Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil Light

kenww

Vvti sensor,the one behind belt top of engine changed after engine and oil pressure lights both came on when driving.see prev post.

Now no oil light symbol when ignition turned on,wiring to sensor in place, should I suspect bodge to hide problem?

So you kept the car then .. ?

Did you ask your local Toyota dealer how much that camshaft oil sensor is ?

Assume the problem is that one just above the alternator, there is also the oil pressure switch down below the alternator near the oil filter.

Could be a bodge or still a faulty sensor or another cause of the problem.

The classic trick is to remove the bulb or disconnect the relevant wire etc from the dash board, hence nothing shows when you turn the ignition on, though not sure its an easy thing to get a those bulbs on the corolla

Sound like you need to take it back again ....

Hi

Yes it was the sensor behind alternator,but surprised to read but doesn't cut in till 6200 rpm so prob will never feel it.

Oil sensor just above filter wired up,doesn't look like dials have been out but it wouldn't would it.

Assume oil light should illuminate when ignition turned on,

Your right it should go back again , shame as it comes with good history, is nice and clean and drives well.

Mz

When you turn the ignition on, the Oil and Engine icons light up and stay on until the engine is started.

There seems a mix of info about the oil control valve, seems its just a controlled valve, not actually any sensor feedback from it, thats done by other sensors reacting to the changes the OCV should effect.

Found these links which might help if you are into diy.

http://www.toyotaguru.us/sequoia-2001-repair/note-ocv-for-vvl-system-may-also-be-referred-to-as-camshaft-timing-oil-control-valve-vvl-or-variable-valve-lift-vvl-oil-control-valve.html

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/31918-diy-servicingchanging-oil-control-valve-ocv-filtersstrainers/

Though I have seen some mention about the 6200rpm did not know it applied to the 1.4 and 1.6 engine, though your drivng suggest it does.

From the 'speed boys' posts with their 1.8 Tsports /Compressor models I thought it was more to do with what they call ' the lift' when they do over 6200 rpm ..??

Its down to you what route you take, but if you otherwise really like the car, then I think I would first find out why the Oil light is off, if not the dash bulb / wire then I would look at the oil pressure switch next to the oil filter - have they unplugged it in an effort to turn off the oil light, or put some insulation between the plugs contacts.

Unable to see any clear uk prices for that oil control valve, but I would find out the proper price from toyota and perhaps try one before returning the car ( you could put the old on back in ) or you could try cleaning its filter as that link suggests , if fitted on your model ?

Equally if you are certain that valve only affect performance above the 6200 red line limit then I think I might just run it as is, I take mine to 6200 occasionally, in 3rd, just to clear its throat, but in normal use I would never get anywhere near 6200 or even want to scream it in 1st or 2nd gear.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links