Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mk1 2004 Yaris, Whine When Decellerating, Gearbox ?

raffytwed

Hi all,

After some help/advice please...I've got a mk1 2004 Yaris, 1.3 with only 31k on the clock..bought a few months ago with FSH...its running fine and used on a 100 mile motorway round trip daily...sits happily at 70+...only thing is a whine when I take my foot off the accelerator between 60 and 45...its not loud but there in the background...I had the gearbox oil changed a month ago (Motul oil) to help the gear lever get into 2nd (works fine the noo)...just wondering if this wa a common characteristic of Yaris boxes....as long as its nothing to worry about I'm happy to keep the radio on ! cheers in advance

D

No it's not normal.

Erm, ok then....its not doing it all the time...I do drive the same route everyday and I was wondering if it could be todo with the same stretches of dodgy Scottish motorway I drive...plus the alternator belt screetches on startup so wondered if the belt could be a cause at speed...maybe I'm just clutching at straws but find it odd with a car with such low mileage...it'll be due a service next month so will mention it to the garage then...if it doesn't get any worse then I'll leave it

Belt squeal is common, esp. on cold/damp days.

Usually can be fixed by replacing the belt, and occasionally the tensioner.

My gearbox whines sometimes too; It's usually when I'm putting in practically no power and the speed the car is rolling at is very close to the speed the engine is at (i.e. so the engine isn't turning or retarding the wheels).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links