Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Knocking Noise & Loss Of Power Uphill

am014s4545

hI,

Have recently purchased a Toyota Avensis 2.0 T3-X D4-D on a 04 Reg. Have took it on the motorway for the first time today. There appear to be two issues with it, they are:-

(1) Intermittent Knocking noise when driving at 60MPH or above

I have had four wheel tracking and all four wheels balanced prior to driving on motorway.

This fault does not appear when driving locally upto 50mph, seems to be only when driving at speeds of 60mph or above.

I have also come across a steering shaft recall on Toyota avensis but local dealership think that this particular vehicle is not affected by this recall but seems to very similar to what the recall is suggesting ie 'issue with a component in the steering system - prompting a knocking or rattling'

(2) Power issues when driving uphill, very sluggish

I know that a replacement turbo has been fitted to the vehicle in the last 3 months and that the clutch has been replaced also. What could the cause of reduction in power be due to when going uphill?

Has anybody on this foum come across these issues on a Toyota avensis before. Hope to hear from you soon with regards to these issues.

Knocking could be from anywhere, can you narrow it down a bit more? is it coming from a certain area?

Going slowly up hill, check all vac pipes(see in link below for diagrams) if they are ok I would suggest cleaning EGR valve.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/167175-help-with-power-loss-issue-please-guys/

The knocking seems to be coming from the front passenger side wheel or around that area, the judder can be felt in the steering wheel too.

Thanks for the advice on loss of power uphill avensisd4d786, will get egr valve cleaned and will get vac pipes checked too.

Knocking at high speed can be from the tyres itself. My best man had exactly this type of knocking reaching 60 miles. He check the wheels, the alignment, bushes, steering rack nothing. After that he swapped the front and back wheels and the knocking disappeared. After that he bought 2 new tyres, putted them in front and still there is no knocking.

Wheel may need re-balancing, as the issue happens at speed. Have the wheel and tyre checked for damage etc. Also check the wheel nuts just in case, but that should not be a factor.

As mentioned before, swap a wheel to be sure.

The drive shaft could be the issue and any component on the hub/axle could have play. Check the hub nut security.

Does your car have traction control? The system could be kicking in if - the tyre is a different size or the ABS wheel sensor is loose (highly unlikely).

Basically check everything and record your results.

Hopefully you will find it is something simple.

spoke to my local mechanic he thinks that the juddering noise driving on motorway at 60mph may be a knackered driveshaft, does this seem possible?

Will hopefully get egr valve cleaned out and the noise checked out as soon as mechanic is free.

Thanks for all your comments so far, keep them coming. This forum definitely is a benefit to use new Toyota drivers.

Loose under tray under bumper caused me to think there was something wrong with steer rack, surprising how much judder through front of car at speed

• Like 1

update after visit to garage:

the juddering nose was a broken driveshaft bearing which is now fixed.

Had the egr valve cleaned which was very dirty. Mechanic also changed booster pressure sensor for another second hand booster pressure sensor but car is still struggling when going uphill. I also noticed that sometimes when driving uphill there is like a misfiring type of motion as though the pressure is going up and down.

Am back to the drawing board with regards to losing power when driving uphill, anybody out there have any further suggestions to what may be causing loss of power going uphill.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links