Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Noob Question About Services

avensismonkey

Hi all, I've just bought a 2012 Avensis Tourer and it has around 54k on the clock. It hasn't had a service since 41k so it's due a full service (and first MOT next month) My question is this:

Is it 'better' to take it to a Toyota garage as it still has 2 years left on warranty? Or can I take it to my local garage that has always been fantastic for me (if anything required can they claim on warranty?)

If going to the Toyota garage is better, is the Full+ service worth looking at given I've just purchased it?

Many thanks in advance!

it's overdue a service by 3,000 miles - if it ever needs warranty work that is probably outside Toyota's guidelines of what constitutes a reasonable service history ... The 40k service should have been a big service.

Ignoring the above as long as the services are done to Toyota's timetable & with equal quality or better consumable/parts to those which they stipulate (keep all receipts to prove) then your local garage can do the work. Some work may require access to Toyota systems that an independent is unlikely to have & I'm fairly certain that warranty work will have to be pre-approved which will probably require a visit to a Toyota dealer for inspection.

• Like 2

Might have a problem as regards the warranty - servicing on the Avensis is every 12 months or 12,500 miles, whichever occurs first.

Toyota allow a leeway of one month/1000 miles, whichever occurs first.

• Like 1

Thank you both for the replies. I wasn't aware the tardy services from the previous owner was a problem. I've booked it in with local Toyota garage and will see what they say, though I'm sure you're right!

Ask Toyota if they will still allow it to be under warranty. I was in same situation, I brought the car and it was 5k over the service recommendations... (The car came with a free service so I dont understand why the previous owner dident service it! It was free!!!) My dealer let me off and said its fine. After I went back a few times to have small parts changed under warranty, they did it without negotiation.

• Like 1

Thanks! I was wondering if they might do something like that for me so this has made me more hopeful :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd follow this up with what happened. I booked it in for full service/MOT with Toyota dealer and in the MOT they picked up that the anti roll bar drop link boots needed replacing. I didn't ask if it was still under warranty (I thought I'd leave it and see what they said) and they said the roll bar work was under warranty. Just picked it up today and all sorted!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links