Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Verso 1.8 Valvematic Or 1.6 D-4D?

torr

hi,

I was trying to find threat regarding this topic on this forum, but could not:-( , Im sorry if I overlooked it.

Im considering to buy new Toyota Verso. Annually I drive about 20000 miles to work. I would like to ask for your advice what is better choice, if 1.8 Valvematic or 1.6 D-4D ?

That 1.6 diesel is cost efficient but Im not sure if it is also reliable.

Many thanks

Tomas

The 1.6 D4D is the BMW diesel engine that was introduced in the Verso from December 2013, to replace the Toyota 2.0 D4D. Most of the Verso's competitors had moved towards smaller diesel units of around 1.6 litres, and using the BMW unit is an easy way for Toyota to make the change and meet forthcoming emissions regulations, without having to design and build an entirely new unit.

As regards reliability, it is too early yet to make an informed decision.

The same 1.6 D4D will be going into the facelifted Auris and Avensis - both of which go on sale later this summer.

Both the 1.8 Valvematic engine and 1.6 D4D are proving to be very reliable. Based on your mileage of 20,000 a year I would have said the Diesel would be the better choice with lower car Tax, Better fuel economy and longer service intervals of 12,500miles on the diesel compared with 10,000 miles on the Petrol

Hi Tomas,

I own a 2014/'64 Verso 1.8 Valvematic. I choose the car quite simply for its performance over the diesel engine which I've heard is not as responsive and lacks the 'punch' of the earlier diesel engine. When driving I find the car has the power and acceleration to overtake safely on motorways and can offer a sportier drive if I'm driving alone. I know its still early days but so far I haven't experienced any reliability issues.

Regards,

Gary

The 1.8VVTi has been around for a while and most of the kinks have been worked out by now so it should be very reliable.

It's a nice engine to drive, and I assumed it was quite thirsty but we've had a few Verso owners say they'd gotten mpgs not that far off the 2.0 diesel ones when doing mostly motorway miles.

The 1.6 BMW diesel is still very new on Toyota cars and doesn't have a long track record like the 1.4D4D and 2.0 D4D's; I don't think I've seen any issues posted about them here, but I suspect that's partly because we don't have many people who actually have one on this forum, so it's hard to say for sure.

I don't think it's been around long enough for us to know if it'll have issues that we've seen on the older D4Ds, e.g. EGR and DPF sooting, etc. but if you're using it for distance driving then those shouldn't be an issue for you anyway.

The 1.6 should be more economical for motorway runs.

Have you looked at the Prius+ BTW? It's basically a Verso Hybrid. Might be another option worth looking at. I'm not sure whether the HSD+battery compromises the load space significantly vs the normal Verso tho'.

• 1 year later...

I've come late into this topic. but I have a 2013 verso 1.8 valvematic. it's a joy to ride. wife and I love to drive it. effortless and smooth. 

but as I have always been a diesel driver I still get niggles whether I should have bought a diesel rather than petrol. I do near enough 8000 miles year. I do 4 trips to work a week 25 miles all together a day, back and forth. and on a slow week do around 20ish miles. that costs me 30 quid for a week and going into the next. basically 5 trips to work. 

I've had the car 5 months and have been talking to the dealer and he has a verso 2014 1.6d4d. so now I do not know if I should go for it or not. I maybe in a little loss in money. but if I add it maybe it's a loss but investep into a diesel. 

my mate has a 2.0d4d. 20 quid gets him 200 miles. and 30 quid gets me 200 miles. so 10 quid for 100 miles on diesel and 15 quid for 100 miles on petrol. 1.6d4d should be slightly higher maybe extra 30 to 50 miles. give or take.

also tax on petrol is 185 and diesel 30 quid. that's 150 quid difference. 

so really not sure. 

replies will be most welcome.

Imo for that mileage & type of trip stick to petrol. You will almost certainly have DPF issues at some point with a diesel & the extra maintenance cost will negate any fuel saving.

• Like 2

I think its very easy to get blinded by the fuel consumption of diesels and not look at the other costs. Unless the dealer will do a near straight-swap of your '13 petrol for a '14 diesel (unlikely), then at 8000 miles per year it would take you a number of years to recoup the extra expense of the part exchange through improved MPG. Perhaps if you were covering 20k+ per year it might be worth it. Also personally I would never buy a car based on its annual road tax, as its something that can be changed on a whim by the chancellor in the budget every year.

We bought a diesel Avensis for my wife as she used to have a long commute to work. Sod's law a few months later she changed jobs and now works 5 miles down the road, and the engine never even gets properly warmed up. As a result I take it on a decent run every couple of weeks just to get it hot and clear the DPF etc! Not that it's ever given any trouble at all, but I do wish now we'd gone for the 1.8 petrol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yossarian247 said:

this is exactly why I went for petrol. cause when I work out my mileage and costs. then petrol is probably little more when filling up, but diesel costs can be extreme. I bought a mitsubishi grandis ( shame they don't make them anymore) but within weeks it was choking on the motorway.  only to find out the fuel injectors had gone. that was pricey to fix. got rid of it and thought I can't trust a dealer unless I have some warranty on it and a main dealer. which I'm happy with Toyota for that.

had a ford c max which had a split turbo pipe over time which cost 150 or more to fix.

so I should know better by now lol. 

thank you

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links