Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wanting To Move From Skoda To Toyota

Helpmybob

Hi Guys, I am seriously considering moving from Skoda to Toyota,

I cannot have a car any more than 7 years 11 months old due to it going to be a taxi

Please could you advise the best petrol or diesel model to go for.

I have read all the reports of the 1.8 engine problems, but I have the chance of a 1.8 2006 plate with 123,000 miles. would the oil consumption problem have been fixed on that model year.

Or could you recommend the best diesel to go for.

I know the new version has a potential for the electronic handbrake to jam so want to avoid that model

Also what are the insurance groups of the 1.8 and the diesel models

What follows are general topics that can found in the forum.

Simple answer is that face lift 2006 models with the side indicators on the mirrors should be fine. The engines should not have oil burning issues from 2006.

The 1.8 with 123,000 miles is average, but history is a must, with regular oil changes. I would make sure that the clutch is fine and the gearbox has no issues. I could be more extreme and plug a diagnostic reader to see if anything is being held in the ECU. The most extreme I would go (it shoulod not be necessary), is a compression test. Check the coolant and other fluids.

The diesels are known to have headgasket problems especially the 2.2.

I cannot say which engine is better other than it must suit your usage.

The mk3 electronic handbrake is a problem with all makes and models, not just Toyota. Only a few cars have had issues with the handbrake.

Try site like Parkers guide http://www.parkers.co.uk/ or other similar sites to find out about insurance groups.

Somebody will give better advice from experience.

Hope you find the car you are after.

I am seriously considering moving from Skoda to Toyota,

why? Skoda seems the post popular choice for taxi's mainly due to 1.9 tdi mpg.

Simple answer is that face lift 2006 models with the side indicators on the mirrors should be fine. The engines should not have oil burning issues from 2006.

+1

Personally I would aim for one with fewer miles if going for petrol as Konrad has mentioned with it being chain cam regular oil changes are a must.

I was advised of Pete who isn't on here much anymore to go for the 1cd-ftv as a taxi I am glad I took his advice. which is the old 2.0 diesel belt driven engine.

it has no dpf or electronic handbrake. but this engine only goes to early 2006 in the avensis.

the diesels engines from 06-09(turn signals in mirrors and 2.0's have 6th gear) suffer from headgasket issues. the only way I would buy one of these if it could be proven its had a 3/4 engine fitted by Toyota under warranty.

hope this helps

• Like 2

If you can only have an 8 year old max car isn't a 2006 plate already too old & a 2007 plate won't last you long until it is, too?

As for the Avensis, pretty much as above. the only thing that I would add is it is potential head gasket issues for the 1AD/2AD diesel engines up until February 2009. Best guesstimates (only Toyota knows the exact figures for sure & they are not telling) suggest that prevalence is under (probably well under) 5% - the problem is that you can't tell which one in 20 will develop it & by the time that you can tell it is too late (& it's a very expensive fix as Toyota say that the head should not be skimmed).

I have posted on here before that I am seeing a marked increase in the no. of Avensis T27s used as private hire cars around Glasgow - don't know why but I do know that you guys talk to each other a lot about different cars, their economics & reliability so I can only guess that some have been finding them good & passing that on.

• Like 1

I am seriously considering moving from Skoda to Toyota,

why? Skoda seems the post popular choice for taxi's mainly due to 1.9 tdi mpg.

+1

Personally I would aim for one with fewer miles if going for petrol as Konrad has mentioned with it being chain cam regular oil changes are a must.

I was advised of Pete who isn't on here much anymore to go for the 1cd-ftv as a taxi I am glad I took his advice. which is the old 2.0 diesel belt driven engine.

it has no dpf or electronic handbrake. but this engine only goes to early 2006 in the avensis.

the diesels engines from 06-09(turn signals in mirrors and 2.0's have 6th gear) suffer from headgasket issues. the only way I would buy one of these if it could be proven its had a 3/4 engine fitted by Toyota under warranty.

hope this helps

I back everything "I" has said.

Skoda are not bad cars but the prices have risen with their reputation.

The rule and regulations of the taxi business, means having to balance the correct car with the finance. Get the wrong car and it will cost. Also some good cars that are probably better than the newer cars, cannot be used as taxis.

I should have said in my first post that it the car is under 7 years 11 months, from date of first registration, we can get a 3 year licence, the owner of the 6 plate, managed to get a renewal early. so it can now run for another 3 years before it has to come off.

I have a Skoda superb 59 plate at the moment, Have had a recon engine fitted but it started overheating so cutting my losses, getting it sorted then sold or traded, the Skoda BXE 1.9 diesels are bad for con rods snapping.

