Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speedometer Dial Not Working

abruzzorav

Hi

The Speedometer dial has stopped working on my 1999 RAV4 Automatic. The overdrive light on the dashboard also flashes and when I start up and drive off the change from 1st to 2nd gear on the automatic transmission is always late (revs higher than it needs to). I don't know if these circumstances are all linked. Grateful for any advice. Thanks, Duncan

What model of Rav4 is it a late MK1 or early MK2?

Hi, It's a mark 1. It's also a Japanese Import, RHD, if that makes any difference.

Thanks

D

Your car has an electronic speedo sensor on the gearbox this feeds the speed to the dash Speedo as well as to the engine/transmission ECU this would be my first point to check

• Like 1

Thanks...sounds like a garage job then. Cheers

Does anyone know the best place to buy an electronic speedo sensor, connected to the gearbox, it feeds the speed to the dash Speedo as well as to the engine/transmission ECU

My vehicle is a 1999 TOYOTA RAV4 5 door automatic, Japanese import, built for European market, engine VRN: SXA11R-AWPGKW,

Thanks

Extra thought....being an import it could of had an electronic gizmo attached to the speedo wiring to convert from kph to Mph, could be that playing up :(

• Like 1

Hi Conrad

Thanks for the idea. I dont think that is likely as the speedometer gauge is only in MPH.

Hi Conrad

Thanks for the idea. I dont think that is likely as the speedometer gauge is only in MPH.

In Japan their speedo's are in KPH so your vehicle will have been converted to meet UK import regulations .
  • Like 1

I'm only the second owner. previous keeper ordered it new from japan as a UK import (god knows what was wrong with the ones for sale over here!) Any ideas where I can order the part im after? cheers

I'm only the second owner. previous keeper ordered it new from japan as a UK import (god knows what was wrong with the ones for sale over here!) Any ideas where I can order the part im after? cheers

I see...give your local Toyota dealer the chassis number and they will know if it's UK spec, then go from there with possible parts.

• Like 1

Hi

Check for water ingress at the drivers footwell, right handside behind the plastic trim before looking at speedo replacement. .Try toyo.com for checking for speedo parts for a jap import.

Jas