Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another Questions From Newbie (Verso)

Will-I-Am2015

I asked before regarding the diesel and petrol should I pick and decide go for petrol now.

what about 1.6 and 1.8 engines?

the are on the same road tax bracket and similar mpg on the paper (3-5 mpg difference) so 1.8 make more sense?

I know that 1.8 engine come with auto only.

what is the auto gearbox like? any common issue with it as might go for auto as my misses use the car a lot.

many thanks

were you on about auris hybrid? I have 1.8 auto. It is zero road tax and variable gearbox, very smooth but in my opinion the 1.8 petrol doesn`t go like one, floor it and it just revs till the car catches up with you.

Great locally, not so good on motorways, its fine if you don`t want to go really fast!

It is a query on the Verso

were you on about auris hybrid? I have 1.8 auto. It is zero road tax and variable gearbox, very smooth but in my opinion the 1.8 petrol doesn`t go like one, floor it and it just revs till the car catches up with you.

Great locally, not so good on motorways, its fine if you don`t want to go really fast!

That's because it's not Otto cycle; The quasi-atkinson cycle engines they use in the HSDs are very efficient but have poor torque characteristics so they tend to get really revvy under load.

Also, the engine has no direct connection to the wheels, so like a real CVT the revs have absolutely no bearing on the speed the wheels are turning at! (It's one thing I dislike about CVT's; As a manual driver, you tend to associate that sort of free revving with a clutch that's worn down to the rivets and about to catch fire :lol:)

If it's the same cvt auto gearbox that's in the 1.8 valvematic Avensis then it's great to drive. It can be a bit revvy at times but that gives it plenty punch on tap, while still giving good mpg. Normal driving about 38mpg, driving nicely it goes up towards 45mpg.

Yeah I love driving it, when its not smashed! But driven much smaller engines that go quicker from 40-60.

Driving carefully I get 60-63 mpg so will be happy when it gets repaired!

Thanks for all the replies.

I can confirm I have bought a 62 plate 1.8 Petrol Automatic and will be deliver to my house end of the week. by the end of next week i will be drivng the new car now :flowers:

Nice! :D

Let us know how you get on! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Had a good drive this bank holiay weekend.

love the driving and it is very easy to drive. my wife said the same things too.

the only things is need tracking done buy apart from that its looks and drive lovely.

this is my first toyota and it is definate not the last one :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links