Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

63 Plate 1.6 Auris Sport Rolls Down Hill With Handbrake On

tribon60

this is the second time this has happened to my car and today it was damaged ,i have a small incline up to my garage at the side of my house ,today i reversed up the drive ,stopped in front of the garage door ,stopping the car with the foot brake ,then applying the handbrake to 3 clicks ,the car has only got 8000 mile on the clock so 3 clicks is quite hard to click in ,got out went into the house ,about 10 mins later i heard a bang and looked out and my car had rolled down the small incline and into the wall ,it did this once before and i took it to the garage to be checked ,but no fault found ,i have my own idea and have proved it and again today ,when driving up the incline if i press the foot brake hard it brings on the hill assist,mind i am reversing up the incline ,if you apply the hand brake to 3 clicks when the light is still flashing ,once it goes off the car starts to roll forward ,you actually hear the motor for the hill assist , any body any other ideas or anybody had any thing the same

Leave it in gear?

• Like 1

I think the foot operated brake is really crap. This is same problem I am currently experiencing with a Mercedes, the foot operating brake doesent hold properly!! Yet I had it all tested and brake efficiency was 45% which is more than enough for the handbrake. I heard that the only way to correct this is to have the brake tightened, this has to be done manually by removing the whole wheel and it is costly. I have a manual so I just leave it in gear.

Probably something as simple as when the discs cool, they contract, the pressure applied by the brake pads lessens and, combined with the weight of the car, the handbrake doesn't hold. Probably nothing wrong with the handbrake - the car should be left in the appropriate gear when parking on a slope or hill.

Extract from the highway code:

Parking on hills.

If you park on a hill you should:

• park close to the kerb and apply the handbrake firmly
  • select a forward gear and turn your steering wheel away from the kerb when facing uphill
  • select reverse gear and turn your steering wheel towards the kerb when facing downhill
  • use ‘park’ if your car has an automatic gearbox.

hc_rule_252_when_parking_turn_your_wheel

• Like 1

As i said it is a incline not a hill, the drive at my house, also the brakes were not really that warm, i had only driven 4 miles, and the car is newish only 8000 miles and the hand brake was firmly on, 3 clicks, as i said and I repeated the incident, if you pull the hand brake on normally the car holds on the incline, but if when reversing up and you are heavy on the brakes and the hill assist light starts operating light flashing on the dash pull the hand brake on, with the hill assist deactivates the car can roll forward, anybody else found this

Whether it is a slope, an incline, a mountainside or a hill, putting the vehicle in the appropriate gear would prevent the car from rolling away.

• Like 2

does it tell you to do that in the toyota owners hand book ,i think not ,this is a flaw in the system ,between the hill assist and applying the hand brake ,i am not in the habit of leaving a car in gear ,when parking up ,i do not need to do it in my yaris or aygo ,if i park on the same incline

This sounds daft until you can figure out how to do it I would personally put a chock in front of a wheel when you get out .... Maybe as your parking up rather than stopping on the footbrake and holding it there you could slowly reverse up and when you get to where you want just put the handbrake on instead .... Also is it an auto or a manual ....

And a hill is any sort of incline but that shouldn't matter .... You could just turn the hill assist off when you near your home and you intend to park up ..... I remember Vauxhalls had a similar problem a few yrs ago

does

it tell you to do that in the toyota owners hand book ,i think not

,this is a flaw in the system ,between the hill assist and applying the

hand brake ,i am not in the habit of leaving a car in gear ,when parking

up ,i do not need to do it in my yaris or aygo ,if i park on the same

incline

Auris manual page 146:

When parking on a hill, shift the shift lever to 1 or R. If necessary,

block the wheels.

• Like 1

Did the Yaris or the Aygo have hill assist?

I don't think so,you have to compare like with like.

Your car is still under warranty so why not ask the garage if you can take a similar model that is fitted with hill assist home and try it on your slope.

If the loan car moves then the "problem"is common to the car and you will have to adjust driving/ parking to compensate.

If its fine then your car has a problem,its that simple.

If it is common to another car then leaving your car in gear would be the only option,with my automatic I have to put it in P before the key can be removed so putting a car into gear on a hill is no big deal.

