Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dpf Or Turbo Noise

john11k

Hello,

I have a 2007 2.0ltr rc d4d strata, ( that what the log book says ! ) a few weeks ago, a whistling noise came into it, sounds like an ambulance or police car coming in the distance when you revving through the gears, ! I have no loss of power and no smoke , just the normal when revved hard through the gears, which was always there, the car always had that dump valve sound from the time I bought it, I think a lot of Avensis have this, people have said that it is not the turbo, and it might be the DPF valve , but then I was told that avensis did not have dpf until after 09, ?? The car is running fine, it is a taxi, so I do a lot of mixed driving motorway and short runs, I would say evenly mixed, and im not a slow driver, ! the car has 390k kilometers on the clock, and is regularly serviced, as in around every 7k,

Any Ideas, ??? :driving:

• Like 1

Most UK Avensis T25s did not have a DPF but there were a few 2.0 D-CATs. Irish specification may have been different.

Afaik DPFs do not have a valve & don't make a sound.

Have you checked all your air hoses for a split etc.?

Hi,

I have the same avensis only it is bought in Germany. It was 2 ways for avensis T25's either DPF or catalytic converter, but as far as i know non of them have valves. If you are talking about EGR (exhaust gas recirculation), then yes it does have valve, but i can not imagine how it could make a sound, simpe check is to disconect the plug from it and see if the sound persists. If so, then neither EGR nor DPF are at fault here, which i would guess even now. If you checked all the hoses ( you can do that with engine off and with smoke machene or use cigarete instead and blow smoke in certain pipes, checking for any leaks) and if you ckecked underside pipes too, then the only thin is turbo. Most probably sliding bearings are either slightly damaged due to oil starvation, oil overheat or no cool-off time before shutting engine off, or they are on they way out. There is many turbo failing videos on youtube to check if you have something similar, if it isn't as bad as in most of them, then might be loss of air because of hole in pipes.

Thank you everybody, will get a chance over the weekend to do some of the reply's here, ( depending on weather ! ) but I do promise to get back here and let ye know if anything helps,

A foot note, when it happened first, it did actually sound like it was taking in air somewhere, it was my first thought when I first heard it, but I have checked all the hoses , to the best of my knowledge and have found nothing,,,, but will go through them all again at weekend,,, as I will the air box hose,,

again, thank you all,,,,

• Like 1