Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla 1.8 Vvtl-I T Sport (2003)

stuthejag

Just bought a 2003 Corolla 1.8 VVTL-iT Sport and while driving home I noticed the followng warning lights are on, can anybody help ?

IMG_20150504_171608.jpg

Why didn't you take it straight back???

Unplugging the Battery for 5 minutes may clear it if you're really lucky otherwise it could possibly cost you £££ to fix.

Take it back!

B)

• Like 1

Thanks I took your advice and disconnected the Battery, all fine now (so far). Is this a common problem ?

I've seen it a few times on various cars, if there is an inherent problem though they will come back on.

My fingers are crossed for you....

B)

DOes the car have an aftermarket intake on it? If the car gets odd readings from the MAF sensor because the inlet isn't tuned the way the car expects it, then it can throw these warning lights. Could also be an intake leak, or possibly a failing secondary air pump (which just pumps some air into your exahuse manifold to clean up emissions, and isn't necessary for the proper running of the car at all).

If it was a purchase from a dealer, I'd be inclined to take it back and ask them to investigate, particularly if the lights come on again and the car is standard.

IF it was a private sale, then you're out of luck.

It might be worth investing in a cheap eBay OBDII port reader (you can get bluetooth ones for about a tenner) and the 'Torque' App on Android if you have an android device. It can read and clear fault codes for diagnositcs and is great for hunting down issues like this.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks JoeCool I took your advice and got a cheap eBay OBDII port reader, connected it up this morning and it reports no faults, current, in history or pending.

If the light does come back on then plug in your OBDII reader and using the Torque app read what the fault codes are. I have another Toyota which keeps putting on the engine light to show that the Cat is not working at it's best efficiency. I just clear the errors and light goes out but if it is a serious fault you can at least go to the garage with a reasonable idea as to what is wrong rather than them just replacing bits hoping that the error code goes away. I have replaced the O2 sensors as well but fault still there.

On a side note don't leave the OBDII reader plugged in as it slowly but surely drains your Battery and hence when you come back from holiday after two weeks and try and start your car it's dead. And a very big thank you to the two policemen who push my car so I could bump start it!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Does anyone know how to remove the intake manifold. I've tried and failed miserably. Feels like somethings still holding it down although I've removed all bolts on the manifold.

Regards

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links