Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2004 New Rear Disc Noise *urgent*

avensisd4d786

Hi guys.

I have put on new rear discs today and pads, its not the first time I have done them.

everything was going smoothly until I took out for a test drive.

its a scraping noise, no smoke, caliper is fine.

wheel spins freely and this noise can be heard when you spin the wheel,

I have taken the disc off and pushed the dust shield cover plate away from the disc just in case it was this.

has anyone came across this, the passenger rear is fine, just this drivers side rear

I have rear discs for brakes and shoes for handbrake.

460551D.png

First I would isolate the scraping to either the handbrake or caliper assembly. You may have caught either one of the shoes or a pad support clip whilst you were busy? It'll hopefully be something simple.

• Like 2

I think you will probably find it's the dust shields. I have had to remove both of the rear shields. They are rather expensive to renew, so it's just s matter of keeping the linkages/discs clean periodically

• Like 1

Thank you Gary and Clive for your replies-

UPDATE;

took the disc off and the pin circled in red had no where to hold on too, (must of broke/fell off due to rust)

anyways I put a washer behind the dust shield and fed the pin through so the shoe is in place.

also I have noticed the inner part of the dust shield is missing again shiny metal tells me its broke off.(this may of been catching the disc)

basically I need a new dust shield.

Clive or can anyone advise how the dust shields come off, can I do whilst on the car or do I need to remove the whole hub.

post-125194-0-58030400-1428868364_thumb.

I just hope a new rear dust shield isn't expensive

Toyota want silly money for it so will have get one from breakers. does anyone have any contacts in japan

I hunted high and low for two rears, no success. So I didn't replace. I have a combines disc and handbrake mechanism (no drums) and as I have no guards I periodically have to oil and grease this. just a matter of keeping clean really. If you find a supplier please let me know as your right about Toyota. To replace you will have to remove the hub as the guards are "mounted" between to the hub and the hub carrier

Hi again Clive, I managed to get one of eBay I type in avensis hub and looked for one with a good back plate.

after looking at it, it looks like its sandwiched between the wheel bearing and rear knuckle. I don't see how you have removed them as the pins that hold the shoes in place sits through the plate.

is there wheel bearing just held in by 4 bolts do you know if I will need a puller to pull the wheel bearing hub out?

Ah!I think your rear hub is different to mine. My Avensis is Mar 02,no brake shoes disc only, how eve rth shields had rusted so much I just pulledcthem off. In your case the whole hub would have to be removed off the hub carrier in order to release the old sheilds, I think, I have left thecremainder of the shields still in place

Hi. You wil need to remove the hub to fit the dust cover. I didn't as mine were so rusty I just tore them off, leaving the center part still fixed. I note that your Avensis is a later model than mine, with drum operated handbrake. Well done for finding a complete hub, the one I saw recently needed too much refurbishment. I have driven some 20k without the dust covers without any adverse issues, apart from having to keep the handbrake mechanism clean, but there again the handbrake works solely on the disc on my Avensis. Good luck, by the way I would think it is important to ensure that the mating surfaces are scrupulously clean otherwise the wheel alignment will be out!!!

Thanks, this is a picture of mine

$_57.JPG

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links