Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fixed Abs Module Failure On 1998 Avensis

Konrad C

Today the ABS module failed.

I did the jumper wire in the diagnostic socket trick and the ABS indicator just stayed on. Normally it should flash.

After a check with info I got from the forum, a constant ABS light confirmed the module was dead.

I went to the local breakers yard and got a module off a 1999 Avensis. £10!

post-76861-0-94888800-1429562663_thumb.jpost-76861-0-38458700-1429562699_thumb.jpost-76861-0-19107600-1429562809_thumb.j

First disconnect the main cable by pulling lever to release the plug. Also unplug the wire to the ABS motor at the bottom of the module.

The module is held by six T20 torx screws. It is easier to remove the air filter unit for more space.

Replace with salvage unit.

Turned of the car and the no more ABS light. It goes out after the initial check.

Job done!

• Like 1

good work, I wish parts where that cheap on the mk2.

Friendly breakers yard down here in Erith. That car only just came in and I spotted it Saturday, when helping my brother repair his cars. Great timing!

Toyota's don't stay long in the yards in this area because there are some people who export them. I have never seen a mk2 only mk1.

The fault happened when I reversed.

• Like 1

Here is the list of codes for Toyota ABS self diagnostics.

http://www.testroete.com/car/Toyota/mr2%20spyder/References/Technical%20Training/05%20-%20Brake%20Systems/20.pdf

It is for the older Toyota's but the codes are relevant to my Avensis and may be up to cars with OBD2.

There are now later scanners that can find ABS faults.

I didn't have to cancel the fault code as the ECU had failed. I did the diagnostic check with the replacement ABS ECU and all clear.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links