The 1.6 CR ones blow the egr valves at £900 a shot

The seller of the 1.8 has also said it has basic sat nav, can this be updated to a full colour screen with bluetooth, and if it can what's the best option so it could be updated.

• Like 1

I should have said in my first post that it the car is under 7 years 11 months, from date of first registration, we can get a 3 year licence, the owner of the 6 plate, managed to get a renewal early. so it can now run for another 3 years before it has to come off.

I have a Skoda superb 59 plate at the moment, Have had a recon engine fitted but it started overheating so cutting my losses, getting it sorted then sold or traded, the Skoda BXE 1.9 diesels are bad for con rods snapping.

The 1.6 CR ones blow the egr valves at £900 a shot

The seller of the 1.8 has also said it has basic sat nav, can this be updated to a full colour screen with Bluetooth, and if it can what's the best option so it could be updated.

So the car your buying is already a taxi, if it is then that would be a big NO from me. I would never buy a ex taxi to run as one.

Not seen a Toyota sat nav yet do a better job than my TOMTOM my current sat nav in car does not even take postcodes.

• Like 1

agree with avensis d4d786

id keep looking at different models

im biased and used to work for toyota

I reckon my model with the 1cd diesel engine is pretty bullet proof and would be reluctant to go for anything later.

that's why when the time comes I will be moving back to something german

agree with avensis d4d786

id keep looking at different models

im biased and used to work for toyota

I reckon my model with the 1cd diesel engine is pretty bullet proof and would be reluctant to go for anything later.

that's why when the time comes I will be moving back to something german

I have probably said this before I will try and keep the 1cd avensis aslong as I can. if your looking for a reliable set up with low running costs then this is the one for high mileage use. if your looking to tune and more power then look elsewhere.

The seller of the 1.8 has also said it has basic sat nav, can this be updated to a full colour screen with Bluetooth, and if it can what's the best option so it could be updated.

Mmmm, would have thought a taxi driver would be less in need of a sat nav, don't you need an excellent knowledge of the area when getting a taxi license

Am a truck driver myself and rarely use one but now and again they're useful, needed a damn good one wednesday cos the one time i did need it my mobile signal was too crap to run google maps

Mmmm, would have thought a taxi driver would be less in need of a sat nav, don't you need an excellent knowledge of the area when getting a taxi license

Am a truck driver myself and rarely use one but now and again they're useful, needed a damn good one wednesday cos the one time i did need it my mobile signal was too crap to run google maps

This is where Nokia Windows phones have the advantage - maps are pre-loaded.

I own both android and windows and both have their good points. You can preload parts of map and routes on a Google phone, but it is not permanent.

I gave my satnav to my brother, so have to use my phones if needed.

On Facebook a new thing has come up about a hole punched below lock of passenger door, cars accessed and any docs with addresses are noted, any satnav is checked for the home address, nothing is stolen. The real target is the home. Also according to the person, when she contacted her insurance, they are aware of the MO and told her what was mentioned earlier.

Taxi driver should have the knowledge, minicab driver does not.

Also I am not fond of the built-in satnav. Updates are too expensive and operation restrictive.

• Like 1

If you have a decent 3G phone signal google maps is hard to beat although newly built housing areasbmay not be added for a while. Trouble is a lot of northern Scotland outside the main towns we get a pretty poor 2G signal which making it near impossible to get onto maps.

I was working for a driving agency 7 or 8 years ago.Could be driving for 5 different companies in one week delivery any possible load imaginable to anywhere in Scotland with no google maps or sat nav. Got to be very good at finding out of the way places with no sign posting at all. One thing I learnt,if completely clueless where to start looking go to the post office and ask a teller,if they don't know nobody will but a taxi driver can't really do that every 5 mins

That's disturbing about theives raiding your car for documents, i have license, drivers tacho card n CPC card for work

, wage slips n god knows what else in mine.They'd have a goodd days work out of my car lol

Ok so its the 1.8 petrol with mirror indicators that don't have the oil problems, so what diesel engine do I look for. it has to be under 7 years 11 months to get a 3 year licence that is also less problematic, I also require bluetooth due to the job, don't like those earpieces

unless your car has already been fitted with a bluetooth kit (either Toyota oem or 3rd party e.g. Parrot) they didn't come fitted as standard on any T25 afaik.

Diesels, I would say get a post February 2009 built car (so a T27 but not 1 of the first) to minimise risk of head/headgasket issues (which to be fair are probably well under 5%).

Of course I am sure that you know that with high mileage cars comes a higher chance of having to replace DPF, injectors, clutch/DMF etc. at some point none of which are cheap.

This is where Nokia Windows phones have the advantage - maps are pre-loaded.

I own both android and windows and both have their good points. You can preload parts of map and routes on a Google phone, but it is not permanent.

