Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo X-Play Navigation Disappeared

PaddedPuppy

Hi everyone.

I have a 4 day old Aygo X-Play and its been great up until this morning. I decided to download the app to tether my iPhone to the car's multimedia system and see what it was all about. Gave it a try and that seemed to work ok (though it doesn't actually seem very useful, and looks really badly designed!) Anyway I decided I didn't like that so disconnected and just went back to the usual bluetooth pairing.

All was well, until I went to the connect menu, expecting to load Navi like I had done about 10 times prior.

Suddenly the menu to load navigation is totally missing. Instead it just tells me to connect a device and launch the app, where it searches until the phone is connected, or it times out and goes back to the main menu screen. Either way there is no option to bring back navigation.

-I tried deleting all personal data from the multimedia unit.

-I tried doing a reset of the unit (Press and hold the lower knob on the multimedia controls)

-I tried removing the X-Nav MicroSD Card from the slot and leaving it for a while

-I tried downloading a software update from the Toyota website, but when in the maintenance menu the guide tells me to press hidden buttons. This simply doesn't work so I can't get onto the next screen to progress with the update. I tried for about 10-15 minutes with no success.

After none of that worked, I called Toyota who had no idea what the X-Touch multimedia unit even is, so decided to call at a local dealership (Hodgson Toyota) who took it round the back and spent a hour trying various different things to get it to work, or even factory reset. They simply couldn't do anything with it, and suggested that I book it in for a full day but there are no available slots until late June, though they may need even more time than that as they have no idea, and it may result in having to order in and replace the entire computer.

Is there something I am missing thats really simple that will make the hidden buttons work in the service menu so I can software update? Or a way of factory resetting? Or maybe just simply making navigation appear in the menu again?

"Instead it just tells me to connect a device and launch the app"

​I think the answer is here somewhere. The X-Touch is looking for Nav on your phone as default I would guess.

It's not clear if you have tried this , but if unpair or simply turn off bluetooth on your phone - does the X-Nav come back?

Having said that I'm surprised a factory reset didn't sort it out....assuming that's what they did at the dealer and not just some sort of reboot.

​You should be able to tell as ALL data would be erased if a true reset was carried out.

"Instead it just tells me to connect a device and launch the app"

​I think the answer is here somewhere. The X-Touch is looking for Nav on your phone as default I would guess.

It's not clear if you have tried this , but if unpair or simply turn off Bluetooth on your phone - does the X-Nav come back?

Having said that I'm surprised a factory reset didn't sort it out....assuming that's what they did at the dealer and not just some sort of reboot.

​You should be able to tell as ALL data would be erased if a true reset was carried out.

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

When you unpair a device the navigation doesn't re-appear. It just says that it wants a device to be connected and paired with it. The option to use its own built in system is totally missing. It doesn't seem possible to do a factory reset. The dealership went through the menu to remove all personal data, and also tried disconnecting the power for 10 minutes. Nobody seems to know how to actually perform a full factory reset though.

-I tried doing a reset of the unit (Press and hold the lower knob on the multimedia controls)

The knob holding might just be a reboot.

Factory reset is initiated from the User Settings menu. Have you tried this method ?

It's on the second page of user settings so is not immediately obvious that you have to scroll the screen left to see the extra options

The knob holding might just be a reboot.

Factory reset is initiated from the User Settings menu. Have you tried this method ?

It's on the second page of user settings so is not immediately obvious that you have to scroll the screen left to see the extra options

Scroll the screen left? It doesn't go left and right for me. Just up and down. On the second page there is 'Delete User Data' which is the nearest I can find to a factory reset. I tried this more than once but no luck sadly.

Even in the service menu there was no option to do a factory reset.

Ok I've has another look.

The factory reset is accessed from WITHIN the Nav application, which you can't open.

Agggggggghhhhhh

Why in the name of all that's holy is a master override function only accessible from a sub system........ What I think is unprintable ...

You need to get to this

IMAG1270_zpsxw2kxwst.jpg

Which you can't

It's beaten me .

my only thought is this probably initiates a factory reset on the Nav only as an option if it has an unrecoverable crash.

