Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Sr Insurance

smudge-1991

After a conversation with a insurance guy it turns out one of the biggest reasons young drivers car insurance is so high is because that any accident fault or not goes against them within the first few years of driving .... And that it isn't a massive factor about mileage doin 4000 or 40000 only changes it by a couple of quid .... And the forces get screwed over massively on insurance

According to Which? car insurance premiums for younger drivers are generally higher because they are statistically more likely to have an accident, and also claims for younger drivers are on average more expensive than for older drivers.

According to the Association of British Insurers (ABI), car insurers pay an average of £4,135 per claim for those aged 17-18, and an average of £1,798 for those aged 46-50.

• Like 1

It's funny tho as my first car only cost 250 quid lol

He told that all accidents regardless of fault were your fault anyway as new drivers go but I'm 24 not 17 I spoke to a broker and quizzed him to high heaven and he explained a lot and bassicly gave me the rules on what insurance companies go off I only bring this up as I had two accidents last year one not my fault btw but die to the premium hike which I was expecting I have had to go for a black box policy just to afford the premium ... And that they pretty much do what suits regardless of ABI reckon .... As also my excess went from £350 quid to 3000 minimum.

I get the young driver thing to know more competitive new driver etc but I also more older people (due to business) come in having crunched their cars and need repairs I think it is also down to a wage thing if a 50 something yr old comes in more of a chance he has the money to fix rather than your average 18 yr old does ... It works backwards to a degree but I'm only mentioning it due finding out some info about it.

The military thing is what really got my knickers in a twist .... As due to the "nature of your job" your high risk of something happening, when we Arnett even allowed to travel in uniform apart from in unforseen circumstances I.e wife been suddenly taken to hospital or similar.

There was a thread in the Yaris forum recently where a member's 17 year old son bought a Yaris 1.0 litre from his brother and they were having to change the (presumably non standard) alloys for steel wheels to reduce the insurance premium. Annual premium £1250 with steel wheels, or £3498 with alloys!

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/166741-changing-alloys-to-steels-for-insurance-purposes/

Must confess that I object to forces personnel being disadvantaged for things like insurance just because they're in the forces.

The insurance thing again, i have 13yrs no claims & according to someone who works in the insurance industry i would be classed as 'High Risk', because i haven't made a claim in 13 yrs i must then be due an accident!, i can understand the age pricing policy, what type of vehicle you drive, what you use the vehicle for etc etc, what i dont understand is what has your marital status got to do with driving a vehicle for gods sake, so are you penalised for being single, seperated, divorced or penalised for being married?, also as you stated what has your occupation got to do with it, unless you use your car for business purposes i just dont understand this, if you dont use your car for business & only use it for social, domestic, pleasure & commuting to a place of work why does your occupation come into it, no doubt the insurance industry will come out with 'a survey said this, a survey said that blah blah blah' or their favourite 'data shows this, data shows that', well show us the data that says a member of the forces is high risk whilst driving their private cars, my insurance which is due for renewal has ranged from £256 to over £1000 on price comparison sites & some wont even quote me because of my occupation even though i dont use my car for work purposes, thats the car insurance industry for you.

I can answer one question for you about employment.

I have always worked in the Film Industry (not the superstar side) and I asked my Insurance company why my premium was so high when I asked for a quote.

They said because I had put "film industry" on my application form I could be taking film stars in my car hence the high premium.

They asked me what my actual job was (optical printer for special effects) and the premium dropped like a stone.

I am now retired so things are a lot more simple.

Every yr my insurance has gone up on my Auris no matter how much I argue or haggle or try and fiddle about with the details on the comparison sites it goes up Adrian flux even wanted the best part of 2000

I was told by the Police that premiums can also be higher due to the risk factor of damage that a thief could do with the car after he nicked it. In my case a stolen car hit my company van which was parked overnight in a car park - apparently the owner's insurance is liable for any damage that car does, irrespective of the fact it was stolen. Imagine how much that bill could run up if he hit a few Range Rovers or something.

BTW it was highly suspected that it was the owner's son who "nicked" that car.

I just got my renewal through from admiral, last year my insurance was 630 (roughly) with lowered springs. this year they wanted 750! Havent actually phoned them yet, but put through a new quote as a new customer (still correct details for me just changed address by 1 and name) and then suddenly it dropped to 540 :/ Insurance companies are ripping of wa*&%^s for people our age (I'm 23).

Apparently your maximum no claims bonus is 5yrs so i take if you have 10,15,20yrs no claims & you make a claim you get punished the same whether you have 5yrs or 20yrs no claims bonus, also the fact if you have a non fault accident & claim the other dvrs insurer you have to put that down that you have made a claim for the next 3 to 5yrs even when someone elses fault & you didnt claim your own insurance, the car insurance minefield eh, oh & by the way i couldnt even get a quote from Toyota insurance & im 48 with 13yrs no claims bonus.

The maximum No Claims Discount/Bonus (NCD) can vary from insurer to insurer.

All that the NCD does is give you a discount on the premium - it doesn't prevent a premium being increased as a result of a claim.

