybe. But of course you are right. There are definitely savings to be had. Now back from Reading, and got a healthy 58.4 on that tank. Also that was with a major headwind coming back, had to spend long periods in 5th & 4th but that should have been cancelled by tailwind going. I can confirm that Bridgestone Turunzas do not suit the Iq. They have made the steering heavy and reluctant to deviate from the straight ahead at cruising speed on main roads, ie 60-70, making it hard work on a long trip. Have tried various pressures from 30 - 36 psi, with no improvement, so they will be straight on the back as soon as my contact at HiQ can find some Escopias. Meanwhile the T sport is still calling, even if the bank balance is saying no. Cheers All. Colin Ps its much happier on a long 'loping' trip than it is scooting around the Devon lanes.

• Like 1

Hi Colin

Glad my posting was taken in a light hearted way as it was intended to be.

I downsized from a Lexus LS400 to my Toyota IQ

When I got back after test driving the IQ the guy said "how was it?"

I replied "It's not a Lexus"

He laughed and said "Of course it isn't!!"

The point I was trying to make is for a city car these cars are awesome.

Very roomy inside, amazing turning circle and so much better than a smart car.

I'll tell you how good these cars are actually.........

As we know French always buy French cars (Renaults, Citroens and Peugeots)

The Germans always buy German cars (VAG , BMW, Mercedes)

The Smart car is made by the same company that makes Mercedes (Daimler-Benz)

So it would be no surprise that when I went to Berlin in 2011 that the city was FULL of Smart cars.

2012 Berlin - Full of Smart cars and a few IQs

2013 Berlin - Equal amounts of each car

2014 Berlin - More IQs less Smart cars

2015 Berlin - I didn't see one smart car the place was bursting with IQs.

My 1.0L noddy car fitted right in - apart from the steering wheel being on the wrong side !!

The point I was getting at anyway is "Why would any German choose a Japanese car over a 'quality built, home grown' German car.

My answer - because the Smart car is crap and the Germans know this !! The IQ is the best city car. And my little trips to Berlin proved this to me and ultimately made me decide to buy an IQ over a Smart.

• Like 1

I've had a massive improvement in my MPG considering I am now working further from home and averaging near 50 miles round trip.

As the trip takes in dual carriageways, I'm trying quite hard to stick to 40 MPH rather than hitting the limit. :)

• MPG: 50.7 / UK MPG: 60.8
  • mi/L: 13.4
  • Miles: 396.0
  • Litres: 29.59
  • Price: £1.15/Litre
  • Total: £34.00

I've had a massive improvement in my MPG considering I am now working further from home and averaging near 50 miles round trip.

As the trip takes in dual carriageways, I'm trying quite hard to stick to 40 MPH rather than hitting the limit. :)

• MPG: 50.7 / UK MPG: 60.8
  • mi/L: 13.4
  • Miles: 396.0
  • Litres: 29.59
  • Price: £1.15/Litre
  • Total: £34.00

Cool. It's a good feeling getting MPG out of this little motor. You can certainly do better with diesel, but why would you? This car is a little gem.

Hi Colin

Glad my posting was taken in a light hearted way as it was intended to be.

I downsized from a Lexus LS400 to my Toyota IQ

When I got back after test driving the IQ the guy said "how was it?"

I replied "It's not a Lexus"

He laughed and said "Of course it isn't!!"

The point I was trying to make is for a city car these cars are awesome.

Very roomy inside, amazing turning circle and so much better than a smart car.

I'll tell you how good these cars are actually.........

As we know French always buy French cars (Renaults, Citroens and Peugeots)

The Germans always buy German cars (VAG , BMW, Mercedes)

The Smart car is made by the same company that makes Mercedes (Daimler-Benz)

So it would be no surprise that when I went to Berlin in 2011 that the city was FULL of Smart cars.

2012 Berlin - Full of Smart cars and a few IQs

2013 Berlin - Equal amounts of each car

2014 Berlin - More IQs less Smart cars

2015 Berlin - I didn't see one smart car the place was bursting with IQs.

My 1.0L noddy car fitted right in - apart from the steering wheel being on the wrong side !!

The point I was getting at anyway is "Why would any German choose a Japanese car over a 'quality built, home grown' German car.

My answer - because the Smart car is crap and the Germans know this !! The IQ is the best city car. And my little trips to Berlin proved this to me and ultimately made me decide to buy an IQ over a Smart.

I am impressed with those stats Adam. Hard to imagine the Germans not buying from a 'local' brand. Still, the iQ is far better all around than the Smart Car.

• 1 month later...

I've just done 443 miles / 57.5mpg before filling up Einstein with 35 litres of Shell Nitro+. I got a bit worried driving home on the motorway as I had a sudden drop in power which caused my stomach to flip. I soon realised it was a very strong head wind I had driven into! Phew!

I do wonder how much more I would have gotten out of him if I was a little more daring :)

My manual states there is only a 32 litre tank so 35 litres is interesting!

I fill up at the first filling station after the fuel gauge starts to flash and usually end up putting 22 litres in. They quote a 6 litre reserve in the manual but I have always thought it must be much bigger - more like 12 litres.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links