Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange Windscreen Wipers Fault

Smoking gun

Hello,

My 1998 Carina E estate has developed a strange windscreen wiper fault.

When the ignition is on and the engine is not running the wipers operate normally at all settings.

Well the engine is running and the wipers are switched to intermittent or the wash wipe operates, the wipers continue to run, no matter what I do with the switch. The only way to stop the wipers is to turn off the ignition. The wipers stop mid sweep and return to the park position when the ignition is turned on again.

I have checked the Haynes manual and it wasn't that helpful.

Any ideas as the cause and a cure?

Thank you,

Martin

I had a fault on mine when I bought it, all the intermittant modes didnt work but the fastest mode for heavy rain did, turned out to be the leaf switches built into the motor housing were faulty, its in a kind of resin blob after where the wires go into the motor, couldn't fix it so a new motor for 20 quid sorted it that was over 7 years ago and its been fine since hope this helps............

Hi Daz1978,

At the same time I had some noise over the Speakers which indicated alternator problems. I checked the alternator and found it was putting out 20+ volts. I've changed the alternator with a used one from the scrap yard and the wiper fault has disappeared.

Also the Battery has been damaged so I replaced that too.

Thank you and regards,

Martin

• Like 1

Thats a pretty weird one nice catch on the fault shame about the Battery too ouch, never had alternator or starte problems with the carina E but the did plague the carina 2 I had many years ago can you remember if it was a Bosch or denso alternator?

Hi,

It was a Bosch alternator as is the replacement.

Regards,

Martin

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links