Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Handbrake Problem

Mike The Bike

Hi, I have fitted new rear brake pads on my 2002 avensis and now the handbrake is pulling right up. Any ideas why. Thanks Mike.

Morning Mike, my first thought would be has one of the cables slipped out of the mechanism

Del

Thanks, I will have a look after work.

Changing the pads shouldn't affect the handbrake at all. Did you remove the disc at any point? (assuming that the set up on your vehicle uses shoes for the handbrake).

No it doesn't have separate shoes for the handbrake.

The caliper on your model must therefore have a lever operated handbrake which isn't the best mechanism Toyota have designed.

You must therefore have used the wind-back procedure to retract the pistons. With these type the efficiency of the handbrake is reliant on the upper and lower sliders being property lubricated with lithium grease.

Also the pins on the inboard pad must coincide with the notch on the piston.

Once the above are correct the foot pedal must be repeatedly pumped hard to fully pushthe pads out and onto the disc. Only then should the handbrake be activated.

If after this there's still too much free-play on the lever you should think about adjusting the cable tensioner.

Ye they are wind back pistons. I will take it apart again and grease the sliders and check the pins line up. I will report back once I have done it. Thanks.

Hi Mike.

Have you used the car at all since fitting the pads? I am asking as in theory the pads should meet up to the disc and at the same time adjust up the handbrake. On the assumption you have or at least pumped the pedal a few times to do the same job try unadjusting the handbrake cable (Or two) and keep pumping the pedal thus allowing the handbrake mechanism to adjust up, and when the pedal has gone rock hard and now we can assume the handbrake has adjusted in the calipers then re-adjust the handbrake cable(s).

Regards Mike.

I greased the sliders and checked the pins were lined up (they were) and the handbrake was still rubbish, so i have adjusted the cable. Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

These are self adjusting.. at the rear end.

and brake is done via the caliper, you need to bed the pads in before you start to mess about with the handbrake..

doing the above eg will just stretch the cables or cause drag on the pads and discs.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links