Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Highbeams Come On When Putting Low Beams On

sohail-94

I was initially going to fit a HID kit to my corolla t3 but did some research etc and decided to go for the OSRAM nightbreakers so ordered them and decided to fit them.

My headlight socket was melted from before I bought the car but still worked but I gave it a little tug and one of the connectors fell off so I ordered a new socket off eBay (link below) and had it fitted today

but when I added the new bulbs etc the right side which was the socket which fell off does not work and the left side headlight does work but also the highbeams for both sides come on so not sure what the issue is

Done abit of research and people are saying it is a problem with the fuse

Socket Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281637442352_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Many thanks for any help

Sohail

The listing has been removed from eBay, so the link doesn't work.

I'd prove what power was going to which wire first. Take a multimeter or test lamp, put neg lead on an earth somewher or the neg Battery terminal, take the poz lead and see which wires are live when you move the headlight switch to different settings. There should be live at one wire when headlights on but not high beam, and another one should be live when you put high beam on. Not both at once tho.

You say you have fitted new Osram Nightbreakers but to which , low beam, high beam or both ?

Use those bulbs myself , nothing you can get wrong with them, though like any bulb you must get the location notch the right way up otherwise they will not seat correctly , but that does not affect antthinh electrically.

Nothing wrong with that eBay connector, looks a perfectly standard part.

If both your beams worked fine before you did anything then you must have connected something wrong.

Or to quote " had it fitted today " does that mean someone else fitted the new connector for you.

Are you certain the new connector was spliced on to the original wires ok ? a photo might help.

It does sound like you have wired things wrong, though think your headlights are like my 2006 model with two separate hatches for lo and high beam bulbs so think it would be hard to mix up those wires.

A fuse will not give such an error.

Any other 'work' done on the car , eg anything around the steering column or other wiring modifications / repairs ?

If you cannot visually 'see' any obivous mistake then you will have to follow Allans good advice to find the fault.

Yh high beams have not been touched so is it possible the wiring has been done in the opposite instead because i know the mechanic connected black to black and yellow to red

Just had a look at my headlight low beam socket and from within the access hatch you can see a lot of the other wires as well as the two that go to the bulb.

From the wiring diagram, for your rh lo beam to now not to come on , but the both hi beams come on instead , then it would seem they have somehow connected the low beam feed to the hi beam wires, not the original lo beam, or they have made a really bad short circuit some how.

Solution - take it back and get them to correct it - Free Of Charge !

• Like 1

Hello all just to say the problem has been sorted it was the left fuse which had blown so changed it now its back to normal with all lights working

Thanks for all the replies