Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica Buying Problem!

tarantula_123

Hi,

I sadly had my Yaris scrapped the other week, and I am ready to get a Celica (190).

I am having problems buying one for very good or better condition, in my price bracket of up to £3600.

As long as the mileage is no higher than 85,000 and no older than 2003, I'm happy, providing it doesn't have tatty bodywork/interior, mechanical faults (lift bolts not working) etc, or bad clutch/tyres/brakes.

I went to visit one for £3690 on auto trader today, (won't let me post link), it's black and selling at Castle Car Sales. It states 'very very nice condition, but when I get there, it barely had any oil in when measuring, to which he said it won't do when you have had the engine running, and average-good body work, with a small dent under the driver's door handle. The brakes were rusted, to which he said they will due to being sitting around there.

Most importantly though, I am not sure I could feel the lift kick in at 6,000 odd revs. Could this be due to the low oil?

He said he would do it for £3,600, but declined my offer of £3,300 or £3,400.

Anyone got any advice on buying/checks etc. Or better still, anybody got any links for cars for sale, which they know are good quality?

Thanks,

tarantula_123

As you have said your NOT ready to get a 190 you won't feel lift kick in if it was a 140 as 140's don't have lift.

You'll probably get a better example buying private from a member over on celica club, will be better looked after, and stay away from 2000 - 2002 models due to the possibility of oil burning issues if it's a 140 your looking at, 190's didn't have this problem.

As you have said your NOT ready to get a 190 you won't feel lift kick in if it was a 140 as 140's don't have lift.

You'll probably get a better example buying private from a member over on celica club, will be better looked after, and stay away from 2000 - 2002 models due to the possibility of oil burning issues if it's a 140 your looking at, 190's didn't have this problem.

Oil consumption issue on 140 engine was not fixed until July 2005 production so all cars pre July 2005 could possibly have the issue

Hi,

Thanks for replies.

Sorry, I worded it wrong but changed it now :)

I was meant to say that I am ready for a Celica 190. The car I test drove today was a 190.

I would never buy a 140, and I am aware of the pre 2002 oil troubles, hence why I am only going for 2003 onwards.

I was just curious as to the oil troubles I encountered on the 190 model today I looked at. Also, I forgot to add that when I got inside, with the door still open and ignition keys out, the alarm went off. The dealer said they do this when the key isn't inserted. Is this correct?

Thanks,

tarantula_123

Stay away from that car, it sounds like it might have a few issues, alarm problem isn't true never heard of that one, i've had my GT now for nearly 6 years and a 190 for 12 monthe before that never had that happen on either in 7 years of celica ownership.

The 190 engine will burn some oil when in lift, but will be minimal, sounds like the car either hasn't had an oil change for a while or there is a problem causing it to use excessive oil.

As for lift not kicking in engine has to be up to temperature, usually driving for around ten minutes, it's a safety feature so you don't ruin your engine, most of us celica owners wait for the water temperature to get up to the third bar before hitting lift, it does kick in on the second bar, but I wait a little longer.

Brakes will be rusty from standing this is normal, and just so you know brake pedal is usually spongey on the gen 7, braided hoses, brake cylinder stopper and some decent discs, pads and fluid usually help but never fully goes away, a big brake kit will make them perfect though if your going to mod or keep it standard?

Oil consumption issue on 140 engine was not fixed until July 2005 production so all cars pre July 2005 could possibly have the issue

From what i've gathered over the years, Engines after 2003 were fitted with a new dipstick with higher max markings for more oil in the sump and the internals had more oil drain holes in them as these were clogging up to easily because there weren't enough of them, and if owners were not servicing regularly then the engines were more prone to it happening from dirtier oil.

Any engine can suffer from excessive oil burning, seems like Toyota really messed up with the 140 engine, 190 engines are fine and are co developed with yamaha, this is probably why there is a Subaru engine in the GT86 so Toyota didn't make another bad engine.

Some of the cars your looking at will be around 10-12 years old now so if you want one in mint condition you may end up paying a bit more for it, or hve to look at a slightly newer one.

They are both nice.

I'm just a little sceptical about the dent/paint chips though.

Mileage wise I don't mind up to 100k, if people on here think that they will still run for another few years with no major issues.

The main thing for me is to get excellent body work, with excellent engine.

And coming to the modifications you asked about, yes, in time I would love to. I have been reading about the TRD clutches/flywheels, and air filters. Sadly, I am struggling to find them on the internet in the UK.

So I guess bodywork, interior and under the bonnet would be prioritised over clutch/brakes and exhaust. Tyres I don't mind of either really.

Also, what would you say about private sellers?

Thanks again,

tarantula_123

to be honest as i said in a earlier post most cars are between 10 - 12 years old, i think you may have to make a little bit of a compromise somewhere, most cars will have a few imperfections for the age.

celicas are know for getting really bad stone chips on the front bumper and bonnet.

if you buy your celica from a private seller you'll end up saving a few £££ over a garage/car dealership.

As for your trd parts the only place you'll get them is fensport

http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_16/

I only have TRD body bodyparts, not any mechnical parts, you will pay more for them beacuse they are made by toyota, but the quality is good.

