Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota And Mazda To Share Technology

FROSTYBALLS

Saw the news on the Toyota Facebook link.

The Mazda SKYACTIV engine 1.5 would be good for the Auris. This engine may come with 5 speed, but the top gear ratio is longer than the Auris with 6 speed. My friend has the Mazda 2 2015 with the 1.5 SKYACTIV petrol engine. It is well specced, but I hate the permanent screen in the dashboard, which looks like an after thought.

Of course Toyota's Hybrid technology would be welcomed by Mazda.

At least both are staying away from the small turbo engines.

The Mazda 6/Avensis class need to reintroduce a hatchback. I know they have the tourer.

Does this mean Mazda leaving Ford?

Who will gain more from this new alliance?

Ford only had a 33% controlling interest in Mazda up to around 2010, when Ford reduced their shareholding to 3%. Since 2010, Ford and Mazda have continued some partnership working.

Toyota aren't staying away from small capacity turbo engines - as they will be launching a new 1.2 turbo engine in the forthcoming Auris facelift this summer - http://blog.toyota.co.uk/new-toyota-1-2t-engine.

Mazda have already accessed the Prius drivetrain in the 3 Hybrid, and the new Yaris scheduled for the US later this year is said to be based on the new Mazda 2 and built in Mexico alongside the Mazda 2.

Toyota have never been good at making small, cheaply made, mass produced cars. Hence their co operation with many companies, including PSA to make the Aygo models. This collaboration with Mazda will be another string in the bow to introduce new small models into merging markets

Makes me wonder whether Toyota will buy a shareholding in Mazda - like they did with Subaru (16.5% shareholding owned by Toyota) who they developed the GT86/BRZ with and who build the GT86 for Toyota.