NCD protection only protects the level of NCD discount you receive - having NCD protection doesn't prevent a premium being increased as a result of a claim.

If one makes a claim, in the eyes of the insurer, one's level of risk changes, which may mean that your premium changes at renewal.

According to my policy booklet from last year from Churchill from 5yrs onwards is the maximum discount it even states if you have 5,6,7,8 or 9yrs no claims in the event of a claim this will drop your no claims to 3yrs, so what i am saying is it doesn't matter if you have 5 or 9yrs no claims you still get penalised down to 3yrs so all the years above 5 basically mean nothing, if you have 5yrs no claims & you make a claim you lose 2yrs but if you have 9yrs no claims you lose 6?

That is with your insurer.

My insurer (LV) is different -

- for between 5 to 8 years NCD, in the event of a claim the NCD will drop to 3 years at next renewal

- for 9 years NCD, in the event of a claim the NCD will drop to 4 years.

This is why I said the maximum NCD and how it is affected by a claim varies from insurer to insurer.

LV also provide a Guaranteed NCD (cost less than £5 per year for us), where the NCD won't reduce no matter how many claims are made.

Remember Guaranteed NCD or NCD protection only affects the level of discount one gets - premiums may rise if a claim is made.

My current insurer is LV they wanted 2600 from 750

Have you been back to them and asked why the premium has increased, and whether they can move on the renewal price - they sometimes can or can put you on a slightly different policy. Might also be worthwhile seeing what they quote over the internet - if the internet quote is cheaper, go back to them and ask why.

Ye I rang them up and said whats the crack and they said it's the cheapest they can offer and it was the same online as well

Not motor but I have just renewed my home buildings & contents insurance.

Renewal offer comes in from Privilege - I never, ever auto renew anything without a comparison check.

Turns out that their sister company (Direct Line) is offering identical buildings & contents cover plus annual travel cover for only £1 more .... Phone up Privilege, explain the above & instantly 20% "goodwill & loyalty" discount (so why don't you get that in your renewal quote? ;) ) applied.

Moral of the story is never auto renew anything without checking what else is available even if you only use that information to negotiate with your existing supplier.

Frostyballs i understand the whole NCB protection thing & understand whether protected or not if you make a claim it will still affect your insurance come renewal, you have pointed out what i was trying to say, even with LV if you have 5yrs NCB you lose 2yrs after a claim but if you have 8 or 9yrs NCB & make a claim you lose 4yrs, i have changed insurer to Aviva & im waiting on the documents to come through, i will check their policy booklet but i will be annoyed if like Churchill after 1 claim you automatically drop down to 3yrs NCB, with me having 13yrs NCB i could potentially lose 10yrs NCB after 1 claim, ouch!!

Smudge have you tried the forces discount card, there are insurers on there giving discounts to members of the armed forces, there is even the Government backed scheme for armed forces personnel that a lot of companies including insurers have signed up to, they have special codes to quote, worth a try surely, good luck.

p.s. this also includes ex forces personnel for anybody out there.

I think its a bit of a con Tbh there should be a very simple chart to insure for age, county it's in car is kept , mileage covered, and whether they have had an accident ( fault ones ) no fault shouldn't affect it at all and your job shouldn't if it does it should only lower the premium not raise it .... Or even easier it's a set price for a certain age group .... Done something that people can access to know how much they will pay on insurance not something where the ask you stupid details that have no bearing on how you drive ... Like do you own your home, do you have a second job, relationship status and some of the other useless stuff. Every year Ncb should be accounted for

That was once nice thing about when I was with eSure - Their NCB policy means you don't lose any NCB at all in the event of a claim, no matter how many claims you have.

Currently with Toyota now, and their NCB policy is the more usual 2 claims in a year and then you lose your NCB.

Ye the discounts just bring it inline with all the other quotes that are close to cheapest but still over 1000

Insurance is just a monopoly. Insurers just use young drivers as a excuse to rip them off and make a quick killing. For me, on my first car at the age of 17 (still have to wait a few months) a Auris costs £9k insurance at old address. At current address it costs me £1.5k.... I mean really? First of all, old address was much safer area, current areas abit crazy so I dont know how insurance is cheaper. I dident change anything else only address. I have 0 NCB and no past experience, £1.5k is OK but still on the steep side.

Same with a 1.6 or 1.9 TDI Golf/Audi A3/ BMW 1 Series.

Every insurer has different experiences in the same area so varies the risk & hence premiums accordingly. I see it too on my quotes despite being 50+, clean licence, max. NCB etc. etc.

Apparently last year was the first year that UK car insurers have collectively been in profit for 20 years http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jun/09/uk-car-insurers-first-profit-20-years

I totally agree, £1500 seems rediculous but you've got think about their potential claims. Even a light prang along the side of a car could easily cost over a grand, especially if the other person needs a hire car for a week or two.

Maybe I'm thinking outside the box here but I'm pretty sure they could come up with some sort of scheme... like for example a 2 grand excess or something, enough that the new driver is putting their money where their mouth is (so to speak), ie prepared to take a serious hit if they drive like an a**e.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links