Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problem 2Nd Gear On 6 Spd Gearbox On Toyota 2.2D4D Gearbox 2008 Model

Cono18

Has anyone experienced problem selecting 2nd gear when cold? Once the gearbox oil has warmed up no problem. I understand when my Toyota dealer checked it out (had to leave car in overnight for him to check when cold) he replaced the gearbox oil but put a thinner oil in to help matters. When I pressed him on what could be the problem he thought it might be the 2nd gear synchromesh but was loath to get the gearbox out when that may not be the case in view of the cost (circa £1000). I am staggered by this on a car that has only done 43000 miles from new and had Toyota service contracts from new too. In over 50 years of driving have never had a problem with a gearbox. Bought Toyota for their famed build quality and reliability. Very disappointed. What a ......! His advice to me was to keep a watching brief on it. Appreciate any views on this. Many thanks.

• Like 1

It's actually normal for that gearbox (it's used in quite a few cars). As I understand it Toyota crammed 6 gears+reverse into the space that would normally be used for a 5+R.

Hi Scott

Many thanks for your reply. Do you know if this weakens the synchromesh or does the gearbox just carry on as now or will it get progressively worse do you think?

I don't know for sure but I can't remember seeing any reports of actual gearbox failure (& there are people on here with cars with that gearbox who are well past 150,000 miles).

It would be well worth changing the oil, straight 75w in the six speed boxes

Hi Kingo

Many thanks for your reply. I will need to find out what my dealer put in as he changed the oil to a thinner one. Is there a particular brand you would recommend?

Toyota sell it or you can buy any propitiatory brand which will be fine

Hi Cono18!

I have this issue of poor gear change from 1st to 2nd also on my 58 reg Verso. I had the gearbox oil changed at 40K miles (my Verso, has now done 63K). Honestly, I didn't notice any improvement in the gear change after the oil was replaced (I can't remember what oil was put in, sadly). One thing that did improve was the selection of reverse gear. It used to be an effort to get the Verso in to reverse but now, after the oil change, it goes in easy! I also asked Toyota to look at the issue when I took the Verso in for a service. The garage said I needed a new clutch as it was worn... I thought a worn clutch would show other symptoms not just poor gear change! I was a little doubtful that this was actually the cause so didn't have the work carried out. I haven't noticed temperature making much difference to the change from 1st to 2nd, but if I change up under 10mph it usually goes in without crunching!

Please post here if changing the oil makes a difference to your gear change and I'll see about changing mine again! :D

Hi Mark

The problem with mine is selection of 2nd gear from 1st or 3rd, no issue with reverse at all. As stated when it warms up selection is not a problem except on the odd occasion. On this forum other members have experienced similar issues yet when I spoke to Toyota customer relations telling them it appeared to be a known issue they would not accept it. My dealer also changed the gearbox oil FOC but like yours it did not seem to improve matters. I have yesterday had my oil changed to one recommended on this forum, namely Fuchs Titan Race SRG75, the replacement for Silkoline SRG75 Full Ester Synthetic it is supplied by Opie Oils who produce both. At nearly £17 a litre and you will require 2.3 ltrs for the gearbox it certainly is not cheap to replace, probably why Mr T does not use it. After I have tested it for a little while I will certainly report back here.

Please do, Con. :) Hope the new oil improves things!

I had a look through my records and found which oil was put in my gearbox. It was (and still is): Fuchs Titan Sintofluid FE SAE75W

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mark

Having had the Fuchs Titan Race SRG75 in gearbox for a few weeks my findings are:

Day 1 --Very little improvement

Day 2 --A little better

Day 3 onwards --Just the odd time experienced difficulty in selecting 2nd gear.

Recently went on holiday for a week. The car was in secure parking in a reserved space where it remained until my return. Had no problem in selecting 2nd gear at all either from 1st to 2nd or 3 to 2nd, temperature was 13 degrees. It has been a week since my return had no further problem. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Hope this helps.

Was it money well spent for the oil? If it stays has it is now, then yes.

NB I do not have much technical expertise so cannot explain why the difference between Days 1 & 2 with Day 3 onwards. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable on here will come in with an explanation.

Thanks for the reply, Con. Your oil change seems to have improved things to a greater extent than my change did! Maybe I'll change again at the next service! :cheers:

• 3 months later...

Mine goes into 2nd but it's tougher when cold on a downshift. Just needs the driver to be aware that it's going to take an extra second or so to put it in second from third. Doesn't seem to be an issue on an upshift for some reason. Shouldn't be pushing the thing hard when it's cold anyway so it's not really a major issue for me, certainly not one that I'm going to mess about with oil changes over.

Just a comment on the troublesome down shift from 3rd gear into 2nd. Have you tried double-declutching? This is when you press in the clutch and move from 3rd gear into neutral then let the clutch back out. You then press the accelerator momentarily to raise the engine rpm before pressing in the clutch pedal again and selecting 2nd gear. If you get it right and manage to synchronise the engine rpm with the gear selection then you might find the change a lot easier.

I know it's an all-synchro box and double declutching belongs back in the dark ages but it can still help.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links