Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil In Coolant :(

MJJ

So for the last few weeks I've been getting oil in the coolant overflow bottle on my carina 1.8 7a-fe :(

There is no sign of coolant getting into the oil , and the car is still driving normal.

However I'm aware this is most likely the head gasket gone, or a crack in the head. I guess I was just wondering if anyone had had the same issue and it could possibly be something else?

If not and it is a head gasket job can anyone advise what am I looking at cost wise for the head gasket to be replaced ? The car has only 67000 miles on it, is in great condition otherwise and I was prepared to pay around 200 to get the water pump and timing belt replaced as its on it's original ones and the tensioner is starting to scream/whine a bit. So I'd be prepared to spend more on it but how much am I looking at ?

Any help/ advice is much appreciated

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

I have never seen what oil in the coolant looks like. I have noticed my coolant looking lighter than normal. The level is okay so far.

post-76861-0-57069700-1431170684_thumb.jpost-76861-0-22959900-1431170702_thumb.j

My coolant is premixed green.

A photo of yours could show me what to look for.

My Avensis has done 145,000 miles on the 7A-FE engine.

It is hard to make the judgement call to repair the car or buy a new vehicle?

What engine and what year is your car? Did you check down the sides of the engine block to see if there are any streams of liquid, if there are try and determine if its water or oil or both. Have you also taken the oil cap off and looked in to see if there is just oil and not the dreaded brown mayonaise substance.

I had a blown head gasket years ago on a carina 2 but it badly overheated a few times, did anything like thi happen?

Thanks for the replies

It's a 1996 carina e GS with the 1.8 7a-fe engine.

There aren't any external oil or coolant leaks at all, everything looks good. There's no mayonnaise under the filler cap.

It doesn't drive like anything is wrong,

I only noticed the oil level had dropped and the coolant had gone a brown colour (instead of blue) at the same time.

I emptied the overflow tank and filled it back up with water but it's going oily again.

It must be the gasket or the heads warped , I've only had the car 4 months ish and it did have a new radiator fitted so now I'm thinking at some point the old radiator failed and maybe the car overheated and that's caused the gasket to go or the head to warp or crack . They've prob changed the radiator and thought everything was ok.

I'll just keep any eye on it for now see if it gets any worse ....

A few more questions.

So before touching the gasket a "sniff" test of the coolant will confirm if the major work needs doing.

When the coolant in the expansion bottle changed colour, was it similar to the pictures I provided earlier? Notice the yellow tinge toward the bottom of the expansion tank.

Or has all the coolant changed colour completely throughout or is changing from top to bottom, visa versa?

Is the colour similar or darker?

What brand of coolant are you using, and is it ready mixed or diluted with water?

This may be of comfort but car is old and may have not had regular coolant and oil changes during it's life. May be a good flush may get rid of any impurities out of the cooling system.

The timing belt and tensioner change is a good call. The water pump is easier to access during the work - it can be changed independent of the timing belt.

The Gates PowerGrip kit K015386XS is what was installed on my car - Avensis 1998 1.8 7A-FE. Your car uses the same kit.

Please give the answer regarding the coolant condition.

post-53924-143152419455_thumb.jpg

That's the coolant decanted from the overflow tank into a plastic jug.

It's greeny blue coolant with brown colour running throughout , it's got an oily slick on the surface.

The more you thin out the coolant the more normal it looks see next pic

post-53924-143152433102_thumb.jpg

I've replaced what was in overflow tank with clear universal pre mixed top up coolant. But give it a couple of hundred miles and it looks like it does in the jug

Same as my own so the core of my rad literly dissapeared due to rust by 15th year even though it never came near to overheating at any stage, the 1.8 has a much larger radiator and an oil coller unlike the 1.6 which ran hotter. I would say like youve suspected the head gasket is deteriorated from age and is seeping oil into the collant, would it be a good idea to try one of those 'rad weld' products that you pour into the coolant and see if the problem goes away temporaily at least?

Yeah I thought about that but my understanding of those rad weld type head gasket sealers is that they only work when coolant is getting into the oil and not when the oil is getting into the coolant. ?? Might be wrong but that's what I've read

Prob not wise to clog it up if I'm gonna get the work on the head done ??

I dont think those products are that precise to be honest! but your right not to use it if your definatly holding onto the car bit like those cannisters to fix a puncture the tyre mechanics hate when you uyse them and some charge extra to clean it up :-<