Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newbie With A Problem!

Terry M

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and to Toyota's.

I've just bought a Toyota RAV4 2.0 VVT-i VX 5dr automatic, paid cash for it, and the dealer said they would valet it, including a steam clean for the engine bay, and so far it hasn't left them, after two days!

It seems that during/after the steam clean, the engine management light came on, and reported as a Lambda sensor problem, and it now seems that I won't get the car till Monday evening, and they are most apologetic, and footing all bills, so no problem in that respect.

My concern is this, are these sensors so sensitive that a steam clean will 'upset' them into reporting a fault.

The ironic part is that I decided on a Toyota because everyone said how reliable they are!

Regards

Terry

Hello Terry - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

A steam clean if not carefully done can affect the electronics, etc on any car - not necessarily just Toyotas.

A car cleaning/valeting business by where we live includes steam cleaning in their menu - done at owner's risk.

Sorry to say this but it sounds like he's talking cods wallop! Lambda sensor has nothing to do with the steam clean, although if water gets into it it may mess something up, very unlikely. The lambda sensor light comes on when it needs changing, which it being a 2002 model would happen, due to its age. EML does not come on because of steam clean.

• Like 1

Hi Both,

And thanks for the replies.

More likely I'm the one talking cods wallop! I'm totally new to this kind of car.

My last car was 20 years old, and I'm 69, so this is a bit of a culture shock for me.

I wrongly assumed that there was a connection, being a "Newbie", in more ways than one, perhaps I should have entitled it "Are sensors an ongoing problem or concern". All the dealer has said is "The engine management is reporting a Lambda fault", and that they will fix it. They are also fitting a new Battery as well.

My question was really one of "Can I expect more of these warnings", Being a disabled driver, it's best to be forearmed.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links