Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hill Start Assist Slip Indicator Light

Kregjig

Hi everyone,just a query about hill start ,my 2013 Yaris hybrid would light up the slip indicator on dash when you engage the hill start by pushing brake to the floor,I recently purchased a new Yaris and when I try the hill start the light doesn't come on anymore,is this a change in operation or could there be something wrong with slip indicator,I will ask the dealer just don't want to look silly,,I'm wondering does anyone else have a new Yaris hybrid that reacts the same way. Thx peeps

I guess it might not be installed on your new Yaris, I see you are in Southern Ireland, you often take a lower specification car in Ireland compared to other markets due to tax implications, I would check with your dealer to see if it is installed

Normally by pushing hard on the brake pedal you get a beep sound to indicate the brake is locked, do you hear any sounds?

Thanks for your reply the thing is I tried it on a hill and it is working just the slip indicator light and beep doesn't come on like last Yaris,I know I'm nit picking about it but my worry is that the abs and hill start are somehow connected with the light and just in case it's not all working correctly...I'm going to the dealer this afternoon and see if there demo Yaris hybrid works the same,I will let u know what happens,cheers

Well I went to the dealer to sort it out,so I tried there demo model which is exact same.the same thing no slip indicator light on it either so not a fault in mine.the mechanic says that the hill start senses you're on a hill and works automatically without having to press as hard on the brakes down to the floor, the slip light and beep doesn't operate anymore.toyota just must ave updated this without clarifying it properly

... the slip light and beep doesn't operate anymore.toyota just must ave updated this without clarifying it properly

What does the handbook say?

4-5. Using the driving support 213
Driving assist systems
To help enhance driving safety and performance, the following systems operate automatically in response to various driving situations. Be aware, however, that these systems are supple- mentary and should not be relied upon too heavily when operat- ing the vehicle.

ECB (Electronically Controlled Brake System)
The electronically controlled system generates braking force corresponding to the brake operation

ABS (Anti-lock Brake System)
Helps to prevent wheel lock when the brakes are applied suddenly, or if the brakes are applied while driving on a slippery road surface

Brake assist
Generates an increased level of braking force after the brake pedal is depressed when the system detects a panic stop situation

VSC (Vehicle Stability Control)
Helps the driver to control skidding when swerving suddenly or turning on slippery road surfaces

TRC (Traction Control)
Helps to maintain drive power and prevent the drive wheels from spinning when starting the vehicle or accelerating on slippery roads

Hill-start assist control
Prevents the vehicle from rolling backward when starting on an incline or slippery slope

EPS (Electric Power Steering)
Employs an electric motor to reduce the amount of effort needed to turn the steering wheel

Operating conditions of hill-start assist control
When the following four conditions are met, the hill-start assist control will operate:
The shift lever is in a position other than P or N (when starting off forward/ backward on an upward incline).
The vehicle is stopped.
The accelerator pedal is not depressed. The parking brake is not engaged.
Automatic system cancelation of hill-start assist control
The hill-start assist control will turn off in any of the following situations: The shift lever is moved to P or N.
The accelerator pedal is depressed.
The parking brake is engaged.
Approximately 2 seconds elapse after the brake pedal is released.

It says " the following systems operate automatically" and the detailed description for hill-start assist makes no mention of lights or sounds, so their presence should not be expected.

Never assume that a function will be the same in a different year's model - manufacturers are continually changing and tweaking systems, especially these days when it can be done with a fairly trivial software amendment.

I expect lighting the slip indicator caused no end of people calling their dealer to ask what the problem was.

Read and be guided by the manual for the specific model and year you have.

Thanks for your reply mikesh,what annoyed me about the manual was that it didn't tell you how to use the hill start,now I know it says it works automatically but I still have to press slightly harder on the brakes for the brakes to engage ,,,you can hear some solenoid or something making noise,,I don't know why they changed it I rather the light to come on telling you the brakes were locked

Thanks for your reply mikesh,what annoyed me about the manual was that it didn't tell you how to use the hill start,now I know it says it works automatically but I still have to press slightly harder on the brakes for the brakes to engage ,,,you can hear some solenoid or something making noise,,I don't know why they changed it I rather the light to come on telling you the brakes were locked

I rather agree with you. I like to have some positive indication that functions like that are operating, but dual-use of lights intended for other things (the slip light in this case) can cause great confusion to the technically challenged - meaning about 90% of car drivers.

My non-Toyota is a fairly high spec US car which has a digital read-out that often provides a helpful message, such as "Passenger door ajar" to clarify the multitude of bleeps it is prone to emitting. But quite often I'm sat thinking "WTF is that noise telling me" because I don't think to look at the display - or by the time I do it's moved on.

Personally I'd rather not have most of these 'features'. Just something else to go wrong and of limited value in most cases.