What you need to do is factory reset the X-touch

One of the techs at Toyota must know how to do this surely.

Another thought. How did you get to the service menu?

You could be in service mode an until you exit ( how?) And some functions may be disabled.

Grabbing at straws now I'm afraid.

Ok I've has another look.

The factory reset is accessed from WITHIN the Nav application, which you can't open.

Agggggggghhhhhh

Why in the name of all that's holy is a master override function only accessible from a sub system........ What I think is unprintable ...

You need to get to this

IMAG1270_zpsxw2kxwst.jpg

Which you can't

It's beaten me .

my only thought is this probably initiates a factory reset on the Nav only as an option if it has an unrecoverable crash.

What you need to do is factory reset the X-touch

One of the techs at Toyota must know how to do this surely.

Another thought. How did you get to the service menu?

You could be in service mode an until you exit ( how?) And some functions may be disabled.

Grabbing at straws now I'm afraid.

You enter service mode by holding the bottom knob in from the homescreen and flicking the headlights on and off 3 times. You leave it by doing the same, or just removing the key from ignition. Its a totally different screen you get, and its all Pioneer branded. As I said I was going to do the software update, but for some reason the hidden buttons won't respond in order for me to navigate around in order to get to the updater. I'm starting to think that flashing an update is the only way I will get full factory settings.

Yeah - personally I'd stop fiddling and let Toyota sort it out

I would have though a 4 day old car would be on the latest software release - so I'm surprised you apparently managed to find an "update".

Looks like you X-Nav system has failed to start up if the icon on X-Touch has faded out. Is the Green light on where the SD card is fitted?

As said before turn off your bluetooth and slide the SD card backwards and back to closed again

Ensure the SD card cover is firmly closed, it will not work if the cover is slid open

• Like 1

Hi everyone. Thanks again for the replies. For some reason multiquote won't work for me, so I will just have to address each point manually myself.

-Yes, the software update I found is definitely a new version than the one that is currently running on the system. I guess the touch computers were manufactured some time in advance and just fitted into the cars as and when they are produced. They don't necessarily have to update them prior to sale, if its already working as it stands. The GPS Maps were also dated 2014, backing up this suggestion.

-The door is firmly shut on the MicroSD Reader. The green light is on.

-Its not that navigation is greyed out. Its that the option simply does not exist. From the main menu if I touch 'Connection' at the top right, where you would normally get the option between 'Smartphone' and 'Navi' that screen no longer shows. Instead it goes straight to a screen saying its waiting for a device to be connected, even if there is nothing paired or even associated with the car. If I do tether a phone I get the weird mirrorlink thing, but still no built in navigation.

-I got curious and put the MicroSD Card in my computer. Its an 8GB Card, and there is 8GB Free. There is nothing on it. No hidden files. Nothing. So either the X-Touch unit copies the maps to internal memory as a one off to stop people from sharing memory cards so everyone has to pay for navigation if they want it in their car, OR the memory card has corrupted or formatted itself and lost all the software... To find out which of these is the case, if one of you takes out the navi card from your car and starts up without it in, or with a MicroSD Card from their phone maybe which doesnt contain the navi software, what happens when you touch the 'Connection' option at the top right of the screen?

Hi everyone. Thanks again for the replies. For some reason multiquote won't work for me, so I will just have to address each point manually myself.

-Yes, the software update I found is definitely a new version than the one that is currently running on the system. I guess the touch computers were manufactured some time in advance and just fitted into the cars as and when they are produced. They don't necessarily have to update them prior to sale, if its already working as it stands. The GPS Maps were also dated 2014, backing up this suggestion.

-Its not that navigation is greyed out. Its that the option simply does not exist. From the main menu if I touch 'Connection' at the top right, where you would normally get the option between 'Smartphone' and 'Navi' that screen no longer shows. Instead it goes straight to a screen saying its waiting for a device to be connected, even if there is nothing paired or even associated with the car. If I do tether a phone I get the weird mirrorlink thing, but still no built in navigation.

