Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Knocking Rear Suspension

toms castrol

hi my avensis 2.0 D4D T27 has a really bad knocking noise in the left rear suspension when I go over ramps or bumps i've changed the rear anti roll bar bushings and drop links and its still the same strange thing is if its parked for a long time it takes about a mile driving and then it starts again checked everything underneath with a pry bar nothing seems to have any play any help would be great and very much appreciated thanks

Years ago I had a knock from front suspension on a BMW e30 (an E reg, 1987) which was only heard when going over very small bumps. It turned out to be the rubbers on the top of the strut mounts. Maybe worth checking for something similar?

Also my Dad recently had knocking on a Peugeot 206 which sounded like it was from the centre of the car - it turned out to be front drop links, although even the MOT tester couldn't find movement anywhere. I can't exactly recall the details but the play could only be found if the correct situation was set - something to do with the car needing to be "on it's feet" when prodded with a lever or something, or maybe it was the opposite ie it had to be jacked, sorry, can't remember.

edit...does the noise go away if you press the brakes? check the capliers for play.

• Like 1

maybey a bit of a curve ball here

some subarus are known for the strut itself knocking

drove some people crazy trying to find the knock and changed lots of components that didn't need changing

a bit of grease or similar on the chrome rod quietened it down for a while and verified the fault

• Like 1

+1 - the strut is really the only component which will change its characteristics after being driven. Consequently slackness in the shaft should be tested or apparent directly after driving the car until it starts knocking. A bounce test might also show different behaviour once the vehicle has been driven to knock point?

• Like 1

thanks guys for any info really do appreciate it im gonna change the shocks and mounts i'm finding it really hard to get them do anyone know a supplier where I could get them that would ship to Ireland thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links