Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Grinding When Changing Into 3Rd Gear

iqowner99

Hi

I've got a 2009 reg IQ. Its done 28500 miles. It is a basic IQ 1 manual with the 1L engine.

Recently I have noticed that about 20% of the time I get a grinding sound when changing into 3rd gear. It normally happens going 2nd to 3rd rather than 4th to 3rd. It isn't difficult to get in gear just hear a light grinding noise.

There don't seem to be any other symptoms. The clutch pedal seems to engage ok and has smooth operation and bites ok. Oh perhaps once or twice when stationary after I've left it a day I've had a grind changing into reverse.

Any idea what this could be?

I've heard that early IQs had a dodgy clutch. How do I find out when my IQ was built as the VIN doesnt appear to have a year on it.

Or could it be a problem with the gearbox? Perhaps the synchro has gone?

Help appreciated.

Rgds

Early IQ's (like the Aygo) had a smaller 180mm clutch - which was replaced in production with a 190mm clutch from January 2009.

Early IQ's (like the Aygo) had a smaller 180mm clutch - which was replaced in production with a 190mm clutch from January 2009.

How do I find out which version of the clutch that I have? The build number of my IQ is 42988. Presumably there must be a cut off? And if it is the clutch why does it only affect 3rd gear?

Have a look at the following: http://blog.toyota.co.uk/finding-your-toyota-vin-vehicle-identification-number

Don't think you will be able to pin down the exact month the car was built in, only where in the production sequence it came in that year's production.

May be worthwhile contacting your local Toyota dealer who, given the VIN, may be able to confirm approx when the car was built, whether the car was affected by the clutch issue, and whether the car had a replacement clutch under the Toyota Service Bulletin that related to the clutch issue.

...and whether the car had a replacement clutch under the Toyota Service Bulletin that related to the clutch issue.

Which is why it's a great idea to get a car serviced at a main dealer, even if you only do it every other service.

Have a look at the following: http://blog.toyota.co.uk/finding-your-toyota-vin-vehicle-identification-number

Don't think you will be able to pin down the exact month the car was built in, only where in the production sequence it came in that year's production.

May be worthwhile contacting your local Toyota dealer who, given the VIN, may be able to confirm approx when the car was built, whether the car was affected by the clutch issue, and whether the car had a replacement clutch under the Toyota Service Bulletin that related to the clutch issue.

Car has full main dealer service history. The fixed price servicing is actually quite reasonable. Am pretty sure that the clutch hasn't been replaced. Will contact Toyota to find out. VIN doesn't include year of manufacture.

My concern with the fault is that they start replacing stuff and then it turns out to be something different. Happened to me before, albeit with a different make and different issue.

The 10th digit of the VIN number represents a code for the year of manufacture - for 2008 it is 8, and for 2009 it is 9.

The 10th digit of the VIN number represents a code for the year of manufacture - for 2008 it is 8, and for 2009 it is 9.

Unfortunately on my VIN there is a symbol there rather than a letter or number....

So what symbol is it? What is showing on your V5C?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar problem. For me, the cause is bumping exhaust pipe for steering sticks.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links