Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Please In Decision To Buy

Bob Sutton

Hello Everyone,

My last post on this Forum was 20th August 2009 when I was asking for help in making a decision to buy a 2007 D-4-D Yaris, for my wife to drive. We went ahead an purchased the car from our local Toyota dealer. It has been as good as the respondents to my post back then, said it would be. It has been a brilliant car and the Forum's advice was absolutely correct.

So, I am back again, asking for your help, as my old Micra is on the way out and I am thinking of replacing it, also with a Yaris. There is a 2008 SR D-4-D (MMT) for sale at the same local dealer with 36000 miles on it, however it has the Multi Mode Transmission and I am rather wary. I have never driven an automatic except for hire cars on holiday. My concerns are primarily fuel economy, potential repair costs etc.

Any comments or views would be welcome.

Kind regards,

Bob Sutton.

Hello Bob - welcome back .....

The Multi Mode Transmission isn't a true automatic - being a manual gearbox with an automated clutch. MMT's can be more problematical than manuals or 'proper' automatics, with clutches and actuators causing issues, and they can be expensive to repair.

Toyota weren't alone in trying this type of transmission - Vauxhall, Fiat and Mazda have had similar systems, and they can all be expensive to repair.

Think I would only be inclined to have an older MMT equipped car with a Toyota extended warranty (rather than a 3rd party warranty) to support it in case of issues - currently most Toyota dealers have a '2 years for the price of 1' offer on the Toyota extended warranty, but servicing would then have to be carried out within the Toyota dealer network.

Hi Bob.

I respect all that Mike, above, says and it's all down to the individual purchaser.

Personally i wouldn't go near a car with a MMT gearbox as they seem to be unreliable and very costly to repair, just my personal opinion and i dare say others will say the opposite but you asked for advise and this is how i feel about them.

Regards Mike.

I would never ever buy a MMT... Toyota stopped making them or a reason... after a few years , things went wrong.. AND they cost a fortune to repair.. AND most non Toyota garages have no idea AND a few Toyota garages are the same.

POC.

Fuel economy with a MMT will be the same as a Yaris with a manual box, and thats because MMT is a manual box with auto clutch as stated in post #2.

Your main concern will be maintenance costs of the MMT box. I have no direct experience, but from what I have read MMT maintenance costs could be astronomic, so beware.

We have an 11 plate Auris with MMT and although I suppose it works...it's not a nice auto to drive.

I would never ever buy a MMT... Toyota stopped making them or a reason...

Toyota have continued with a development of the MMT in the new Aygo, and a current TOC member in, I think, Cyprus, has a current shape Auris 1.4D4D with MMT.

I've had dualogic Fiat's, same as Toyota MMT. Great drive in my Bravo, but £1300 for a new clutch, slave and master cylinder hurt. £713 for the master cylinder alone.

We've still got a Panda dualogic, and the gearboxes are easy enough and simple to work on on those, as I bought it as a CAT-D write off and had to repair accident damage to the gearbox.

The more complex systems can be a nightmare though.

Hello Everyone,

I would like to thank all those who have taken the time and trouble to help me with my decision.

In light of the views expressed I have ticked that one off my wish list. So my quest continues to find right diesel Yaris for my needs but with a manual gearbox.

Thanks again to for all your input. It has been extremely valuable to me.

Kind regards,

Bob Sutton.

• Like 1

When you find another, please post any queries .........

Hi

I agree with the above .. steer clear from that type of gearbox.. manual is far better..

Good luck with your search