Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lazy Auto Box

Chandelierman

Hello peeps......I have a 2009 auto IQ with 54k on the clock.....the gearbox feels very lazy? ....ie:....not much movement when pulling away....S mode seems a bit better but that could be me wishful thinking....it is my daughters car but she hasn't passed her test so I am using it.....we had a 57 plate Aygo before this which was also an Auto and from memory it had a bit more acceleration.......it has only had 1 previous owner and has full history....thanks in advance

Hello Alan - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Two different types of gearboxes - the Aygo would have been a Multi Mode Transmission, which is a manual gearbox with an automated clutch so not a true automatic, and the IQ is a Continously Variable Transmission, which is a true automatic.

Hello Alan - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Two different types of gearboxes - the Aygo would have been a Multi Mode Transmission, which is a manual gearbox with an automated clutch so not a true automatic, and the IQ is a Continously Variable Transmission, which is a true automatic.

Thanks for the quick reply......so it's normal to be gutless then lol It is ok once it gets going ......I am just using it as a runaround and for my 2.6mile journey to work.....my daughter is having driving lessons in a manual but I got the auto for her as it's easier to drive if/when she eventually passes her test

The point was that the comparison was flawed.

Hi.

If you were a bit closer, I'd challenge you to a drag race! I have an IQ2, 60 plate with the CVT auto box. It's much nicer to drive than the Aygo I also test drove. As to acceleration off the line you're right, there is a momentary pause while the CVT system gets itself sorted and the engine revs rise, but thereafter acceleration is brisk enough. So it does soud as if your daughter's car may have a problem of some sort.

Hi.

If you were a bit closer, i'd challenge you to a drag race! I have an IQ2, 60 plate with the CVT auto box. It's much nicer to drive than the Aygo I also test drove. As to acceleration off the line you're right, there is a momentary pause while the CVT system gets itself sorted and the engine revs rise, but thereafter acceleration is briisk enough. So it does soud as if your daughter's car may have a problem of some sort.

Maybe I might go and have a test drive of another one and compare .....I've done about 800 miles in it since getting it last month....it drives ok but i wouldn't want to pull out in front of a fast moving vehicle ....I can get a low mileage gearbox cheap enough if need be

Just wonder, as it is an early IQ, whether it may have an EGR issue - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/147454-egr-problem/

Can this problem be detected by plugging it into a scanner and getting a fault code?........it's not got to the point of stalling or cutting out......I can only describe it like a similar problem I had with my Range Rover where it used to go into limp mode and it felt like it was pulling away in 2nd or 3rd gear on the auto box but once on the run it was perfect

I'm with Frosty on this. I have a 59 plate which had the older Style EGR fitted. Mine is multidrive like yours. And your discription is exactly as mine was. Its actually caused by a blocked hole/duct in the inlet manifold. Its blocked by build up of "soot" caused by the arrangement of the older EGR design enclosure being back to front. Costing charged from Toyota is a wopping £900. There is a bulletin about it. Mine has now been converted to the new version. Having said that, a couple of months ago i felt it happening again so i bought some Redex and used the bottle over 4 tankfulls and the difference was OUTSTANDING!!! It now feels good as new. I can't recommend it enough and certainly worth a try. It may take a few more than just one bottle but at £8. I would give it a try

David

I'm with Frosty on this. I have a 59 plate which had the older Style EGR fitted. Mine is multidrive like yours. And your discription is exactly as mine was. Its actually caused by a blocked hole/duct in the inlet manifold. Its blocked by build up of "soot" caused by the arrangement of the older EGR design enclosure being back to front. Costing charged from Toyota is a wopping £900. There is a bulletin about it. Mine has now been converted to the new version. Having said that, a couple of months ago i felt it happening again so i bought some Redex and used the bottle over 4 tankfulls and the difference was OUTSTANDING!!! It now feels good as new. I can't recommend it enough and certainly worth a try. It may take a few more than just one bottle but at £8. I would give it a try

David

Thanks I will try the redex option with maybe a couple of bottles.....so the EGR valve is the petrol equivalent of a DPF filter on diesels......I've got a 2.2 S-Max and the management light comes on when it's clogged....I've got a code reader that I just plug in and it tells me what's at fault ...DPF light usually means a good thrashing down the motorway until it's all burnt off.....I'm guessing that the IQ has no such warning light? .......all these new things they come up with to save the planet are rubbish.....the DPF can be bypassed,maybe the EGR valve can be blocked off like it is on other cars?

Its because of the way the EGR valve is fitted in the models before 2010 that increases the soot build up especially in this small hole in the inlet manifold. I have the Techstream software for the car., and i can tell you there are no fault codes present when it clogs up.

David

We have the 1.0 cvt and it is gutless. But it's not a performance car, turns on a sixpence and is cheap to tax.

There's no point using the 'S' option as all that seems to do is make more noise but no noticeable gain in acceleration. We do use Shell VPower which whilst not giving any more power, does make the tiny 3 pot engine a little smoother.

Still a fun car and whilst sounding gutless, will still keep up with traffic when merging and does get the official 0-60 speeds - which are still slow. It will sit at 80 mph on the motorway easily though and can overtake with a bit of planning - just mash the accelerator.

You might want to check your cabin filter as these seem to be almost always missed by routine servicing. They're fiddly to reach but only £10 to change. Definitely worth a check.

We have the 1.0 cvt and it is gutless. But it's not a performance car, turns on a sixpence and is cheap to tax.

There's no point using the 'S' option as all that seems to do is make more noise but no noticeable gain in acceleration. We do use Shell VPower which whilst not giving any more power, does make the tiny 3 pot engine a little smoother.

Still a fun car and whilst sounding gutless, will still keep up with traffic when merging and does get the official 0-60 speeds - which are still slow. It will sit at 80 mph on the motorway easily though and can overtake with a bit of planning - just mash the accelerator.

You might want to check your cabin filter as these seem to be almost always missed by routine servicing. They're fiddly to reach but only £10 to change. Definitely worth a check.

I can get it upto 80mph easily enough....I'm probably making it sound worse than it actually is...maybe I was expecting too much from its 69bhp.....it has run spot on in all the time I've been driving it.....I've put some Redex in it today,I will do 2 bottles in 4 tankfulls and see if it's any different......it might take me a while to report back as a full tank lasts me "upto" 3 weeks

The multidrive is a bit strange in that if you come up to a give-way and you still moving even slightly and glancing, if you hit the accelorator it really fly's but if you stop then its quick but not as quick as when slightly moving. Also you should be able to kick down gears most of the time i couldn't when it was sooted up and used that as a test for it now being clean. On a straight road, i can easily kick down at 80mph. Unofficially i know it does 113mph on the straight track. Mine is 998cc as well

David

Anybody tried Terraclean? I've got a garage just a few miles away that does it

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links