My cousins Saab 9-3 it has to be in gear to take the keys out I think to lock it in gear probably because where they are developed has ice,snow, hills incline drives ... But this happened to the wife in her first car luckily she was still next to the car but she then jumped in and put it in gear

whats all the answers I read about leaving it in gear ,how many people on this site or forum leave there cars in gear when they get out ,not many I bet and also leaving it in gear is just masking a fault problem with the hand brake /hill assist ,also how can you switch it off ,is comes on when you apply the foot brake hard ,yes I could just take it easy reversing up my drive which I have done for nearly 30 years ,with various models of Toyotas ,I also own a yaris and a aygo ,so why do I need to go to the dealer to try another vehicle ,There was also another member on this forum I think her name was Olga who had the same problem her car rolled away with the handbrake on across the street and into a bollard ,also why would I need to chock the wheels every time I park ,do Toyota supply a chock with there cars ,I ONLY asked if anybody else had similar problems with there Toyota auris ,not all these ways to mask the problem ,if any body has had a similar problem ,please add it ,I think Toyota must be made aware of it ,local dealer not interested

I haven't driven an Auris with hill-assist, but AFAIK it enables when you press the footbrake hard enough, and by reading one of the earlier posts on this thread, it gives you a flashing parking brake light to tell you it's kicked in.

So, although I totally agree it's an epic fail for the handbrake not to work if applied while the hill-assist is enabled, I have a couple of suggestions: One is not to push the brake hard enough for it to kick in. The other is related to the flashing light... What happens if you put the car in neutral while the light is flashing - does it release the hill-assist? Or similarly if you change into D or N instead of R? Alternatively how does it release, is it after a second or so (like a Citroen one we formerly owned), or is it related to the strain on the engine when you move off (like the auto handbrake release on manual T27 Avensis)?

I'd come up with a plan for beating it somehow.

• Like 1

My wife always does leave it in gear but also the handbrake is a self adjusting system .... Self adjusting systems and hill assist systems don't normally work well together and not everyone can pull their handbrake up enough to hold the car on a hill so they use the gears ... My wife's dad handbrake snapped at work he had to park on a slope on his drive just put it in gear and it held with no handbrake ... It's not a way to mask a problem at all its a parking brake the handbrake is designed so you stop the car and not have to hold a footbrake and is designed to hold the weight to a degree .... last time I checked a yaris and an auto wasn't an Auris ... If you go through your handbook I'm sure you will be able to turn it off .... Lots of people come into the garage wanting to turn it off and they don't know how ... On all sorts of cars ... Just go thru the handbook or Google it .... The idea of the chock is so you can try different methods to see if you can fault find yourself stopping your car rolling away and hitting the wall again I'd rather spend a fiver on a chock or Find a brick and chick the well than replace a bumper or headlights or a wing or pay for paint. No one is questioning your driving ability at 30 yrs experience were just simply saying try methods to solve your issue then you can go to Toyota and say oi sort it out ... Trialling another car will find out whether all cars do it or it's just a fault on your car in particular ... I was suggesting using the handbrake to stop and avoiding the footbrake to remove the hill assist from the equation to see if it's a caliper fault or something in the handbrake system itself ... You only need to chick the wheels until you found out how to to stop it ... I've known lots of cars come on the garage with this sort of thing happening in recent years

I am the reverse to you. My Auris Tourer (has hill start) I reverse down my drive, its a gentle slope (I did not steal that word off Clarkson lol) The car is always left in gear, I learned to drive about 37 years ago, when cars and brakes were pants. It is good practice to leave a car in gear (as the Highway code says) you never know when something fails, a cable may break, or you just might not pull the brake on hard enough. It always pays to have a plan B, I would sooner leave it in gear even if it never fails, than leave it out of gear only to roll away if something goes wrong

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Reading my manual the Hill assist is cancelled and the buzzer sound twice in the following circumstances.

No attempt to drive the vehicle within 2 secs of releasing the brake pedal.

When the parking brake is applied

Plus a couple more things.

That is why I said go and try another car with hill assist,if that one works fine,you get on to Toyota customer service and ask the question.

Of course you shouldn't need to leave your car in gear or stick bricks under the wheels just because you have hill assist.

There are thousands of cars with hill assist and park with no problem on hills and slopes,that is why I say try another car.

