Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poorly Noddy - No Airbags Deployed - Your Thoughts ?

Rob1769

Proper fed up today, was involved in a RTC yesterday and ended up with knee/leg & head injuries and none of the 11 airbags deployed !

Your thoughts ?

post-125386-0-55579000-1431546509_thumb.

Wow.... I mean take pics show Toyota and sue em mate. Go to your local newspaper and get in touch with the media.

The nearside is the worst with the dash & gubbins being forced a good 8'' further back, not much legroom there & in all honesty I don't have a clue where other than the steering wheel the bags are located

post-125386-0-07641900-1431547264_thumb.

It depends where your car was hit as to whether any airbags would deploy.

The front airbag sensors tend to be either side of the radiator - presumably you impacted with the trailer and the area of impact would have been above where the frontal airbag sensors are.

With the side and curtain airbags the sensors tend to be around the door pillar - and again these are not within the impact area.

Its a question that gets asked quite a lot and without inspection of the car no one on this site can comment.

Airbags are designed to inflate as a last resort and their detonation at any other time is the last thing you would want as the detonation of the airbags is violent and quiet often causes injuries including burns, cuts, concusion and impact injuries similar to being beaten, the airbags really are a last resort in cases where the impact is so severe that life threatening/changing injuries are inevitable

There is a world recall from Toyota, Nissan and others because of defects in the airbags. It was something concerning with the factory who made them.

You should go to a Toyota Dealer

Well I glad to see you got out of it without life threatening injures .....a bit faster and you may not have been about to tell the tail !

So sorry to hear about this, but glad you are here to tell the tale. What the hell did you hit?

I can see in the top photo you've hit a blue trailer was that in daylight or nighttime ?

The bumper hardly looks damaged, why is there such an impact to the windscreen area? It looks like what hit you (or you hit) went over the bonnet and onto the screen

Phew that was a lucky one and glad you walked away - that's always a result in an accident.

The car is a goner though, but it did it's job. Airbags only go off in certain impacts as others have mentioned and it looks like yours was a high impact. Also as others have also mentioned, you really really don't want an airbag to go off unless it really has to. It's like being thumped in the face really hard - it hurts, but still better than mashing your face into the steering column like in the old days.

Just hope you've got comprehensive insurance and all goes through smoothly. Glad you're here to tell the tale.

Daytime.. roads wet but not raining it had literally just pi55ed it down 10 min beforehand, wide road and the blue trailer was parked on a diagonal sticking out into the road. Room for 4 cars side by side but was faced with a HGV coming towards me that suddenly veered towards me so it was a split second reaction for me to swerve to the left and literally just clipped the corner of the flatbed on my side of the road so yes could have definitely been a lot worse !

Airbags didn't go off as the crash sensors weren't hit, the sensors are behind the front bumper for the front airbags and the b-pillar for the side airbags.

The impact was to high, not a watch dog issue or Toyota issue and the bumper is pretty high, just unfortunately you hit a high level trailer, if it were a normal trailer or a car, airbags would have gone off.

I work for a accident repair centre as a damage assessor.

Cheers lee