Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Oil Specification

joenewson

The manual for my new 1.6 diesel,Verso (the BMW engine, engine code 1WW) says 5W-30 engine oil.

That's simple enough, and I was just going to get some Castrol oil as it's what the local car place stocks (and I'm not going to my nearest dealership 2hrs away just for some oil).

When I looked on the Castrol website and stuck my registration in, it suggested Castrol Edge 0W-30 or Castrol Magnatec 5W-30. Both of these have an ACEA rating of C3 which I understand is relevant to the welfare of the DPF.

I'm slightly intrigued as to why it would recommend either of those two grades, and not just 5W-30 oil as per the handbook.

Do you think either would be ok to use?

You have kind of answered it yourself - it's to do with the required ratings.

Castrol have Edge>Magnatec> GTX. There is no GTX with the right ratings so it has to be either Edge or Magnatec. There is also a C3 rated Edge 5W30 but I guess that their system is set up to show a "best" (0W30 should in theory allow starting a little easier in the cold & a little better economy) & "acceptable". (there is also a C2 rated Magnatec 5W30 but if the manual says C3 rating use C3)

http://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-kingdom/products/cars/engine-oil.html

Thanks.

The Magantec is straightforward enough, it's the Edge that I'm not entirely sure about. Edge 0W-30 is C3, and according to them Toyota (and BMW) 'trusted'. The Edge 5W-30 is, as you say, also C3, but doesn't mention Toyota on its page, although BMW is still there.

The manual, which gives quite good detail for all the other Verso engines, simply states (paraphrased) 'Toyota 5W-30 or equivalent quality oil' for this particular engine. Maybe because it's relatively new, or not actually a Toyota engine?

The owners manual actually quotes: Toyota recommends the use of approved Toyota Genuine Motor Oil 5W-30 Premium Fuel Economy for 1WW/2WW engines.

Sounds to me as though Toyota sell a specific 5W-30 oil for the BMW diesel engines.
With the BMW diesel engines finding their way into the facelifted Auris and Avensis later this year, the required oil may have a different specification to the oil used in the Toyota diesels.
I would be inclined to stick with the grade of oil that Toyota recommends (5W-30), rather than go for 0W-30.
There is a similar requirement for coolant. The recommended coolant for the Toyota diesels is Toyota Super Long Life Coolant. For the BMW diesel, the recommended coolant is Toyota Premium Long Life Coolant for 1WW/2WW engines

You're quite right. In light of 'for 1WW/2WW engines' I can't even be sure that this is the right one then.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Toyota-Engine-Motor-Oil-5W30-PFE-1-Litre-Ltr-0888083388-/221615486785?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item33994ff741

I'll just ring the dealer tomorrow.

The dealer I bought from was kind enough to email me a copy of the page from their service instructions. There is a specific Toyota Premium Fuel Ecomony 5W-30 Oil for 1WW/2WW engines. It is clearly labelled on the bottle and for anyone's future reference the product codes at the moment are 08880-834787 and 08880-83478 for 1L and 5L respectively.

The same document states 'use only ACEA C3 5W30 PFE - this meets BMW classification LL04'. The Castrol Edge 5W30 meets these criteria so I'm happy I will be fine with that, and I get it locally rather than going to the dealer.

Re the coolant, the manual I have specifies, for the 1WW engine, either the Toyota coolant you mention above, or any from an approved list which it then details.

If you are looking for more than just a top up 1l you might want to check to see if the likes of Opie Oils can do the Edge cheaper than your local suppliers. Sometimes there can be quite significant differences in pricing & you can save ~£20 or more for a complete change.

• 5 years later...

Hi! My 1WW needs oil change soon, and I'm looking for the right oil.. I'm not sure if Castrol Edge 5W30 meets BMWs LL04 classification anymore?

What do you think about this oil? https://www.motul.com/ca/en-US/products/8100-x-clean-efe-5w30

Any experience, or other recommendations?