One question,does it happen every time you park or just now and again?

I was not looking for away of masking it i was bring it to the forum to let people know of a potential fault, yes i might start leaving it in gear but as ageneral rule of thumb i donot, as i said some called olga had already posted on the forum the same problem, my car was damaged, yesterday by this i will need to fork out to get it repaired i was only letting members know what to look out for, any as a over 55 male driver with a clean licence and 30 plus years myself of Toyota overshot I am not trying to diss the brand my next new car will be a Toyota but I thought this was what the forum was about, relaying information to others and my job i am a vehicle examiner for the ministry so i check out a lot of systems on different vehicles, so i still think there is a fault or flaw between the two systems

This is my point from working in a garage people come in experiencing the same problems give or take the amount of time it takes a lot of cars turns out is the major element between them is a self adjusting handbrake ( gm are the biggest culprits ) but also other firms the worst seem to be the ones with an electronic parking brake as well as hill assist ... The systems seem to fight over themselves then they at some point it just releases the car ... I've never had a Toyota come in and with it which is why we are saying play with systems to see if you can find a fault ... That's all the bricks or chicks are for just to save yourself the hassle of running after it ... I think the only recall I've ever heard of for this sort of fault was gm the rest seem to be more like individual cases ... I suppose it's cost the hill assist systems aren't cheap. It could also be that when you put on the hill assist from stopping it engages the electric motor for it thus applying a certain amount of brake pressure to hold it you put the handbrake on it holds the car and then when you leave the car and it eventually disengages from electrical draw down for the system or timer however it works then there's a loss of pressure I.e no front brakes and also loss on rears due to the fluid release 3 clicks sounds awfully low but as you said it's fairly new

My Aygo MMT auto I always park up and leave in gear, even on the level unless its just for stopping at the petrol station. Leaving it in gear will solve this issue. I don't have hill assist but my handbrake on slopes and left in gear has never moved.

any body any other ideas

I was not looking for away of masking it i was bring it to the forum to let people know of a potential fault

I thought this was what the forum was about, relaying information to others

I can obviously only speak for my own post, but I posted based on my interpretation of the above quoted part of your original post. I thought you were also looking for ideas to help avoid your problem. My mistake, sorry :)

Hi mate I think I have found the problem.Your rear shoes need adjusting. There's an adjuster in the drum/disc but it's not great at self adjusting. If the rear wheels are removed, you can line up the holes for the wheel bolts with the cog and spin it tighter with a screwdriver through the hole. Easier than removing the disc... Rear brake At 8,000 miles it's gone from brand new, to nicely bedded in and surfaces mated, so just get it tightened. It'll then last far longer than 8,000 miles again as it won't have had the bed in period.

Not sure on the Toyota Auris but whats the max clicks it goes too? Im having same issue with Mercedes and its doing my head in because it keeps rolling in the drive which is at the slightest of slightest incline.

Just as a heads up, my Auris has hill assist and you really have to press hard on the brake pedal to get it to kick in. I'd get it looked at if it kicks in on a normal gentle slope stop.

D.

to end this post i put up,thanks to all that reposted ,the car has rolled away 2 in a year ,i do normally drive very slowly up my drive ,i reverse up ,the car sits normally with the handbrake on firmly at 3 clicks ,on very rare occasions when i am heavy footed on the brake i can bring the hill assist on ,i now park it with 4 clicks on which is hard to get to ,but me ,the wife and my next door neibourgh were amazed on friday when the car rolled down the small incline by itself ,with the handbrakeON,when i got into the car through the passenger door ,the first thing i check was that i had applied the handbrake ,i did at 3 clicks up which is normally firm ,thats all i am saying ,also the was another post on the forum by another member about the same thing to her auris ,only that hers went accross a street and into a bollard ,i was only pointing out a potential fault ,i will need to get my wing and bumper sorted ,i was fuming at the time ,and thought i had forgot to apply the handbrake but ,this happened a good 10 mins after i had parked the car ,i have replicated the fault ,driver up the incline slowly ,stop at my garage door ,press the footbrake until the hill assist flashes ,car holds ,apply the hanbrake ,then the hill assist clicks off,the car then rolls forward ,please no more was to mask this problem

Thread locked as OP wishes to end thread

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links