Both look pretty clean from the pictures, good luck when you go to see them if your not sure walk away, any other things your not sure about ask on here first, only downside is it's pretty quiet on here theres only a few members who own celicas who are on here every few days, I don' know tons of celica stuff but will help where I can, and scarlett arrow is another to ask who is knowledgeable in the celica department.

happy hunting

I wouldn't totally discount a 140 tbh.....despite the horror stories you'll hear about oil burning etc...it is NOT a given that every car will have such an issue...The pre-facelift Celica was more prone to it...but there are many that do not suffer the problem. The car should have been serviced and, importantly, had it's oil and filter changed REGULARLY....preferably every 5/6k miles...and that the correct oil spec has been used. (5w/30 Toyota recommend).

Unless you have a yearning for "lift" then the 140 is worth considering...better cruising due to the slightly longer top gearing...slightly better road tax..;.slightly cheaper insurance.

OK...not big things in themselves perhaps and it certainly wouldn't stop me buying a 190 IF I really wanted one...but on "normal" driving the difference between the two is not that stark.....if you WANT the "hooligan" element available to you when you feel like it..then go for the 190... :laughing: ...if not, go for the 140...either way you'll have a fine car that's a joy to drive.

My 140 is 12 years old now...pretty immaculate...86k miles with full history...the oil/filter is changed every 5k miles and it has NO issues relating to burning oil..!!..they ARE out there...be patient..find the one that;s right for you...and walk away if you have ANY doubt whatsoever.

Good luck

Neil

• Like 2

I agree with Neil. The 140 has more usable low down torque, and, more importantly, a top gear for cruising on the motorway. Have a look at the "Premium Blue" models (in Silver, Black, or Blue), with features such as a Sunroof/Alloy Pedals/multi CD..which aren't standard on a face lift T Sport.

Also, there is nowhere near 50 bhp between the two..as shown when 190/T Sport owners have used a R/R.

Hi again,

Age I'm not so bothered about.

Would you consider 93k to be high mileage for a Celica? What are peoples perceptions on the mileage they are capable of usually hitting?

Thanks,

tarantula_123

I know a memebr on another forum has hit 200k in his 140, there are a few 190's with 150k + on them, plenty with over 100k

Mileage doesn't seem a problem, if the engine has been looked after then it should be fine.

That's ok then.

I should be going to see this asap:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-Toyota-Celica-18-T-Sport-VVTLi-/131461686892

Everything seems legit.

I am losing count now on how many times I have been let down by inaccurate information by sellers/dealers now.

I have had two where they have had no service for 20k miles, but still look lovely cars.

I have someone also looking out for one for me, but a mechanic/dealer told him that he doesn't rate them. Apparently they were good in there day, but a lot of them have been thrashed about by boy racers. I guess this is what you have to expect, but it won't put me off buying one. After all, who wouldn't buy this car and have some fun in it?

Seems a well cared for example....worth a look at least I'd say.

I don't think the Celica is necessarily a car that has been "thrashed".....many have been extremely well cared for, both cosmetically and mechanically, by peeps who love the marque.

A traditional "hot hatch" (warmed up Eurobox) has IMO got far more chance of being "abused"...but of course there are bad examples out there...show me a make/model that hasn't suffered those.???

good luck whatever. :)

Neil

My thoughts on that listing:

Could be a Trader, as there is also a Civic Type R listed, which he again claims is his car. You would also expect an owner to know the car is not Black, but Storm Blue.

Unlikely to have a Sunroof, as the details look to have been pasted.

If its had as much love and money spent as claimed, it should have four matching PREMIUM tyres fitted. Personally, that would be the first thing I'd ask.

Hi,

It looks black to me, but I see your point about the sunroof.

This one I enquired about looks storm blue but is stated is black. Look at the paintwork in pic 9, very strange indeed.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201503181833551/sort/default/model/celica/make/toyota/usedcars/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/engine-size-cars/1-7l_to_1-9l/radius/1500/page/4/zero-to-60/fast/channel/cars/postcode/le101ja?logcode=p

The one on eBay has not messaged back yet since yesterday when I asked if he could email me the HPI report and service intervals.

Had a message off the eBay one, and he emailed me the mot ref no so I can check its history, and pics of service history and receipts.

It has only ever failed an mot due to damage on windscreen and a bulge in tyre. It has passed its last four or five without advisories.

The car has done 108k miles, but service history stamps stop at 66k. This is apparently due to privately servicing it himself from thereon. I don't think he has receipts for this though.

He did however say he will drop price to £2k, and I should go and visit to see how much car I am getting for my money.

Hmmm..... what to do!

As has been said..there are a few "questions"...but sometimes you just have to go look otherwise you'll never know.!..but I'd be happier IF he could provide some proof of "private servicing"....receipts etc...if it's that well cared for he'll have records of when and what things were done.

I keep every receipt for everything I buy for my Celica (apart from fuel..lol)...and a written record of what's been done to it.

It may well be worth a physical look...pics can tell lies.!...but, as with any car, do it with your head not your heart.!

Neil

I would never even consider buying a car wihtout first looking and driving it first......

I would never even consider buying a car wihtout first looking and driving it first......

In fairness to the OP...I don't think he was ever contemplating doing that.!

Neil

Correct RUToyota!

I am solely reliant on public transport to go and view cars atm, so I need a good indication of what they are like before I visit.

Maybe I'm being a bit picky, but hey, a £3.5k - £4k budget is a lot to spend on a car in my opinion, not sure about anyone else. You can get a lot of car for the money with that, and I want something to last.

So far, I have failed to find one that has been sufficiently serviced on time whilst meeting my standards. They have all had 20k - 30k mile gaps in between some services. How people can get away with doing that, or even wanting to do that, to a car is beyond me.

I will keep looking though!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links