I gave my satnav to my brother, so have to use my phones if needed.

On Facebook a new thing has come up about a hole punched below lock of passenger door, cars accessed and any docs with addresses are noted, any satnav is checked for the home address, nothing is stolen. The real target is the home. Also according to the person, when she contacted her insurance, they are aware of the MO and told her what was mentioned earlier.

Taxi driver should have the knowledge, minicab driver does not.

Also I am not fond of the built-in satnav. Updates are too expensive and operation restrictive.

If you have a decent 3G phone signal google maps is hard to beat although newly built housing areasbmay not be added for a while. Trouble is a lot of northern Scotland outside the main towns we get a pretty poor 2G signal which making it near impossible to get onto maps.

I was working for a driving agency 7 or 8 years ago.Could be driving for 5 different companies in one week delivery any possible load imaginable to anywhere in Scotland with no google maps or sat nav. Got to be very good at finding out of the way places with no sign posting at all. One thing I learnt,if completely clueless where to start looking go to the post office and ask a teller,if they don't know nobody will but a taxi driver can't really do that every 5 mins

That's disturbing about theives raiding your car for documents, i have license, drivers tacho card n CPC card for work

, wage slips n god knows what else in mine.They'd have a goodd days work out of my car lol

Regarding my statement about the thieves punching a hole in the door to enter car, I thought that some deadlocks would make it harder, so only certain make/models will be affected. The facebook post did not say what car or cars are affected.

I would imagine there would be some legal grey area around publishing any list of which cars are prone it'd be like advertising which cars to target to any theives on facebook lol

any 1AD/2AD engine.

If you do go T27 then you have the EPB though which not everybody gets on with & there have been some reports of actuator failure (a £1k fix) [tbh the potential actuator problem with this while it exists is very rare].

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a 2007 D4D strata, it has 390 thousand kilometers, a mixture of motorway and short run kilometer's, I use it as a taxi, have had it for the past four years, had 70k on it when I bought it, and I have never had one single problem with the car, I service it every seven thousand or so, get the four wheel alignment done every year, and just have done all the usual bits that you would have to do with any car, I wont be changing it for another year or so, and I will for sure be buying another Avensis, so easy to get parts for, and so easy to work on, I know at least 80% of the taxi's in Dublin airport are Avensis, say's a lot !! Best of luck with your decision,,,,,,,

I wish parts where easy and cheap to get hold of here in the UK.

most of taxi's around this way are skoda's

do many of the avensis taxi's suffer from the headgasket?

I have never heard of headgasket going on them here, just once, which is good considering the amount of them around, I have heard of blown turbo , yes Dublin has it's fair share of Skoda Octavia, but mostly Avensis, sometimes when im waiting just outside the airport at a garage where all the Taxi's wait, its amazing to see the amount of Avensis that go past, like a Toyota parade, and now im starting to see a lot of prius, using there green slogan as an advertising gimmick, !

maybe you should look at some of the parts yards here in Ireland, and get them couriered over to Gb ,( if you needed them or couldn't get them in England ) most of them do that now anyway, I remember I had a 406 and I got a lot of parts from Northern Ireland,

somebody said in a post here or somewhere on the Toyota forum, servicing is the key to a car's running , and I swear by it, my car is what earns me my wage, I change the oil and filter every 5 to 7 thousand km, and then every second time I do the oil and fuel and filters, I also get the four wheel alignment done every year, keeps the wear and tear down on tyres and ball joints etc.,

I have never heard of headgasket going on them here, just once, which is good considering the amount of them around, I have heard of blown turbo , yes Dublin has it's fair share of Skoda Octavia, but mostly Avensis, sometimes when im waiting just outside the airport at a garage where all the Taxi's wait, its amazing to see the amount of Avensis that go past, like a Toyota parade, and now im starting to see a lot of prius, using there green slogan as an advertising gimmick, !

maybe you should look at some of the parts yards here in Ireland, and get them couriered over to Gb ,( if you needed them or couldn't get them in England ) most of them do that now anyway, I remember I had a 406 and I got a lot of parts from Northern Ireland,

somebody said in a post here or somewhere on the Toyota forum, servicing is the key to a car's running , and I swear by it, my car is what earns me my wage, I change the oil and filter every 5 to 7 thousand km, and then every second time I do the oil and fuel and filters, I also get the four wheel alignment done every year, keeps the wear and tear down on tyres and ball joints etc.,

can you message me some parts yards names or numbers please.

what engine is in yours is the 1ad-ftv?

Hello, have sent you a message, hope it goes through, I actually don't know what engine I have , will look in the log book tomorrow, to lazy to go out to the car now !! Thanks, will get back to you, !!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links