Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Map Of Europe

@colin__walker

I find the speed at which the map companies update the base maps with changes varies a lot. There is added delay getting the base map data to the satnav company (like Garmin, TomTom) who can then hold the update until the next scheduled release date.

I used to submit changes to Navteq via their website but they would take at least a year to be accepted. :(

I am currently using an open source navigation package which uses openstreetmap data and frequent updates (monthly at worst). Not only do new roads, speed limits, etc arrive on the satnav after a few weeks, I can also submit new roads etc. to openstreetmap.

We have just had some new houses built locally with a new road. It is already showing on my satnav.

Alan

Interesting - thank you for that. Are you able to use openstreetmap in the onboard Toyota Sat Nav? Currently my alternative is 'Here' both on my Android phone and tablet which works very well, speed warnings, voice directions etc.

I am currently using an open source navigation package which uses openstreetmap data and frequent updates (monthly at worst).

I'm curious? More detail please?

Are you able to use openstreetmap in the onboard Toyota Sat Nav?

Unlikely.

For those interested...

https://www.openstreetmap.org/about

There are a number of openstreetmap based satnav projects.

Search for openstreetmap satnav.

They are usually mobile/tablet based (so Android, iPhone, or web) and come in online and offline flavours.

There is a great wiki page for the andriod apps

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Android#Android_software_supporting_OpenStreetMap

Does it have traffic data?

This thing that's really won me over to the latest TomTom is the phenomenally accurate traffic data, pulled via it's built in mobile phone data receiver (Europe wide and free for life - of me, the machine, or TomTom as a company - whichever is shorter!).

It always drop it on the magnetic stand even for the 5 mile trip to the next large town - it saves me hours every week just on these trips alone.

Must agree Toyota SAT/NAV leaves a lot to be desired. I was on a 50MPH speed limit road over the week end the sat/Nav showed 60MPH. It would be good if the Toyota Sat/Nav could automatically update instantly to road changes and speed limits. Our Prius Sat/Nav has the latest map data etc but it still wanted to send us up a closed road and failed to re route to the diversion route straight away!!

My sons Tom Tom failed to find the correct entrance to Bletchley Park 2 weeks ago!!

Does it have traffic data?

Openstreetmap doesn't have real time traffic data (it's a map) but some of the satnav packages allow map overlays so you can merge a traffic data feed into the displayed map data. There is also the OpenTraffic project (not sure how far this has got).

http://opentraffic.io/

There is this handy list of traffic data sites.

https://github.com/graphhopper/open-traffic-collection

I was on a 50MPH speed limit road over the week end the sat/Nav showed 60MPH. It would be good if the Toyota Sat/Nav could automatically update instantly to road changes and speed limits.

There is no requirement for the people who implement speed limits or road changes to notify anyone in the satnav data supply chain. So things change, and your satnav is blissfully unaware of the change until somebody tells the map makers, who check it out and update their maps. Then it has to go through various release/upgrade stages to reach your satnav.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just updated my Auris Hybrid to 4.4.1L. No dramas to report. Takes about 20 minutes to load software onto USB stick but update only took 5-10mins. £109 incl VAT.

I'm hoping it stops trying to send me down single track roads when yes, it might be the fastest or shortest route, but its ruddy hairy if you meet something coming the other way (its not faster then). I wish it had an option to keep to A and B roads.

Indeed:

Did 4.4.1L help with the "single track road" "feature" that I also have on my Toyota??

Best regards to all

I'm hoping it stops trying to send me down single track roads, ... it's ruddy hairy if you meet something coming the other way... I wish it had an option to keep to A and B roads.

I have driven down some pretty hairy B roads - they meet the one-track standard.

I think that we still have some single track A-roads in Scotland ...

I've just updated my Auris Hybrid to 4.4.1L. No dramas to report. Takes about 20 minutes to load software onto USB stick but update only took 5-10mins. £109 incl VAT.

I'm hoping it stops trying to send me down single track roads when yes, it might be the fastest or shortest route, but its ruddy hairy if you meet something coming the other way (its not faster then). I wish it had an option to keep to A and B roads.

Indeed:

Did 4.4.1L help with the "single track road" "feature" that I also have on my Toyota??

Best regards to all

Have you noticed any real difference between versions?

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

I have just changed from auris hybrid to Yaris hybrid &, for some reason, Go option was no cost so came with it. SatNav, is I'm afraid, rubbishy compared to my preferred option of Brodit mounted smartphone (iPhone) with choice of TomTom (less than £30, quarterly free updates for life, subscribe to traffic or Apple maps, now pretty good, HERE, free and free traffic, several updates a year). All these actually speak road number / name to turn onto which I can't get Go to do - have to look at screen (unless this is option I can't find in very complicated menus). Will I pay to update maps to latest version next year: no way.

(Brodit mounts are brilliant for non-screw, non-marking dash attachment whether you use satnav unit or smartphone and I've often either changed phone or car & only had to replace relevant bit)

I was on a 50MPH speed limit road over the week end the sat/Nav showed 60MPH. It would be good if the Toyota Sat/Nav could automatically update instantly to road changes and speed limits.

There is no requirement for the people who implement speed limits or road changes to notify anyone in the satnav data supply chain. So things change, and your satnav is blissfully unaware of the change until somebody tells the map makers, who check it out and update their maps. Then it has to go through various release/upgrade stages to reach your satnav.

TomTom have a "Mapshare" facility whereby user reports of map changes can be downloaded to your sat-nav daily:

"Map Share technology allows you to make changes to the map on your navigation device or to report map changes online, depending on the model of navigation device. These changes instantly improve your routing and they can also be shared with the Map Share community of 21 million people.

The FREE Daily Map Changes that you receive from the Map Share community include the more dynamic and frequent road changes such as:

• Changed speed limits
  • New street names
  • Blocked roads
  • New traffic directions
  • Altered turn restrictions

You benefit from the local knowledge of the unique TomTom Map Share community who spot and report these changes, helping to get you to your destination without unwanted surprises.

New changes become available every day and you simply need to connect your navigation device to your computer as often as you like to give your map a boost."