-I got curious and put the MicroSD Card in my computer. Its an 8GB Card, and there is 8GB Free. There is nothing on it. No hidden files. Nothing. So either the X-Touch unit copies the maps to internal memory as a one off to stop people from sharing memory cards so everyone has to pay for navigation if they want it in their car, OR the memory card has corrupted or formatted itself and lost all the software... To find out which of these is the case, if one of you takes out the navi card from your car and starts up without it in, or with a MicroSD Card from their phone maybe which doesnt contain the navi software, what happens when you touch the 'Connection' option at the top right of the screen?

When fitting the X-Nav there is an update in software to the X-Touch to tell it that its fitted. If you dont update this software then the X-nav can be fitted but ithe X-touch wont respond with the icon missing. I recon whatever has happened the software needs checking by your dealer. If the icon is just greyed out the x-nav is at fault is the SD door is not shut correctly.

I have checked an SD card and there are 2 folders with charts and POI. Either way I think the dealer needs to take a look, they can swap an SD card to double check

When fitting the X-Nav there is an update in software to the X-Touch to tell it that its fitted. If you dont update this software then the X-nav can be fitted but ithe X-touch wont respond with the icon missing. I recon whatever has happened the software needs checking by your dealer. If the icon is just greyed out the x-nav is at fault is the SD door is not shut correctly.

I have checked an SD card and there are 2 folders with charts and POI. Either way I think the dealer needs to take a look, they can swap an SD card to double check

"-Yes, the software update I found is definitely a new version than the one that is currently running on the system. "

That's quite interesting as I have recently been assured by Toyota uk that no update is available or planned for the current build of the X Touch /XNav firmware.

my car is older than yours, yet, apparently, has the latest version of everything installed.

I've had a look on the internet and simply cannot find any updates Likely I'm looking in the wrong place.

Are you able to post a link to where you got the update?

From what Cougar has said it looks somehow that the Nav plug in has been uninstalled from the X Touch .....Our a corrupt/blank SD has forced the XPlay back to non Nav mode.

Curious !

"-Yes, the software update I found is definitely a new version than the one that is currently running on the system. "

That's quite interesting as I have recently been assured by Toyota uk that no update is available or planned for the current build of the X Touch /XNav firmware.

my car is older than yours, yet, apparently, has the latest version of everything installed.

I've had a look on the internet and simply cannot find any updates Likely I'm looking in the wrong place.

Are you able to post a link to where you got the update?

From what Cougar has said it looks somehow that the Nav plug in has been uninstalled from the X Touch .....Our a corrupt/blank SD has forced the XPlay back to non Nav mode.

Curious !

Hi,

The software update can be found here:

http://stream.toyota-motor-europe.com/aftersales/NAVI/MM/Aygo/XTOUCH+RC1+software+update.zip

It is newer than what it is currently running, but as I said I was unable to navigate the service menu with hidden buttons.

I can't take it in until next month to book it in properly and get it looked at thoroughly. If they manage to fix it I will be sure to update this thread (if it doesn't lock itself due to inactivity as I know some forums do) and let you all know what it was and how it was sorted out.

OK thanks.

I've not opened the zip but the URL contains RC1

This is a release candidate not something yet available to the customers for update.

Release candidates ( also known as beta versions) are untested "final" versions that are then sent for testing.

I'm impressed you found it but I'm not sure it's an official release

I haven't looked yet but does the zip contain update guide, changelog and what versions this affects i.e what version you have to be on to apply the update?

Hello,

I have the new Toyota Aygo 2015 and had the same problem to disappear the NAVI button and try connecting to device. Sailboat the vehicle to the dealership and found that the cable was loose.

Dear Mr. PaddedPuppy, I think your problem might also be related to disconnected cable.

At.,

CYK

• 8 months later...

I have the same problem with my navi icon no longer showing,I'll try some of the suggestions on here.

• 2 months later...

Those hidden buttons are in the corners of the screen.  A is top left corner, B is bottom left, C is bottom right.   So the sequence A, B, C, A is done by touching the screen corners.