Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question About Toyota Avensis 2002 2.0

Adam3

Hi guys

I have question about Toyota Avensis 2002 (2.0)

How many miles per gallon this car goes? or how many kilometres on litre ?

Which car you prefer to buy Toyota Avensis 2002 (2.0) or Toyota Corolla 2002 (1.6) ؟ which car is the best your opinion ؟

Being bias I would say Avensis. More space obviously. More relaxed at motorway speeds.

The Corolla should have advantage on economy.

2002 Avensis is the better engine. I had the lean burn version in a '98 model and if I drove it carefully I got 44mpg. The 2002 model is the vvti so may not return as good consumption.

Stay well away from the 1.6vvti Corolla engine (and the 1.4) as they cnsume oil like it is going out of fashion. Toyota had a problem and many were changed under warranty if they began burning oil after 30K miles. If you went outside warranty and it had been serviced solely by them they might consider changing it but you had to argue the toss. We just sent a 2001 1.6vvti to the scrappie as at 75K miles it was burning a litre of oil every 500 miles and wouldn't pass it's next MoT.

The avensis saloon has more headroom in the back than the hatchback version - yep, bizarre as I noticed it even though I'm only 5' 6".

It seems to be good car fast, better control , sunroof

but i do not know about the fuel

Is worth it to buy !

I had once Mazda 2.0 engine each day i needed to go to the gas station cost me more than the price of the car

2002 Avensis is the better engine. I had the lean burn version in a '98 model and if I drove it carefully I got 44mpg. The 2002 model is the vvti so may not return as good consumption.

Stay well away from the 1.6vvti Corolla engine (and the 1.4) as they cnsume oil like it is going out of fashion. Toyota had a problem and many were changed under warranty if they began burning oil after 30K miles. If you went outside warranty and it had been serviced solely by them they might consider changing it but you had to argue the toss. We just sent a 2001 1.6vvti to the scrappie as at 75K miles it was burning a litre of oil every 500 miles and wouldn't pass it's next MoT.

The avensis saloon has more headroom in the back than the hatchback version - yep, bizarre as I noticed it even though I'm only 5' 6".

I'd agree about the 2002 with the vvti engine having the better engine, have had a lean burn 1.8 and now a 1.8 vvti. I know the thread is about the 2.0 but the comparison is relevant l think.

Oddly,in my experience the vvti gives more to the gallon from.avg 36 in the 7afe to 39 in my current 1ZZ-FE which is surprising because it has a noticeably better power delivery throughout the rev range meaning I tend to use that power more because it responds to it where as the lean burn didn't so I cruised a lot more in it.

The 1.6 vvti and the 1.8 are very similar and I've noticed the 2.0 vvti is different in quite a few respects. In other words the legendary oil issue that you talk of about the 1.6 you can apply to the 1.8 as it's every bit as potentially prone to it but I've rarely heard of the 2.0 having that problem. I maybe wrong but it's certainly not as regularly stated if it is the. case.

Did you buy the Avensis then???

• Like 1

The 2.0 vvti generally didn't suffer the oil burning issue as it is a different design. It also has direct injection which aids power and fuel consumption.

The sunroof of my Avensis restricts headroom at rear for tall passengers. Apart from that the body is more practical and spacious.

"Oddly,in my experience the vvti gives more to the gallon from.avg 36 in the 7afe to 39 in my current 1ZZ-FE which is surprising because it has a noticeably better power delivery throughout the rev range meaning I tend to use that power more because it responds to it where as the lean burn didn't so I cruised a lot more in it."

There's a litle trick for waking up the 2.0 lean burn engine if you want to but I only used it occassionally as it does upset fuel consumption. Assuming you are accelerating quite hard already, momentarily back off the throttle for half a second and then bury it into the carpet....and hang on.

There's none of the engine note changing that you get with the 2.0 vvti - it just becomes more responsive until you decide to resume normal driving at which point the world's most comfortable armchair returns.

That said I now have the 2.0 D4 vvti and that changes cam profile at 3200rpm. I think I prefer the vvti setup.

The 2.0 vvti generally didn't suffer the oil burning issue as it is a different design. It also has direct injection which aids power and fuel consumption

The sunroof of my Avensis restricts headroom at rear for tall passengers. Apart from that the body is more practical and spacious.

Cheers Konrad, I was aware they were different,thw engine codes are a clue for a start lol but I couldn't say for sure whether it suffered the same oil issues or I'd just been so focused on the 1.8s potential problems I'd not paid attention to complaints regarding the 2.0.

The Avensis is spacious and airy enough inside, comfortable and roomy, it's definitely the better option.

My vvti doesnt have a sunroof prob cos it's got aircon although my 1.8GS had both aircon and a sunroof. I'd swap my present. aircon (it's going this weekend anyway lol) for a slide n tilt sunroof anyday of the week lol

The 2.0 vvti generally didn't suffer the oil burning issue as it is a different design. It also has direct injection which aids power and fuel consumption

Cheers Konrad, I was aware they were different,thw engine codes are a clue for a start lol but I couldn't say for sure whether it suffered the same oil issues or I'd just been so focused on the 1.8s potential problems I'd not paid attention to complaints regarding the 2.0.

The Avensis is spacious and airy enough inside, comfortable and roomy, it's definitely the better option.

My vvti doesnt have a sunroof prob cos it's got aircon although my 1.8GS had both aircon and a sunroof. I'd swap my present. aircon (it's going this weekend anyway lol) for a slide n tilt sunroof anyday of the week lol

We all know the oil burning issue effected the 1.4, 1.6 and 1.8 vvti which share the same design, but some people think the 2.0 is also the same, but it is very different. Barry covered this above. The Corolla is more likely to have the oil burning issue. This is for the benefit of the original poster.

My sunroof works but the slide function is not perfect. It sticks on the one shot slide and needs a helping hand. Tilt function works fine.

The air-con work fine. I use it all year round and it was re-gassed summer 2013.

• Like 1

In all the cars I've had it wasn't until these last 2 toyotas that I've had aircon and it's ok, though mine needs regassing now too lol.

It is useful at times when it's 28 °c or more outsude but we're lucky to get a weeks worth of hot days up here,I'd prob feel different if I lived in the south lol